Active Topics

So I just got my 2nd brand new Nokia N9.
As soon as I got it, I took the sim out of my trusty old E71 and put it in. Next thing, turn it on and after regular setup of time and language got the Nokia Account settings (as normal on all N9). Then I connect to my WiFi and I hit 'I already have an account" and then what do I see? My Nokia account username is prefilled, all I had to do was enter my password. How did this information got there on the brand new sealed N9?
My mind's been boggled with this, how is nokia attaching my info with the Nokia Account and with what info did it pull my user-name. Was it the phone number on that SIM or the WiFi (thats the only two I can think they could link my info to).
Anybody was aware of this?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
It seems that you've bought yourself a stalker! Watch out!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bandora For This Useful Post:
Posts: 405 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
If you logged into your Nokia account from one phone and use the same SIM in another, the SIM info (either number or ID) has been associated with your account so it can tell who you are. Magic.

Posts: 314 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Bratislava, Slovakia
it's perfectly normal, I had the same situation with my brand new N9s...I'm guessing it's a matter of the sim being put into the phone, which Nokia then recognizes and automatically links with your account username..
sorry, I was late

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jleholeho For This Useful Post:
Scary... Really...

Sorry...

"Gods have mercy. Cats don't..." <- Kaotik@iotech

The Following User Says Thank You to catbus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
My guess is that it silently SMSed Nokia when you turned it on, and Nokia seeing from your phone number that you already had an account silently SMSed back your account details to your new N9. This is pure speculation, but perfectly feasible.

And then you enter your Nokia password and all your contacts will automagically appear on the phone... it's magic I tell you! MAGIC!

Posts: 77 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ United Kingdom
My days.. These phones are getting too intelligent. Its like when I had the phone in FLIGHT MODE, and wanted to try maps in flight mode. As soon as I opened maps. The phone already knew my location. WiThout any search time it got a GPS lock. Despite the gps being disabled... And only turned on as I was about to use maps, well so I can remember.