Active Topics

They simply want to make a stylish device for fashionable women, not a usable device for engineers.
Or even not a usable device for anyone, like all those hordes of random chinese laptops on Aliexpress with similar (intentional?) shortcomings, which feel like their developers created them without the intent to use those laptops themselves, but only to sell them abroad to stupid laowai's.

I forgot to mention eMMC storage and 1920x1200 resolution on 7" display in this GPD laptop.
If they really wanted to make a usable device they would use SSD instead. Even if that would make the price $30 higher - any person considering to buy this device would pay that extra $30 with no regrets.
Is it so difficult to make a dedicated hole for the Power button on the side of the laptop, or just near the LCD? Is it so difficult to add a few informational LEDs? I may be wrong but I cant see even the Power/Charging LED.
Why would Atom need an active cooling? To lower the temperature for incredible 10° from magma hot 50°C to ice cold 40°C? For the cost of making the device thickness 2cm instead of 1cm?
And for the sake of perfection - why not use the beautiful idea of magnetic power plug from older macbooks? China/Hongkong does not care about the patents infrigdements anyway.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to meego_leenooks1 For This Useful Post:
I could definitely see myself getting one of these. Slightly annoyed that the battery isn't 'replaceable' - it looks pretty sturdy, and I imagine I'd kill that before anything else. Still, if it ends up popular I'm sure you'll be able to pick something aftermarket up.

eta - Most of the info I've found in English on this seems to be scattered through this thread:

http://boards.dingoonity.org/gpd-win...7-inch-laptop/

Last edited by MikeHG; 2017-02-12 at 17:04.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MikeHG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 253 | Thanked: 1,007 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Near Munich
Originally Posted by meego_leenooks1 View Post
... eMMC storage and 1920x1200 resolution on 7" display in this GPD laptop.
... active cooling? To lower the temperature for incredible 10° from magma hot 50°C to ice cold 40°C? For the cost of making the device thickness 2cm instead of 1cm?
eMMC Storage does not have to be slow nowadays. It may not be as fast as an SSD, but for everything you throw at this mini Laptop it is very unlikely to be the bottleneck.
R/W of 200/100 MB/s and 4k IOPS are quite affordable and
R/W of 120/50 MB/s and 2k IOPS are really cheap (and still way better than the average HDD except on linear writes)
We will have to wait to see what they use.
Also such small SSDs are still quite expensive I think.

323 PPI is only a bit higher PPI-wise than 800x480 at 3.5" (267 PPI),
I would not accept anything less than Full HD for any laptop I get, even such a small one.

Regarding active cooling I also doubt the benefits, but they can't make the case thinner anyway, the ports wouldn't fit.

The power button is placed poorly, but it should be easy to configure the OS to respond to a press accordingly.
And yes, a LED would be welcome, Actually I would like a configurable status LED even more than a power LED

The FN key will be annoying.
I use a Lenovo for a year now and its still annoying because on every other device its the other way round.

Resistive Multitouch would be awesome. Even two point.
Also I would love to have an integrated LTE modem
(and a bit smaller, and make the screen a slider and ... )

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Macros For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
Originally Posted by meego_leenooks1

> Active Cooling
> Fn left from Ctrl
> Power button on the main keyboard, next to Del

Why.
God, why.

They must have the Lenovo designers on their team.
I had a keyboard like that once ( {Power} next to {Del}).

It was eventually useful for demonstrating to my workshop assistants
in a HSE training session why you should not use
angle grinders on equipment that is in a powered on state.
(No worries - the CPU involved was on an ACER motherboard).
Wish I had made a video, but an oversight at the time.

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
The more I read about the new device the more I am inclined to hope that the real benefit of GPD Pocket will be the price drop of GPD Win

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
I guess they left out an ethernet port due to the thickness, but I think it would be really useful on a device like this, which I would use as a troubleshooting machine.

The USB C to ethernet adapters are expensive and many of them have bad reviews (does anyone know any good ones?)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 253 | Thanked: 1,007 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Near Munich
USB 3.0 to ethernet adapters work well. Also many USB 3.0 hubs with an ethernet port work perfectly fine.
I guess these will be better choices till USB C adapters become affordable and reliable.

Regarding active cooling:
It seems this really brings big benefits for this Atom.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-....152645.0.html
The device is in some aspects very similar to the GPD Pocket.
Resolution, RAM size, use of eMMC.
Note the eMMC of the tablet is especially bad as noted in the test.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Macros For This Useful Post:
Thats what I'm talking about - eMMC is totally OK for a cheap mobile phone but it's not OK for a modern laptop. Also I've seen several reports that cheap chinese eMMC chips tend to fail quite soon.
I think even the cheapest noname M.2 SSD would be faster and more reliable than this, apparently cheapest and noname too, eMMC.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to meego_leenooks1 For This Useful Post:
I'm not too fussed about the speed, but I agree longevity is a concern. I think it could be manageable - run a stable release like Debian or Centos, maybe use something like f2fs, reduce the commit interval, put bits of /var on a tmpfs...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeHG For This Useful Post:
Here is a few comments from
http://boards.dingoonity.org/gpd-win...7-inch-laptop/

Here is the latest layout of keyboard.
For the location of power button and delete.you all can check it as your kind reference.
Totally don't need to worry about the wrong operation.
Because Power button is a metal pot button structure, You need to taking great efforts to press down,
The press strength is totally different with other key.
We have only to consider the m3-6y30 or m3-7y30, But wait until the next generation.
so Power button is not really a big issue, but they confirmed that 1st generation of GPD Pocket will be useless

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to meego_leenooks1 For This Useful Post:

Tags
gpd win, linux, pocketable, windows