Notices

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
Any bugs noted from turning on the geolocation download?
No bugs noted, it's just that you might need to tap the point button again after 10-15 seconds to get more precise location data (GPS takes a moment to get up and running).

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

Hi guys,

please forgive me my double post, but my other thread is getting no love and I think actually this thread is the correct place to ask.

I noticed, that local search with maemap (bottom left corner in the ui) does not return all results, compared to a local search with google.maps. I am missing the little red dots, only the sponsored links (with letters) appear. Very good to see, if you search for example for "bar" near frankfurt (bar loc: Frankfurt, Germany). How can I get all results with maemap? Or is it only me?

Thank you,
ste

Last edited by STE; 2009-12-16 at 16:49.

Thanks for the feedback and good test case, will look into it.

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

The Following User Says Thank You to twaelti For This Useful Post:
Posts: 233 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
I have never been able to get directions to any address by entering it in the right field. I always get "Location not found: 602". (However searching for both addresses separately in the left field works fine).

The instructions on the first page have some kind of a character set problem, because all I see is "Just start typing and hit <broken icon> to search a place". The broken icon looks like two underscores on top of each other, but the upper one is actually as high up as possible. On a desktop computer it does look like the enter -symbol.

The site takes a LONG time to respond sometimes - up to a minute, both on a desktop computer and on the N900. (From Finland).

I think the effort is awesome though, so thanks for working on this!

Originally Posted by STE View Post
I noticed, that local search with maemap (bottom left corner in the ui) does not return all results, compared to a local search with google.maps. I am missing the little red dots, only the sponsored links (with letters) appear. Very good to see, if you search for example for "bar" near frankfurt (bar loc: Frankfurt, Germany). How can I get all results with maemap? Or is it only me?
Ok, I spent most of my free evening on that:
Unfortunately, it is NOT possible. I did not find any API options to improve the behaviour and therefore guess that it is specific to their implementation. Or because our screen/map size is quite small.
What I achieved: disabled the auto-display/jump to the first search result.
BTW: What you see are not sponsored links (these ads appear ABOVE the search results), but normal local search results.
Sorry for not having better news

Originally Posted by jaysire View Post
I have never been able to get directions to any address by entering it in the right field. I always get "Location not found: 602". (However searching for both addresses separately in the left field works fine).

The instructions on the first page have some kind of a character set problem, because all I see is "Just start typing and hit <broken icon> to search a place". The broken icon looks like two underscores on top of each other, but the upper one is actually as high up as possible. On a desktop computer it does look like the enter -symbol.

The site takes a LONG time to respond sometimes - up to a minute, both on a desktop computer and on the N900. (From Finland).
For directions, try to add some additional information on the right, e.g."fi" for your finnish towns.
I've now fixed the character set problem by replacing the existing (n900-broken) unicode ENTER symbol with a plain "ENTER" string.
If the site is slow, this might also be a problem of google (maemaps must load api js code from them). However, the page gets cached in the browser (do a Ctrl-R to really reload it and get the latest version, e.g. test with the ENTER display). Also, maeMaps is (apart from the google js code) completely self-contained. This means you can also save it in e.g. MyDocs and the load/bookmark from there.

Originally Posted by twaelti View Post
Ok, I spent most of my free evening on that:
Unfortunately, it is NOT possible. I did not find any API options to improve the behaviour and therefore guess that it is specific to their implementation. Or because our screen/map size is quite small.
What I achieved: disabled the auto-display/jump to the first search result.
BTW: What you see are not sponsored links (these ads appear ABOVE the search results), but normal local search results.
Sorry for not having better news
Thanks for investigating the matter. What is the difference between the two types? Unfortunately the results without letters are mostly the cool places . Maybe the API gets fixed some time with regard to this.

It might be simply a thing of google limiting the number of search results than can be displayed in one go in the API, but not in their full browser version on maps.google.com.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by twaelti View Post
It might be simply a thing of google limiting the number of search results than can be displayed in one go in the API, but not in their full browser version on maps.google.com.
Could it be related to which search options you choose from your google home search page?

SLN member # 009

Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Could it be related to which search options you choose from your google home search page?
I don't think so, because there are no such settings that I'm aware of. It also doesn't matter if you use maeMaps on PC or N900 - issue remains.
Finally, all I can influence is given by the Google API - and there isn't anything related to the issue (there is, but I changed and tried that, but it didn't change anything)

Tags
google maps, microb, n900