My old N900 stopped working, so I bought a used one. After flashing it, it seemed to work fine. I installed backup menu on it and tried to reflash my data from my old unit. It seemed to went fine but after a succesfull reflash, the device entered into a reboot loop. I am trying now to reflash it again and I will use an older backup, but are the images created with backupmenu meant to be transferable between different devices?

The Following User Says Thank You to sup For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Same thing happend when i tried restroing backup(everything) in middle of the road and also when i tried to use backup of my 2nd n900(rootfs) it resulted in reboot loopp my devices had diffrent hardware revisons....

backupmenu is a pita...

sorry

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
Same thing happend when i tried restroing backup(everything) in middle of the road and also when i tried to use backup of my 2nd n900(rootfs) it resulted in reboot loopp my devices had diffrent hardware revisons....

backupmenu is a pita...

sorry
Ah, I do not fancy reconfiguring my device from scratch at all:-(. It worked on my original phone though, I tried it several times.

Posts: 254 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Canada
You do have to have the same kernel flashed on your device as is in the backup. Maybe a feature request for backupmenu to check this before restoring to put up some kind of a warning?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shawnjefferson For This Useful Post:
I thought backupmenu changed kernel too. So I need to install kernel that I used to have and then it should work?

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by sup View Post
I thought backupmenu changed kernel too. So I need to install kernel that I used to have and then it should work?
Yes, that's correct.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Posts: 147 | Thanked: 228 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Toronto, Canada
I restored several N900s from the same backupmenu images. I never ran i to any issues.

However each time I started with a fresh flash. Silly as it sounds I keep a dedicated XP 32 bit machine for flashing N900s and running an ancient film scanner

Hm, so I tried downloading kernel-power first but it still does not work.

I used csthumb before, could it make a difference? The kernel for csthumb and kernel-power are the same, right?

The device I got is from Poland and I used to have a Czech device, could that make a difference?

You need exactly the same kernel (inc. version) that you had installed when doing backup. You can determine it by opening your backup file and checking modules folder.

If you feel adventurous, you may also modify your backup file, by replacing old kernel modules with on es belonging to new kernel (or any kernel that you want to have installed on device, that you will be restoring to).

Cheers,

It says 2.6.28.10-power52, so that corresponds to the kernel that I installed before restoring the backup:-/.