I only recently installed the last upgrade on my tablet because I was trying to avoid having to reinstall gvm and upgrade to beta 3 and go through the hotsync. I did it and it did take me an evening to do but the hotsync worked eventually. I have only four skyscape apps but they are biggies (mobile emc 29518K) plus medcalc that leaves me 9.8MB free out of 64 . I had installed windows 7 and found that the hotsync process seemed to be a bit better than I remember it being on xp. I set the skyscape apps to sync to a dummy profile and then used the install tool to select the required prc's and pdb's from my skyscape folder to the N800. I did this for each app backing up between each hotsync and it worked ok my only problem was at first it kept stopping and wiping gvm.store until I realised that by default the gvm size was set to 16MB duh! At least I can now have the correct date on my tablet I previously was running behind the times so I could keep running beta 2!

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Many thanks Pushwall!

If I have time tonight, I'm definitely going to work on your suggestions!

Hey Imtab, any chance I could meet you over at #maemo sometime late tonight, around 2:00 or 3:00 am EST?

I think it would be a great experience if you and I shared info on medical apps that work correctly.

Cheers!

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ China
I've benefited a lot from these posts, so here is my step-by-step version of Bunanson's and TA-t3's solution for running the Garnet VM on Nokia Internet Tablets (NIT)--aimed at absolute newbies (like me, two months ago)!
[These instructions don't include javispedro's solution for adding SD card support to the GVM--I'll be trying that when I have time too!]

Acknowledgements:
Here are links to previous posts that helped me a lot!

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...9&postcount=10
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...0&postcount=12
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=15518
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=12297

1. Requirements:
-Latest version of the Garnet Virtual Machine (GVM) from ACCESS
-NIT running Diablo--i.e., latest version of Maemo OS
-Script-friendly text editor such as Leafpad, vim. I've also used TextWrangler (Mac OSX).
-a way of gaining root access to your NIT. See this link for instructions: http://wiki.maemo.org/Root_access

1a. Recommended:
-Filez.prc Palm freeware. This program allows you to see your HotSync ID in the GVM as well as Device serial numbers, application Creator Codes and other useful information.
-a linux-friendly file manager (the included Maemo File Manager is not sufficient) such as emelfm2 or Midnight Commander. You can find these downloads by doing an internet search for "Maemo emelfm2" or "Maemo Midnight Commander". Install one of these applications to your NIT using the Application Manager. emelfm2 is more graphically pleasing, but Midnight Commander's menu options use English rather than the rather cryptic icons found in emelfm2.

2. Open up the Garnet VM. This will execute the Garnet VM Launcher (which is a separate program from the actual GVM). Within the GVM Launcher, you can decide on settings for your Garnet Virtual Machine which then creates a file called gvm.store where your actual Palm apps will be located.
There are some programs pre-installed--the PIM apps and Prefs. These apps use OLD Palm PIM app formats (i.e., OLDER--thanks TA-t3!--than Palm T3 and earlier) so they will not be able to read the PIM database files from your newer Palm devices. You will have to do a HotSync or convert your database files to the old format if you want that data on your GVM.
You need to hit the Settings button to create your new gvm.store file. Choose:
-Storage heap size--you can choose sizes from: 1 MB, 2 MB, 4 MB, 8 MB, 16 MB, 32 MB and 64 MB. I would recommend a larger size. The easiest way to wipe out your entire GVM installation is to accidentally exceed the storage heap size while the GVM is running by, for example, installing too many files or using up too much memory in the Palm environment.
-Then, hit the "Reformat storage" button to create the gvm.store file.
-The other settings can be changed later if you wish.
-Hit the "Save" button.

You can now change some of the settings for individual apps in the Launcher. For example, you can choose the Calc app and hit the "Configure" button and then increase the Dynamic heap size up to 4 MB. You can also change the Device model and Display compatibility, but these are mostly important for certain Palm apps that run better on certain device models.

Recommended, but optional, is to install Filez. To do this, just hit the "Install" button and follow the instructions to install the Filez.prc. Some have recommended the following procedure to speed up the install process (useful, especially if you have multiple apps to install):

-Choose one of the Palm apps
-Hit the Launch button
-After the GVM starts, hit the Home button on your NIT and go back to the GVM Launcher screen
-While the Palm app is running in the background, use the GVM Launcher "Install" button to install applications.

I have found this procedure to be considerably faster than NOT having the GVM running in the background, but I choose not to do it because:
-I've often forgotten that the GVM is running and I've tried launching one of the newly-installed apps to see how it runs. When you try to run more than one instance of the GVM at one time, you will cause a crash which can wipe out your entire installation and set you back to square one.
-When using this procedure, I've had the GVM Launcher crash on me a few times after installing half a dozen apps in a row.

When you're done setting up a "basic" gvm.store--in other words, one which includes the essential apps you want to see in EACH of your gvm.stores--assuming you want to run multiple ones--then, exit the GVM Launcher.

[Why run multiple gvm.store files? The main reason is the 64 MB Storage heap limit. On my old Palm TX, I was using almost all of the 128 MB of RAM even with almost all of the data files on the SD Card--and running Dmitry's excellent SDHC Driver! If you want enough room to hold a large amount of Palm apps/data, you may need multiple gvm.store files. The other reason is speed. The more apps you have in a gvm.store file, the slower the startup will be. If you have separate gvm.store files for your essential apps, they will launch faster. Finally, the other issue is crash prevention. My multiple gvm.store file storage heaps are all set at 64 MB. To prevent the storage heap violation error, I try to leave at least 20 MB of free storage "buffer" in each gvm.store. Of course, with the new GVM SD card hack, this will not be as much of a problem].

To be continued...

Last edited by Palmleavr; 2009-05-06 at 18:00. Reason: correction

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Palmleavr For This Useful Post:
Step-by-step GVM, continued:

3. Make a backup of your original gvm.store file by typing these commands in X Terminal (one of the programs that should be already installed on your tablet):

Code:
cd /home/user/.gvm
This moves you into the directory where the gvm.store file is located.

Code:
cp gvm.store gvm.store_orig
This will copy your original gvm.store to a backup copy called "gvm.store_orig".

4. Figure out how many gvm.stores you need. For myself, I had at least eight tabs on ZLauncher on my Palm TX. I created eight different gvm.stores numbered in this way:

Code:
cp gvm.store gvm.store_10
cp gvm.store gvm.store_20
etc.

Make sure you write down somewhere what each of these gvm.store files will contain. For example, gvm.store_10 initially contained my medical files, but I had to add more gvm.store files later when I ran out of memory: gvm.store_11, gvm.store_12, etc.

5. Now, create scripts to launch each of these gvm.store files. The scripts will also help you register the desired HotSync ID in each of your gvm.store files.

Open your preferred text editor (Notepad in Windows will work, in addition to those mentioned above). Enter the following text:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/gvm/gvm -g gvm.store_10 -O -z 1.5 -L 0x0000,0x0000,0x0000 -f -i D050 -a Filz -n PN12A345B6CD -u "John Doe:1234"
[Note: the text including /usr/bin/gvm/gvm... and following should ALL be on ONE line in your script; no returns for that line].

Save this file as Filez.sh or choose your own name with ".sh" as the extension.
These gvm command in this script has several options. You can get an explanation of these options at:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=12297

The -L 0x0000,0x0000,0x0000 option above is set to create a black background (thanks dfinch!). The -i option tells the gvm that this device should emulate a Palm TX. You can get a list of these at: https://pdnet.palm.com/regac/pdn/Pal...8h-source.html (thanks BoxofSnoo!).
The -a option chooses to launch the Filez program. You can find these four-letter "Creator Codes" using Filez on your Palm device. The -n option lets you specify your serial number. You can find your Palm device serial number on the back of your device or using Filez. I was able to get Mobipocket Reader to generate the same PID number (necessary for paid Mobipocket ebook registration) as my Palm TX using the same serial number and HotSync ID. Unfortunately, launching this script does not permanently "set" the serial number in the gvm.store. The serial number will be set back to default if you try to run this gvm.store from the GVM Launcher program.
The -u option is the most important for getting your GVM to HotSync successfully. You should enter the HotSync ID that you desire. The four-digit number after the HotSync ID can be "1234". I did find a four-digit number in one of my Palm TX's system files using Filez that I use for my own gvm.stores. I don't know if it makes a difference which one you use.

6. After you save the file, then, in X Terminal, type these commands:

Code:
cd /home/user/MyDocs
This is the directory where your *.sh file should be found--it is the same as your main Internal Flash directory.

Code:
chmod +x Filez.sh
This makes the Filez.sh an executable file. Remember, the name is case-sensitive.

Code:
sh Filez.sh
This will execute the *.sh file and launch the GVM. After it launches, use Filez to verify that the HotSync ID is set correctly. Then, hit the Escape button to exit the GVM.

7. Prepare to HotSync each of your gvm.store files.
First, you need some way to switch between the gvm.store files so that, when you launch the GVM Launcher, it will be "tricked" into seeing one of your alternate gvm.store's as the main gvm.store file.

Start your text editor and enter this script to choose your gvm.store (this is my modified version of burmashave's scripts):

Code:
#!/bin/sh
cd /home/user/.gvm
rm gvm.store
ln -s -b gvm.store_10 gvm.store
This script removes the current plain gvm.store file using the "rm" command. The "ln" command creates a symbolic link between the gvm.store and your own alternate gvm.store_10 file. The -s option makes this a symbolic link (aka "symlink") and the -b option is supposed to create a backup of the gvm.store_10 file.
With a symbolic link, the anything that the NIT software does to the gvm.store file will ACTUALLY be done to the gvm.store_10 file.

Save this file with the .sh extension, for example, you can name it "GMed.sh". Make it executable with the chmod command:

Code:
chmod +x GMed.sh
Then run it:

Code:
sh GMed.sh
After it is run, then launch your Garnet VM Launcher and it should load your gvm.store_10 file instead of the gvm.store file.

To be continued...

Last edited by Palmleavr; 2009-05-06 at 18:07. Reason: clarification

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Palmleavr For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Palmleavr View Post
There are some programs pre-installed--the PIM apps and Prefs. These apps use OLD Palm PIM app formats (i.e., Palm T3 and earlier) so they will not be able to read the PIM database files from your newer Palm devices.
That is not entirely correct, in that Palm Tungsten T3 also uses the newer, Palm-enhanced versions. I don't know on which device Palm started this, but the sentence above should read at least 'i.e. earlier than Palm T3'.

The Following User Says Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
For all the beginners (like me, e. g.): Don't forget to create your /home/user/.gvm./cards files to get GVM SD-card support. Then you can even start palm prc-files from card without previous installation. I think, you don't need a large number of .gvm-stores in this case. The std launcher shows the card apps all in one tab (e. g. Slot1), ZLauncher displays the card apps in category tabs just as those in RAM.

With an alternative PIM app (in my case Agendus) you can use the new format PIM files from your PalmOS 5-device. The only shortcoming: The built-in GVM PIM apps are showing - nothing. This doesn't trouble me. And GVM hotsync converts them to old format with throwing many messages.

Iambic allows to use several codes for personally owned devices without buying a new licence. So getting an agendus code for NIT GVM is a matter of just a few seconds.

The Following User Says Thank You to ZehHa For This Useful Post:
GVM Step-by-step, continued

8. HotSync
After the GVM Launcher is opened, you can HotSync using the Sync button. Unfortunately, you can only HotSync via Wifi--in other words, an ad-hoc wireless connection with your computer. I won't go into the steps for setting up the wireless connection as they are well-described elsewhere.

Some comments:
-Some have said that their HotSyncs resulted in no data being left on their NIT. After I set the HotSync ID via a script, I no longer had that problem.
-There is a freeware program that adds wireless HotSync ability to older Palm devices, but it is not compatible with the GVM. If it were, it might be useful since you cannot initiate a HotSync from WITHIN a Palm OS GVM session.
-There are also some freeware programs to change the HotSync ID of individual applications--H5NSwitch and Changename--but these are not compatible with GVM either.

9. Backup
Since the GVM is fairly fragile--meaning, crashes can easily wipe out your entire gvm.store--it is useful to be able to backup each gvm.store. You can do this by manually copying each gvm.store to another partition or device. You can also do this by a Script (see below). Now that SD Card access from the GVM is possible, some have been using Palm backup software to back-up the contents of their virtual Palm devices to a "virtual" SD Card with some success.

These are scripts I've copied from TA-t3 for backing up all the gvm.store files with one command:

To Backup (puts a--compressed--tar file containing ALL your gvm.stores in the internal flash memory card):

Code:
#!/bin/sh
dest=/media/mmc2/gvm-backup.tar
(
     cd $home
     tar cvf $dest .gvm
)
To Restore:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
gvbk=/media/mmc2/gvm-backup.tar
(
     cd $home
     if [ -f $gvbk ]; then
           tar xvf $gvbk
     else
           echo "$gvbk doesn't exist"
     fi
)
10. Launching your GVM applications from the Hildon desktop/launcher:

After you create *.sh files to launch specific Palm apps, you can get them to show up in your Maemo launcher by adding *.desktop files to the /usr/share/applications/hildon folder.

Code corresponding to the Filez.sh file (above):

Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=0.1
Type=Application
Name=Filez
Exec=/home/user/MyDocs/Filez.sh
X-Osso-Type=applications/x-executable
Comment=launch Filez in the GVM
Save this file with a name like: "Filez.desktop" and then copy it to the /usr/share/applications/hildon folder. You may have to gainroot (typing "sudo gainroot" in X Terminal) to get it placed successfully. You can do this by typing a long "cp" command in X Terminal or by using emelfm2 or Midnight Commander.
If it works, you should then see "Filez" show up in the Extras panel of your Maemo launcher. You can then use Control Panel-->Panels-->Organize to move it to another folder. I have one I've called "Palm" for all these files.

If you launch your Palm apps in this way, just remember NOT to launch more than one GVM session at one time.

Thanks again for everyone's help here at the Forums!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Palmleavr For This Useful Post:
Anyone knows a way to encode umlauts in the gvm -u option? Specifically "ü" is needed in my case (unicode "&#252")

Posts: 1 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ OSAKA JAPAN
Originally Posted by Addison View Post

Finally, anyone want to stab a guess as what GVM ROM TOOL V1.10 does?
Garnet VM

Cheers!

Hello.

I'm an author of GVM ROM TOOL.
GVM ROM TOOL is software that makes ROM image of a Japanese version.
I made this software for a lot of Japanese who want to use GVM by the native language.
ACCESS is Japanese domestic company.
However, they don't support Japanese in GVM.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Palmleavr View Post
-Choose one of the Palm apps
-Hit the Launch button
-After the GVM starts, hit the Home button on your NIT and go back to the GVM Launcher screen
-While the Palm app is running in the background, use the GVM Launcher "Install" button to install applications.

I have found this procedure to be considerably faster than NOT having the GVM running in the background, but I choose not to do it because:
-I've often forgotten that the GVM is running and I've tried launching one of the newly-installed apps to see how it runs. When you try to run more than one instance of the GVM at one time, you will cause a crash which can wipe out your entire installation and set you back to square one.
-When using this procedure, I've had the GVM Launcher crash on me a few times after installing half a dozen apps in a row.
I've found that the GVM Launcher doesn't actually crash doing this but goes into a freeze state. Instead of just launching a Palm app and having it run in the background, I run a Palm app and then exit out to the Palm menu screen and let it run in the background. And then when the GVM Launcher freezes, I go back to the Palm menu and switch to another Palm menu. Once I switch back to the GVM Launcher it is back to normal.

BTW, thanks for spending all the time summarizing all of this!....Very helpful!!

Tags
garnet, palm