Active Topics

Originally Posted by Iosian View Post
For the N9, please make sure that you've filled out your SCREEN NAME.
I would gladly do that, but Skype options in "Accounts" are always grayed out now (also a symptom of current misbehaviour). Can I enter it somewhere on the CLI or directly modifying a file? I do not remember anything about "screen name" at the "creation" of the Skype account on N9.

Posts: 65 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ New Zealand
I have exactly the same problem with the N9 and the N900. I am thinking it occurred after a skype update for PC last month.
It is odd that it is affecting both devices, but not everyone. I cannot see anyone online. My contacts have disappeared. I removed account and re-added but contacts didn't reappear. I can manually add contacts and they can see me online but not the other way around. Status is "checking". I am hoping someone can shed some light on this.

I have started a thread for the N9
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=86045

The Following User Says Thank You to markn For This Useful Post:
For the N9, please make sure that you've filled out your SCREEN NAME.
I have verified on the command line with mc-tool, that "Display Name" is set and identical to my skype ID.

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Taipei. Taiwan, R.O.C.
Originally Posted by Paul Ortyl View Post
I do not remember anything about "screen name" at the "creation" of the Skype account on N9.
While creating an account, there is no place to fill in the screen name. After that, there will be a screen name blank to be filled. But it might be "grey". Try to turn the account switch off then turn it on again. The blank should become white and ready.

Please also refer to http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=85899 .

While creating an account, there is no place to fill in the screen name. After that, there will be a screen name blank to be filled. But it might be "grey". Try to turn the account switch off then turn it on again. The blank should become white and ready.

Please also refer to http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=85899 .
With this hint I got a step further, but all contacts were in state "Checking".

I have filled "screen name", "email" and (fake) birthday.
Then the problem seemed to be fixed, but as soon as I started to poke around and removed fields filled on N9 back to empty on my PC, then problem came back soon.

This is a kind of unstable workaround, the issue is NOT SOLVED, at least not permanently. Please investigate the issue further.

Posts: 65 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ New Zealand
Originally Posted by Gnat View Post
Ok, I fixed mine too. What I did was delete my original account from my N900 (backup everything first). Create a new account with skype and log into this new account on my N900. I log into my original account on my PC and add the new account as a contact; everything works on the N900 as it should, I can see the online status and make skype calls.
I then re-add my original account to the N900, and all the contacts resync. My messages haven't synced up yet though, so I had a few random conversations lying around that I deleted.

I don't know if you need to delete the original account from your N900, its worth a shot just adding the new one and save the hassle.

Cheers af7567
I didn't follow your exact directions but I did create a new Skype account on PC and logged in on the PC - I had forgotten to log out on the N9 and while i was doing that my N9 magically showed all my contacts and their online status. The issue is something to do with Skype on the PC I think.

Posts: 104 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ United Kingdom
I have also had this problem. And vask's solution seems to have worked, though with a slight modification; I did not create any new Skype account.

Here is what I did:
1. Disable the Skype account which has the problem.
2. Using "xTerm" or whatever you like, and go to "/home/user/.Skype".
3. Delete the folder with the intended Skype account name, or just change its name.
4. Enable the Skype account again.

All Skype contacts should come back alive again.

The Following User Says Thank You to mlwane For This Useful Post:
the problem is related to the display name and details on the profile. fill out your name, mail, date of birth and telephone number. fill in all the contacts appear online status !!!
hopefully work with you.

The Following User Says Thank You to nexthuman89 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mlwane View Post
I have also had this problem. And vask's solution seems to have worked, though with a slight modification; I did not create any new Skype account.

Here is what I did:
1. Disable the Skype account which has the problem.
2. Using "xTerm" or whatever you like, and go to "/home/user/.Skype".
3. Delete the folder with the intended Skype account name, or just change its name.
4. Enable the Skype account again.

All Skype contacts should come back alive again.
Just fix my n900. Thank You!

Originally Posted by nexthuman89 View Post
the problem is related to the display name and details on the profile. fill out your name, mail, date of birth and telephone number. fill in all the contacts appear online status !!!
hopefully work with you.
I can confirm this. It works for me again after:
- filling birthday, gender, phone number, region in the skype profile (any value will do)
- sign out (set status to offline)
- sign in (set status to online)