As I said, a basic editor would be fine.

A lot of the popular apps on the iPhone are related to fun effects for the camera/existing pics on the phone. Android also has a few - polaroid type effects, etc.

While these things are far from essential, they are good fun, and Im hoping the N900 will have some similar stuff in the pipeline.

As far as proper colour correction etc, I would always stick to photoshop on my PC.

And iJanne, thats the collection I meant to graqb, thanks!

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
There is definate need for something more featured than the built-in capabilities for image manipulation.

But for 'sharing content on the fly' I have found the built-in editing to be usable and sufficient. In fact, the camera is good enough to replace a point and shoot in many situations.

As a side note, I was at a night time Santa Claus parade on the weekend, and noticed that the Guide Number of the flash is quite low, so night photography is limited.

Posts: 9 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by jeremiah View Post
The GIMP is mostly for bitmapped images, but there has been work done on getting it to do vector graphics as well. Not sure how well it will perform on the N900.

Wouldn't you want to do serious photo editing on a more powerful machine, like your desktop? There are tons of great photo handling applications for the desktop.
Well, I'm using the Gimp on my desktop for same purposes I used to use PS before I chanced my OS to Ubuntu. I just would like to use Gimp on n900 also for quick sketching purposes. Art on the go you see And I'm really manipulating photos with the Gimp...

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by stemfour View Post
Also, what about Picasa for Linux?

Would this be an easy port? Maybe obvious that Im not a Linux user - I know things are not so straight forward in this new world Im entering, so please set me straight!
No, unfortunately that wouldn't be possible. (IIRC) Linux version of Picasa is not native. It uses WINE, which needs x86 processor.

Wikipedia on WINE

Originally Posted by anidel View Post
GIMP is (as its name states) a GNU Image Manipulation Program.
It's meant to create or manipulate graphic images.
What we need is a program to manipulate photographs, rather than generic graphic images.

Is there a free Linux tool to do that?
www.digikam.org