I was curious if some lucky N900 owner could help me out. I'm just trying to see if the Flash Player in the N900 has access to the web cam on the face of the unit.

Here is a link to a stock web cam demo in Flash

http://blog.flexexamples.com/2008/01...splay-control/

*Note: on most PCs you have to 'accept' the access to the cam. I know on Macs you have to flip the cam to 'USB' to get the built in cam to work so there may be a setting that needs to be flipped.

If someone could load that puppy on their N900 and give the results, that would be most helpful.

Posts: 486 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New York City
I got the "you don't seem to have a camera" popup alert in Flex.

EDIT: My lens cover was closed... trying again: same result.

It appears the camera doesn't exist:

And I can't find a setting in the camera app or elsewhere to enable it.

Last edited by hypnotik; 2009-11-25 at 17:30.

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Sounds like https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1889 to me which is not supported...

Posts: 486 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New York City
They intentionally disabled it to keep from pages enabling the camera? oh well, not a feature I use anyway, but would have been kind of neat.

Posts: 103 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Nashville, TN
@Andre, thanks for the link. I couldn't tell by skimming the bug report but is this a hardware issue, a flash issue or a driver issue?

Wow, thanks for the quick responses. As per the bug log, I can see the Video4Linux 1 vs 2 as that was biting video in Flash in Linux for a while.

As for the security comment, I find that one had to swallow. The whole point of the settings/security is to handle that. If you want security ship it with the cam off and make the user flip it on. If I have to drill down and enable my cam, then I know its a risk (and there still is the 'Accept' button as well)

Ah well, something to chase after when I get a unit. I've had a tablet for a number of years now with a front facing cam and no easy way to get vid chat going (cross platform that is) Flash is stock now and all Macs and even many PC laptops now have web cams integrated. Grab the brass ring Nokia! Get this working before Apple gets bright enough to put a front facing cam on the iPhone and shows you up!