Active Topics

Closed Thread
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
So please, tell us what you think would be a reasonable time for the Windows Phone strategy to finally win for Nokia--mind you, I'm pretty sure it has to succeed before the company goes under.
S40 is doing well, it is increasing it's global market share and has 25% now. Asha will be enough for some time. WP has increased 270% YoY thanks to Nokia. WP8 will increase to 8-9% in a year.

You got the basics wrong and think in black/white. Add some color, some shades and things will look less blocky.

Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)
Strange news from Bloomberg today. "Nokia Fight for AT&T Shelf Space Shows Lumia's Hurdles". I thought AT&T was the big partner in Lumia's, the one that was so excited about the "3rd ecosystem".

If Nokia is struggling for shelf space at AT&T stores, that is a corporate decision from AT&T not to give it to them. Which leaves Nokia in a extremely problematic situation, and shows that AT&T has given up on them in reality, even though AT&T still talks the talk about the Lumia line.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...for-next-lumia

Last edited by olighak; 2012-08-06 at 20:52.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Who is buying phone from the shelves? Its so 200...4!

Must be the regular users...and americans.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by olighak View Post
Strange news from Bloomberg today. "Nokia Fight for AT&T Shelf Space Shows Lumia's Hurdles". I thought AT&T was the big partner in Lumia's, the one that was so excited about the "3rd ecosystem".

If Nokia is struggling for shelf space at AT&T stores, that is a corporate decision from AT&T not to give it to them. Which leaves Nokia in a extremely problematic situation, and shows that AT&T has given up on them in reality, even though AT&T still talks the talk about the Lumia line.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...for-next-lumia

Very true. ATT is desperate to have good iphone competitor. but honestly, Lumia ads in the US were limited. nothing compared to Samsung blitz during olympics, and Samsung ads are cool. competition is tough in the USA

Just because the world doesn't revolve around Nokia, doesn't mean Nokia is dead. Soon to be dead companies are RIM and HTC. RIM because it is irrelevant and HTC because it can't make better phones than the cheaper ZDE and Huawei, and at the same time is overshadowed by Samsung in the high end.

Nokias problem is size. It's too large to sustain selling S40 and S30 devices even though sales are shifting dramatically toward the more expensive S40 devices. It needs to shrink more. Accelerated growth of WP would help of course, but that is not a solution Nokia can live with, it needs to become profitable in it's main business of S30 and S40.

Meltemi proved to be a dead end road, the team couldn't deliver something that was more competitive than S40. S40 gives more bang for the buck than anything out there, and it is selling by the billions, literally, but it is no solution for high end, and it is no solution for Europe or NA. Here the competition is iOS and Android. Not only high end, but that is where the profit margins are.

Samsung looks unbeatable, but Samsung is no innovator. Samsung is good at producing stuff when the recipe is known. Nokia is an innovator, and this will very obvious when the Nokia WP8 devices are announced. Soon we will be able to get some cool devices again, not just a piece of glass. Lots of people will dislike it, simply because it doesn't fit their blocky, conservative skulls.

WP is somewhat similar. WP7 has limitations, but I tell you, my Lumia is much more fun with new stuff coming all the time than the stale N9. Just recently the camera app was updated with more goodies than the N9 could ever dream of (group shots etc). With WP8 comes more.

Ultimately though, it's not about market share or stocks or patent wars. It's about getting a personal device that does the job and is cool and fun. The thing is, only Nokia has done that on a regular basis, and my Lumia is no exception. Sure the iPhone and the SGS3 are more mainstream, but so what? They are more boring as well. When I get my Nexus 7, I'm sure as hell not going to get a phone with the same OS.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Of course, failing to succeed doesn't necessarily mean failure. You can always be 2nd best.. or in the case of Windows Phone.. what... 6th? 7th best? Out of how many?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 308 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Graveyard
Originally Posted by specc View Post
Soon to be dead companies are RIM and HTC.
HTC? Sure?

Originally Posted by specc View Post
Samsung looks unbeatable, but Samsung is no innovator. Samsung is good at producing stuff when the recipe is known.
Samsung is also good at making things look shittier. From the screencaps and previews of Tizen, my view goes like that.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Nokia slowly growing on the stock exchange, about 1 % per day!

Even on my N900 I had a stock application, there's at least one on every platform.

I'm a bit early today, Helsinki just opened. Looks like a good first half hour for Nokia: from €2.01 to €2.06. But on the one month graph, it looks like the bounce is slowing down.

And the Elopalypse graph:

Ouch, that's an utter and complete collapse. Of course, the previous CEO had awful stock price results too.

Last edited by volt; 2012-08-07 at 07:40.

Nokia will be back at around 8 in two years time.

Will be interesting Q4 with Galaxy note II, Iphone 5 and Lumias

And as outsiders...Jolla mobile and Tizen.

Looking forward to all these releases. I think its better for nokia to release lumias around Christmas since Galaxy note and Iphone 5 moving to market earlier.

Closed Thread

Tags
goodbye nokia, investing, last quotes, lumiatard, samsung, specc=ericsson, stock, the elop flop, the flop elop, tizen