Hi,

I have been using my N900 for some time now. I have put off purchasing an N9 as it came with Aegis (read: malware) that did a good job of encumbering the user. I've read that progress has been made in this department so I am considering trying my hand.

I am a security consultant. I will likely be focusing on networking applications as well as security applications if the community has something in mind.

I would really like to get an N950 before starting. I really loathe software keyboards, even the better ones. I'm hoping someone has a new one they wouldn't mind me taking of their hands for a sum of money. I would also consider a gently used one.

Also, if anyone has any ideas for an application they would like to have on MeeGo, please mention it here. I was going to enter the competition that was a few months ago but whoever wrote "Genwall" did essentially what I had in mind. Well done to whoever that was!

Thanks,

Abe

The Following User Says Thank You to Old Abe For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
€2000......

The Following User Says Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
They are frakkin expensive and have major design flaws.

IMO, unless you got one for free from the Developer Program or CA or Competition, it it definitely not worth plunking a thousand or so into it.

"Project N955" would work well enough for your use case, I guess.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Why not buy a n9. That is what you developing for!? N950 is a bad n9. Sure it has a keyboard but the screen sucks. Buy a n9 instead.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
€2000......
I sent you a private message. Is that an offer?

Thanks,

Abe

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ho Chi Minh, VietNam
Hey, where are you living ?

Give me an offer to cuong at my-meego.org and I will consider to transfer my N950 to you (it still in good condition)

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
I do have an extra N950 that I won in a hacking competition, so its without an loan agreement, new, unopened, unused, still in the box that it came in (as I have multiple N950s, so I kept that one in the box as a spare). And I'm willing to sell it if the price is right.

Feel free to make offers by private message.
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

1 day and 18 hours to go. Buy now at € 1.750, or send a price suggestion:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/NOKIA-N950-DE...item1c2e51686e

Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Why not buy a n9. That is what you developing for!? N950 is a bad n9. Sure it has a keyboard but the screen sucks. Buy a n9 instead.
Do you actually used N950 or see it?!

True the N950 doesn't have amoled, the colour is less vivid than N9, but it doesn't have pentile and looks much less pixel-feel than N9. I've compared both.

And N950 is Not a bad N9, they are different.
If you don't have it, don't make judgement about it!

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Never spend more than $250 on the N950, it's not worth it.

If you want to use it as a "better N900", there are many problems with the OS vs the builtin keyboard making it a pain to use. Reception is also _quite_ bad when compared to N9. Besides, first-batch N950s LCD tend to die early, and you won't be able to find replacements. No public schematics either.

If you want to use it as a test device for N9 development, then it's also useless. It is way too different from the N9 (screen & color reproduction, aegis, accelerometer, USB hardware...), so you will eventually need the N9.

I can only think of two use cases for it:
A) Museum exhibit / Collector's item / Collecting dust in a shelf
B) Testground for non-Harmattan OSes such as Mer, where you might not care if half of the LCD is broken or if it misses phone calls.

Last edited by javispedro; 2012-12-15 at 02:22.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post: