Active Topics

Posts: 192 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Austin, Tx
From everything I have read its super laggy and looks crappy

wonder why they used the WP style interface instead of a more Symbian looking skin

Posts: 339 | Thanked: 1,623 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ France
Originally Posted by volt View Post
It may just be that the only thing they are using Android to, is to release a batch of Android derative products ment to cement the image of Android being a lower end product with a natural upgrade path to Windows Phone.
So they make its UI to look like Windows Phone. Most people will think it is Windows Phone as it has tiles, whereas all their friends with Samsung devices with Android look different.

So this will cement the image of Windows Phone as a lower end product, and the natural upgrade path is to (real) Android.

Oh, wait ?

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I was so sure this is a hoax, I just could not see a way for Microsoft to ever release a Linux-based device, I thought that went so against their DNA
As I understand it, the Nokia acquisition is not complete, and Microsoft has no management saying in Nokia yet.

Microsoft probably does not like the X series, and they might kill it off as their first management decision once Nokia is fully absorbed.

Then again, maybe they hope people will start using their (abundently pre-installed) services, and upgrade to a Windows Mobile Phone once they got enough money, wouldn't be too stupid if you ask me.

(Oh, and there's rumors that Elop will become Chief Technology/Hardware Officer or whatever it's called)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mbanck For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
LOL I just found out that CPU used by the Nokia X series isn't similar to the Lumia 520 at all.

Nokia X uses MSM8225 (dual core Cortex A5 and Adreno 203 made on 45nm), Lumia 520 uses MSM8227 (dual core Krait and Adreno 305 made on 28nm).

So the CPU alone is half as powerful as the CPU in the Lumia 520, and GPU is of the previous generation. Windows Phone 8 currently couldn't run on this hardware even if Nokia wanted it to.

At first I was curious about the Nokia X phones, now I will definitely wait to see reviews. Single thread performance on the Cortex A8 in the N9 is better than on Nokia X. That combined with a relative old Android version will most likely result in bad performance, but I'll wait for the reviews to see this confirmed
What did you expect? Those phones are targetted at emerging markets...

i rather buy Moto G/Razr M LTE than Nokia X.

I think the phone is ambitious.

Ambitious that it plans for rock-bottom prices.
Ambitious that they can circumvent all Google services with alternatives.
Ambitious that it tries to skin/mod Android OS in its entirety
(most OEM skins are half-assed attempts, for inspiration just look at MIUI).

Yet its flawed.
Because its not as cheap as it should be.
Because the services they offer aren't better.
Because the skin isn't as good as it should be.

How I would've done the "Nokia X"?
A) Price (after tax etc etc):
$99 (73 Euros)
$150 (109 Euros)
...only two prices, two models

B) Specs:
1GB RAM, 16GB NAND, microSD.
3.5mm jack, microUSB, front loudspeaker, no physical buttons.

Cheaper one with a 4.0inch qHD screen (275 ppi), 1,600mAh battery.
More expensive with a 4.5inch 720p screen (326 ppi), 2,000mAh battery.

SoC-wise, something more modern like
-1.5GHz Dualcore A12 processor
(A total of 357 Kangal Performance Points)
-1.0GHz Dualcore Krait Snapdragon S4 / 400
(261 KPP)
-1.2GHz Quadcore A7 processors
(258 KPP)
-1.2GHz Dualcore A9 (battery life sucker)
(240 KPP)

C) Skin-wise:
Something not dull, but not complex... a fine balance.

No volume buttons means adjusting volume in Notifications tray
(c'mon we don't use those buttons that often)

No power button means we could squeeze the phone as a power button (innovative idea of mine).

No soft-buttons means gestures... but no side-screen gestures like the N9, the borders are too small and feel uncomfortable. Swipe down for Notifications which is much like Android.

Swipe up to show the running tasks arranged like in the RIM PlayBook (tap to resume, tap corner to see App's settings, swipe to close). Running tasks has an App dock (PlayBook) and serve as a shortcut to launch your favourite 4 Apps like on the iPhone. Swipe up once more and the 4 Apps come to the top of the screen in a 4 x 4 grid, the "Launcher".

Or you can doubles-swipe quickly, or a single two finger swipe will circumvent the Tasks screen and head straight into the Launcher. Here Apps can be re-arranged anywhere, put into folders, resized from a single (1x1) block into a larger (4x1) widget-like rectangle. Really no need for widgets, music controls put into Notifications shade. Photo gallery instead becomes the Launcher background, can be changed with a three-finger tap. Want to explore the calendar? Launch the App you lazy, its more powerful and less cluttering. Want emails? Preview it in the Notifications, or launch the app.

As for themes?
Head into Settings and into Customizations. Change the Ringtone, the Notifications tone, the Wallpaper.
You could also change the transitions, so picking Transformers will do a cool "transforming" transition when heading into/out of Apps and make a Decepticon sound. Or something girly where the screen can pop with pink fairy dust and make some cute sounds. I dunno go bananas.

Then there's a colour palette where you select two colours (primary and a secondary) and it affects system wide. Eg Black and Orange will make everything dark themed with Orange as the standout. You could pick Yellow and Blue like your favourite teams colours. Or go stupid with something like White and Yellow (eye-bleed). Its upto you.

Making the feel of the phone transform into something you want (and you dont have to spend hours doing it like on Android) and not impossible like on iOS/WP8.

Something like that I had in mind for the User Experience.
Combine the flexibility of Android, with the intuitivity of iOS, and the consistency of Windows Phone.

I'm flattered

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
plain and simple... it's the end of the world.

(29)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
I was so sure this is a hoax, I just could not see a way for Microsoft to ever release a Linux-based device, I thought that went so against their DNA
Originally Posted by mbanck View Post
As I understand it, the Nokia acquisition is not complete, and Microsoft has no management saying in Nokia yet.
Microsoft probably does not like the X series, and they might kill it off as their first management decision once Nokia is fully absorbed.
Oh it is complete already, and I rather think Microsoft has had all their say in Nokia for the last three years

Originally Posted by mbanck View Post
Then again, maybe they hope people will start using their (abundently pre-installed) services, and upgrade to a Windows Mobile Phone once they got enough money, wouldn't be too stupid if you ask me.
Apparently that is the plan. Time will tell how it succeeds.
If the X-series devices prove to be good build quality and hackable to some extent, I might get one for myself just for the fun of trying to strip the MSUI off it and replase it with SailfishOS

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Oh it is complete already, and I rather think Microsoft has had all their say in Nokia for the last three years

Agreed but not yet closed. Apparently going to be finalised next month.

But I agree with the last three years part.

Posts: 308 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Graveyard
...I might get one for myself just for the fun of trying to strip the MSUI off it...

Nokia X+ Running Nova Launcher Spotted At the MWC

The Following User Says Thank You to ranbaxy For This Useful Post: