Posts: 1,103 | Thanked: 368 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ india, indore
Originally Posted by sigbert View Post
Hi,

I found a solution under: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1147275

The sulu image has no /etc/groups file, therefore no group crontab exists. so, I created the group with:

Code:
groupadd crontab
and I try to install R now.

Sigbert
i have estle image! also i dont understand what do you by thaat code. can anyone explain it plz ( i am very noob here)

get your smooth live wallpaper today
My YouTube videos

it happens to me when my installation fails in Synaptic Package Manager

i searched the solution but didn't found any... so this is what i do...

Warning - this will reset Easy Debian LXDE
Requirement - you need to have lxde image file i.e "debian-m5-v3e.img.ext2"

1) connect N900 to pc (enable hidden files and folders)
2) in N900 main directory you will find a 2gb file named "debian-m5-v3e.img.ext2"
3) rename debian-m5-v3e.img.ext2 image file of Easy debian to debian-m5-v3e.img.ext2.bak(backup file)
4) extract a new image on that location from debian-m5-v3e.img.ext2.lzma.. (doing it from pc will be fast)
5) disconnect from Pc
6) Start Lxde
7) in case it doesn't work you are still having Backup as ".bak"

The Following User Says Thank You to immi.shk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by nicholes View Post
i installed easy Debian today. i am very new in this OS, when i go to synaptic pkg mg (assuming we can install apps via this) i searched for blender. and it was downloading but i got some error .............

W: Failed to fetch http://www.debian-multimedia.org/poo...-0.0_armel.deb
404 Not Found

W: Failed to fetch http://www.debian-multimedia.org/poo...-0.0_armel.deb
404 Not Found
Your package database is outdated. Run this before trying to install blender:
Code:
sudo apt-get update
Clicking "Reload" in Synaptic will do the same.

Which image do you use? If you're using one of the older Debian Lenny/Squeeze-based images chances are that installing new software will break things. I suggest to use either my or (better) Estel's image, which are completely based on Debian Squeeze.

later i got this when i try diffrent packages(now even in blender)

Code:
dpkg: unrecoveralbe fatal error abortin:
syntax error: unknown group 'crontab' in statover file
E: sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)
A package failed to install. trying to recover:
I guess sigbert is right and /etc/groups is missing in my image. I remember tinkering with it. It might just have been at the time when I uploaded my image. Estel's image most likely suffers from the same problem since it's based on mine.

i try k3d also but i got same erorr every time
I assume you mean k3b? It's the same reason as for the blender libs. Your package database want's to install a k3b version which is no longer in the repo.
btw, just curious: Why would one install a disc burning software on a smartphone?

i was installing other 3d viwer and i got this

perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
LANGUAGE = (unset),
LC_ALL = (unset),
LC_PAPER = "en_IN",
LC_ADDRESS = "en_IN",
LC_MONETARY = "en_IN",
LC_NUMERIC = "en_IN",
LC_TELEPHONE = "en_IN",
LC_MESSAGES = "en_US",
LC_IDENTIFICATION = "en_IN",
LC_MEASUREMENT = "en_IN",
LC_TIME = "en_US",
LC_NAME = "en_IN",
LANG = "en_US"
are supported and installed on your system.
perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
Your locales are not installed in your image. To solve that run:
Code:
dpkg-reconfigure locales
In the upcoming menu select all four of the ISO 8859-1and the UTF8 variants of en_US and en_IN

i have estle image! also i dont understand what do you by thaat code. can anyone explain it plz ( i am very noob here)
As pointed out by sigbert the /etc/groups file, which handles all group settings is missing. Blender or some of its dependencies apparently want's to create a crontab entry (a task that is executed automatically at given times). To do that the user who runs this task must be a member of the crontab group. Since there are no group definitions at all we don't even have a crontab group, so we need to create it. That's what sigbert's command does.

Originally Posted by sulu View Post
Your package database is outdated. Run this before trying to install blender:
Code:
sudo apt-get update
Clicking "Reload" in Synaptic will do the same.

Which image do you use? If you're using one of the older Debian Lenny/Squeeze-based images chances are that installing new software will break things. I suggest to use either my or (better) Estel's image, which are completely based on Debian Squeeze.

I guess sigbert is right and /etc/groups is missing in my image. I remember tinkering with it. It might just have been at the time when I uploaded my image. Estel's image most likely suffers from the same problem since it's based on mine.

I assume you mean k3b? It's the same reason as for the blender libs. Your package database want's to install a k3b version which is no longer in the repo.
btw, just curious: Why would one install a disc burning software on a smartphone?

Your locales are not installed in your image. To solve that run:
Code:
dpkg-reconfigure locales
In the upcoming menu select all four of the ISO 8859-1and the UTF8 variants of en_US and en_IN

As pointed out by sigbert the /etc/groups file, which handles all group settings is missing. Blender or some of its dependencies apparently want's to create a crontab entry (a task that is executed automatically at given times). To do that the user who runs this task must be a member of the crontab group. Since there are no group definitions at all we don't even have a crontab group, so we need to create it. That's what sigbert's command does.
(since i am a noob ) i asume that these task to be done in root xtrm(under debian) (if not plz tell me). so i did.

update apt-get

and when i dpkg-recofigure ....

there are more than four ISO 8859-1 (can you be more specific plz) or i should mark all named "ISO 8859-1" ?

i was just trying to install anything to test only

Thanks!

My YouTube videos

i asume that these task to be done in root xtrm(under debian)
Correct!

and when i dpkg-recofigure ....

there are more than four ISO 8859-1 (can you be more specific plz) or i should mark all named "ISO 8859-1" ?
No, don't install all! Have a look at the output with the locales warnings (LC_...): There you'll find basically two locales: en_IN and en_US
You'll need to create these locales. So in the dpkg-reconfigure menu you chose en_IN and en_US, these are the ISO 8859-1 locales (I'm not sure if ISO 8859-1 is part of the displayed name). Strictly spoken these two are enough, but it doesn't hurt to create the UTF8 variants and sometimes they come in handy. So just create them too.
bottom line: you'll have four locales: en_IN (ISO 8859-1), en_US (ISO 8859-1), en_IN UTF8, en_US UTF8

The Following User Says Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
i did not find en_IN (ISO 8859-1) (as image shows)

so i go with three only and msg appeared "generation complete"

but when i try to close qindow a warning appear

"you are about to close a toorxtrm window this may cause loss of data.are you sure you want to continue?"

should i press ok?

EDIT:- i clicked ok! hope everything will be fine
Attached Images

My YouTube videos

Last edited by nicholes; 2012-03-19 at 13:29.

I got blender installed!!! Thanks!
But the bad news is that it does not start....
I did not find en_IN (ISO 8859-1) (as image shows)

???????? What can cause this?

My YouTube videos

i did not find en_IN (ISO 8859-1) (as image shows)
It might be possible that Devanagari (I guess that's what's behind the IN locale) does not fit into the ISO 859-1 table which would make a locale of that type pointless.
In that case the solution for your blender problem would be to change your default locale to UTF8. I'll have to look up how to do that on the N900 unless somebody else is faster.

but when i try to close qindow a warning appear

"you are about to close a toorxtrm window this may cause loss of data.are you sure you want to continue?"

should i press ok?
That warning is normal and nothing to be concerned about. You can disable it by checking the checkbox in the window.

The Following User Says Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post: