Active Topics

Posts: 586 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
I must say: " i don't care at all. I have Jolla <3"

Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Agreed but not yet closed. Apparently going to be finalised next month.

But I agree with the last three years part.
To quote a Nokia press release dated 14th Feb, it is "expected to close in the first quarter of 2014, subject to regulatory approvals and other customary closing conditions"

Originally Posted by mbanck View Post
What did you expect? Those phones are targetted at emerging markets...
I expected a similar SoC specs to the Lumia 520, because the price is also close. But the CPU in the Lumia 520 is twice as powerful as the cpu in Nokia X.
In the press Nokia is calling it Dual core Qualcom snapdragon, giving the impression that it is similar to the low-end Lumia phones, but it isn't. the SoC is something where they cut costs.

It will be interesting to see just how low the price of Nokia X will go. The Lumia 520 started at 179,- euro here in the Netherlands and currently is 119,- euro (no-branding, simlock-free, including taxes and Nokia rebate). Prepaid versions are cheaper (99 euro), and I read that in the US the AT&T and T-mobile prepaid versions are even cheaper than that.
At those prices I think I would recommend the Lumia 520 to these Nokia X phones because of the low-end SoC.

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by Makeclick View Post
At first I did not care.. Probably this is needed to prove a point that Nokia cares about business strategy instead of selling out to MS.

But...2014 brings Android on "Nokia"

& Sailfish on select Android devices =>

Sailfish on Nokia , Cheap

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I will have to eat the humble pie, poor me
OMG, juiceme, same here! I could not have put it better. In fact I was so sure this was a hoax that I consciously ignored this thread considering it a troll bait.

Wow! What has the world come to? And what next? Microsoft actually contributing to open source?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by Makeclick View Post
I care, if Jolla takes these amongst the supported Android phones.

(The low) Price of these things + Nokia build quality + Sailfish would be something that I would like to try.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
I was hoping that there would be a little more excitement about the X phone on TMO than this, what gives?

I have been looking for a new phone for a while now and the XL looks like a nice cheap device to play with as a stop gap for later things. Heck, a Nokia device built on an open source OS with an uncertain future is right up my alley

Who else is buying one?
The reason for the lack of excitement is probably because these are purposefully made to be poorer than lower end Windows Phone phones.

Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
So they make its UI to look like Windows Phone. Most people will think it is Windows Phone as it has tiles, whereas all their friends with Samsung devices with Android look different.

So this will cement the image of Windows Phone as a lower end product, and the natural upgrade path is to (real) Android.

Oh, wait ?

Everywhere there's room for it there'll be an "upgrade to Windows Phone" sticker, I am sure :B

Originally Posted by mbanck View Post
As I understand it, the Nokia acquisition is not complete, and Microsoft has no management saying in Nokia yet.

Microsoft probably does not like the X series, and they might kill it off as their first management decision once Nokia is fully absorbed.

Then again, maybe they hope people will start using their (abundently pre-installed) services, and upgrade to a Windows Mobile Phone once they got enough money, wouldn't be too stupid if you ask me.

(Oh, and there's rumors that Elop will become Chief Technology/Hardware Officer or whatever it's called)
It was Elop that presented the Nokia X, ref. my first post in this thread.

It's no rumor, when Elop return to Microsoft he will replace Julie Larson-Green as the head of Microsoft's Devices and Studios group. She will be demoted to the chief experience officer of the "My Life and Work" team in the Applications and Services Engineering group. And her job will be to make sure that ModernUI is consistantly used everywhere, including your car, and now also on Android. As Ballmer said,

"we will see our product line holistically1)".

1) ******** Hypeword Bingo keyword

Last edited by volt; 2014-02-28 at 12:23.

Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
Nokia X hacked: rooted, stock Android, Google Apps a go
Not a week after Nokia X has been revealed as the company’s first Android smartphone, it’s been hacked. Intrepid developer KashaMalaga has made with the quick process of bypassing the device’s locked bootloader and rooting it to bring on stock Android.
http://www.slashgear.com/nokia-x-hac...a-go-28319036/

I'm sure it will be running Sailfish soon enough.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maluka For This Useful Post: