Hi,

I have fMMS 1.0.3 installed from extras repository. I'd like to update it without waiting for a new version to be promoted to extras repository (and I do not want to activater extras-devel or extras-testing). Newer version 1.1.4 (https://garage.maemo.org/frs/downloa..._1.1.4_all.deb) can be downloaded, but I'm newbie and I don't know which is the best way to install it. The appmanager says that there are some dependencies not installed. I'm not sure if using dpkg -i is a good option because I have read this in http://wiki.maemo.org/Installing_applications :
The major disadvantage to installing .debs locally as opposed to installing from a repository is that you wont be automatically notified of updates to the package. Also dependency installation is not automatic.
What about package dependencies? Do you recommend me using dpkg in the console or the GUI package installer?
How do you usually update fMMS or other apps before they are promoted to extras?

Best regards,
Iker

Posts: 458 | Thanked: 274 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Finland
Using the .deb is as dangerous as installing it from -testing or -devel (if not even more dangerous). I would advice to either wait for it to come to Extras or just be brave and enable -devel (of course the usual disclaimers apply).

Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
Originally Posted by MiK546 View Post
Using the .deb is as dangerous as installing it from -testing or -devel (if not even more dangerous). I would advice to either wait for it to come to Extras or just be brave and enable -devel (of course the usual disclaimers apply).
I can't see why it's more dangerous if it's from the same source.

Originally Posted by MiK546 View Post
So, what about the package dependencies? How are they resolved using dpkg -i? The app manager says "not installable" because there are package dependencies not fulfilled.

Thanks