Active Topics

Posts: 100 | Thanked: 389 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Finland
Apparently TRI started to discuss about the shop already last autumn.

http://yle.fi/uutiset/salon_kaupungi...aketti/8701556

It looks like this is going to actually happen.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skvark For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by JulmaHerra View Post
How so? If they set up manufacturing line to be operational in April, 300 000 phones shouldn't be a problem if it's not severely undersized in capacity. But it requires capital and personnel, I wonder if they got the money to do it and to keep it running.
How so you ask? Have we learned nothing here. Jolla didn't even manage to build more than a few thousand at best and they had a heads start, all the OS expertise in house and twice the time.

Does this turing strikes you as an organization that has anything of that...

Huge Bank account, blueprints, deals with factories and suppliers, sales channels, promotion campaigns and above all 300.000 customers that is willing to buy dust...

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
They're trying to sell phones that are extra secure into China? The Chinese government will love that.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
How so you ask? Have we learned nothing here. Jolla didn't even manage to build more than a few thousand at best and they had a heads start, all the OS expertise in house and twice the time.
Jolla never was a manufacturing company with their own manufacturing line.

Yet, the numbers presented by TRI are quite optimistic, but not because of 300 000 devices in this year. Ten years ago Nokia churned such numbers in couple of days from that factory, so if the manufacturing line is not too crippled, that production volume is not an issue. However, financials, demand and quite a lot of other details...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Jolla never was a manufacturing company with their own manufacturing line.
True. But they had other advantages like control of the OS and adjustments.
We can be pretty sure Turing don't have that yet either for their first product.

Yet, the numbers presented by TRI are quite optimistic, but not because of 300 000 devices in this year. Ten years ago Nokia churned such numbers in couple of days from that factory, so if the manufacturing line is not too crippled, that production volume is not an issue.
Did you just compare Turing with Nokia? Ok, I will leave this argumentation right here

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2016-02-26 at 11:04.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
If Jolla's goal was to sell "millions" of phones 2014 then I think anyone can manufacture a measly 300 000 phones with ready made manufacturing facilities.

http://reviewjolla.blogspot.fi/2015/...ufacturer.html

The Following User Says Thank You to nestori For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Shipping in April? They should have started manufacturing now. With the company as small as turing they won't have as strong producing capacity as Samsung or Huawei, I will be surprised if they can reach thousands units a day.

Considering logistics shipping even producing now is too late for April. (And plus an Easter holiday in Europe, during which all will be colsed.)

Let's assume Turing is really producing these phones now, which means they will have a few hardware prototypes which can show their development. I understand the SW may not be ready yet, but we even did not see a video with HW prototype.

And if you consider getting the chipsets, components, and complexity of the device (material, build as they claimed) and the size of their company, it looks more and more like a scam to me. I wouldn't call Jolla Tablet a scam but this may turn out to be one.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
There's no way they'd be shipping on April. From Salo at least.

I'm just wondering that what is the scam at the moment if they are not accepting new pre-orders? To get financial support from investors?

The Following User Says Thank You to nestori For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
Let's assume Turing is really producing these phones now, which means they will have a few hardware prototypes which can show their development. I understand the SW may not be ready yet, but we even did not see a video with HW prototype.
Physical prototypes do seem to exist: http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/18/89...nds-on-preview

(not that I disagree with your scepticism about them ever actually coming to market)

The Following User Says Thank You to MikeHG For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
True. But they had other advantages like control of the OS and adjustments.
We can be pretty sure Turing don't have that yet either for their first product.
But they were dependent on external party to manufacture their designs, which was major PIA even in Nokia times when Maemo-devices were manufactured in far east and you never could be sure if they switched some components to make it cheaper without telling you. Turing has a design, AFAIK there have been prototypes for some time now. In that sense, building manufacturing line for single product (at this point) shouldn't be too difficult task as there is still some knowhow left in Salo area.

Did you just compare Turing with Nokia? Ok, I will leave this argumentation right here
Um.... I just stated that back in days that factory could churn out such numbers in a matter of couple of days. In that sense manufacturing 300 000 devices in about seven or eight months is a non issue technically. They are another things that raise my eyebrows on this than sheer manufacturing capability of the line.

Besides, you forgot the word "scam." You are slipping.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:

Tags
dave999scam, sailfish, scamfish, turing, turingphone