Notices

Posts: 163 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
I was thinking about the possibility of implementing a "find as you type" for apps.
Is there any way to run an app instead of the menu popping up?
Would anybody else find this useful?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dbrodie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 139 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Connecticut, United States
I was thinking about the same thing. That would be so cool.

The Following User Says Thank You to alienhead For This Useful Post:
Posts: 455 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Oregon, USA
are you refering to something that is similiar to gnome-do or launchy? because that would be invaluable!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to craftyguy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 139 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Connecticut, United States
we are referring to, the way you type and see the contacts, similarly if we could type and find apps.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alienhead For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,154 | Thanked: 2,186 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Hellsinki, Finland
This would be very very very usefull when you have plenty of apps (like I do). I think best kind of implement would be that when you type something on homescreen, it would search for contacts, apps and bookmarks instead of just contacts.

80's style stadium rock is back - FIRENOTE
Hi-Octane heavy metal - FORCE MAJEURE

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to d-iivil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
sounds good.

i would like it when you open up the menu and just start typing and it'll start filtering.

i think typing on the homescreen should be restricted to contacts, but then again, i guess this is just a question of preference?! could be an option.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to msa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 259 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Vilnius, Lithuania
Originally Posted by msa View Post
sounds good.

i would like it when you open up the menu and just start typing and it'll start filtering.

i think typing on the homescreen should be restricted to contacts, but then again, i guess this is just a question of preference?! could be an option.
+1 On your idea.

Posts: 64 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany, near Hamburg
Maybe like for contacts but you would begin with one push of the spacebar and then begin typing the app name. So you only get a list of apps and simply press enter when the right one is highlighted to run the app.

Posts: 150 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ California, USA
Great idea!

'Keep your friend close and your enemies closer.'

I've had this idea since PR1.2. It needs to happen. I keep all my apps in alphabetical order (standard) so just pressing a button would save me literally minuets a day looking for an application (I have a lot of apps).

One more thing to take into consideration is the fact that if I wanted to play Doom, in my mind the thought would be to press D (for Doom), but in the application manager it is PrDoom. Same with OpenArena and Quake. Maybe it would be good if the search looked more in depth.