baxyp, thanks for your very hard work. i'm a bit paranoid about installing a modest with patches that aren't upstream, though. have you pushed your work upstream and/or to bugzilla?

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by jacktanner View Post
baxyp, thanks for your very hard work. i'm a bit paranoid about installing a modest with patches that aren't upstream, though. have you pushed your work upstream and/or to bugzilla?
Looking at those patches, there's really nothing to be paranoid about.

P.S. baxyp, G_STRFUNC!

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
@baxyp

Inspired by your patches I've grabbed Modest sources and start to look for a way to skip large emails in POP3. But the code is already there. It reads the msg_size_limit from gconf and then it should skip those messages. I went there and included a 100KB limit to test it but it didn't work: the N900 still lists the >100KB emails in the inbox...

Now, the question. Did you see, in any place in modest code, some way of making it behave like this (for POP3)?
1) Skip mails larger then the gconf option (it seems to be already there)
2) When downloading, download the full messages, instead of only the headers, skipping the large emails, of course.

I built latest tinymail (1.1.92) and modest 3.4.8. Works but segfaults randomly

baxyp, did your changes get pushed to git?

Also i see in the logs that there are still changes now and then, it would be great if somebody now and then could make a new build that we then can use.. (i really hate that modest is part of the firmware update, why oh why oh why)

The Following User Says Thank You to jcompagner For This Useful Post:
Posts: 168 | Thanked: 206 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by baxyp View Post
Ok, I uploaded debian packages to another server, libtinymail-camel is too large for an attachment:

libtinymail-camel-1.0-0_1.1.91-baxyp.1_armel.deb
modest_3.4.2-baxyp.1_armel.deb

Anyway, I do not recommend those as these broke my ability to apt-get another packages later. libtinymail-camel contains other camel libs in addition to libcamelpop3 and this may break something. The tar.gz method should be fine until PR1.3 and considering how long it took for 1.2, I think there is time
Is there a way to re-install original files and then do unpacking of tar-file (i.e. undo apt-get breakdown)?

Last edited by Gusse; 2010-08-05 at 15:08.

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 94 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Pärnu, Estonia
No, my changes are not in git, but both problems, should be resolved there already. Performance improvement patch, which is basically one liner to disable redundant mail checks, could be pushed to git though. I'm not sure I'm doing the right thing there, but it seems to work. Maybe it is better to make a separate bug report about modest checking mail 3 times when send/receive is pressed and let the original developers work on a proper solution. It amazes me though that they have missed such a very obvious flaw. When you run modest with debugging on you can easily see the redundant action taking place (export CAMEL_DEBUG=all; modest) ...

problem is, and i still am "profiling" that a bit.
But it seems that checking mail kost quickly 10MB of data!!
I still dont get how that even is possible. But i have a very expensive phone bill because of that, At least it has to be Modest (dont know anything else). Also a co worker of mine told me the same story, he was through 20MB of data in notime..

Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
Originally Posted by Gusse View Post
Is there a way to re-install original files and then do unpacking of tar-file (i.e. undo apt-get breakdown)?
apt-get install --reinstall modest
Should do it.

Posts: 168 | Thanked: 206 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ToJa92 View Post
apt-get install --reinstall modest
Should do it.
No luck with that or
Code:
apt-get --reinstall install libtinymail-camel-1.0-0 modest
Code:
/home/user # apt-get install --reinstall modest
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Reinstallation of modest is not possible, it cannot be downloaded.
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
  mp-fremantle-generic-pr: Depends: modest (= 3.2.13-3+0m5) but 3.4.2-baxyp.1 is to be installed
                           Depends: libtinymail-camel-1.0-0 (= 1.1.90-svn4193+0m5) but 1.1.91-baxyp.1 is to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
Anyway, this not a big problem cause modest is working fast and without any problems. Just checking if there is a way to go back to normal PR1.2 and then implement tar-file fix.

E: Would this do more harm than good?
Code:
apt-get --purge remove libtinymail-camel-1.0-0 modest

Last edited by Gusse; 2010-08-05 at 20:01.