Originally Posted by pantera1989 View Post
I like pie.
and I like beautiful women. :P

look, it's simple. i really don't care if Nokia is supporting the N900/Maemo or if the community is. as long as there's some support, i'm happy. short of writing code myself (there's only a limited amount of stuff i can write in my limited life span), i'd be happy to re-use other people's work.

the n900 is the best phone i have used and i have been a smart phone user for as long as i can remember (the only non smartphones i used were an Ericsson T10 and T28). i even had my hands on the early PPC devices (back when HandHeld PC was still a name people mentioned) which were only PDAs with no phone functions.

i love the n900 for what it is and i wouldn't trade it for anything else in the market. so there you have it. the n900 works for some segments of the market and doesn't for others.

The Following User Says Thank You to droll For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by pantera1989 View Post
Originally Posted by johnel View Post
I like cake.
I like pie.
I prefer pi. They last longer.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 778 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Jun 2010
Originally Posted by maartenmk View Post
I'm not sure if you meant this as a a bad or a good example of Nokia support, but:
The 5800 did get kinetic scrolling. And a new homescreen. And free Ovi maps. An updated browser. A new audio player. And it multitasks pretty well in my experience.
one or maybe 2 months after the 5530
i had the mobile since jan 2008
sold it off and bought n900
and no.. it cant even run ebuddy and the browser at the same time

Originally Posted by kenga View Post
Is there way to fix closed source? Show me.
i wasnt pointing my comment to you but just to answer your question,

no there is none.. but then what alternatives do we have.. as far as apps are concerned. we can help support the developers here at the community , donate or whatever we can do to help. this community is already pretty helpful.. we can keep making it more like a place where you can find answers to all your questions so you dont't feel like a left out by nokia

.. if nokia isnt going to support.. i wouldnt really care cos at a corporate level.. there's nothing we(most of us) can do..It has to b done from the inside

and well i wouldnt go for any other phone in any case..im just a beginner in linux and I try to get help from other memebers here and I do get it.. I try to help others and answer the things that I can based on my understanding so far.. so why would I b bothered to call nokia.
I agree its not the right way how nokia does things, but I think they're just too old to understand the point. :P

Originally Posted by PathFinder@9GS View Post
no there is none.. but then what alternatives do we have.. as far as apps are concerned. we can help support the developers here at the community , donate or whatever we can do to help. this community is already pretty helpful.. we can keep making it more like a place where you can find answers to all your questions so you dont't feel like a left out by nokia
As soon as community can fix Desktop or write new Contacts application -- that's good for N900 and community.
But there are couple of core applications which broken and closed. Phone application is one of them.
All we can do here -- KICKS AND SCREAMS in hope Nokia will somehow response.

Although personally I lost all hope in Nokia as company.
Nokia has no balls.

The Following User Says Thank You to kenga For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by kenga View Post
As soon as community can fix Desktop[..]
Hildon Desktop, Hildon Status Menu and Hildon Home are open. But you're correct on the rest.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
I'm all for open sourcing all the components but I think some people here think everything will magically be fixed if it was.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
[...]I think some people here think everything will magically be fixed if it was.
Indeed, but with Nokia WONTFIXing many requests, the closed component in question is never going to see a fix either way.

Anyway, I've had this conversation to death and the end result is the same: The N900 remains a closed device. Yawn. Nothing new here; move on.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 502 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ /dev/null
maemo is far more open than android, you can't multiboot on android except for G1 can ya? Then there's the issues with trying to get super user access, since when was android easy on obtaining super user access?

I'll agree that n900 has been a bit of a fail for nokia but at the very end its a more proper linux tablet/phone compared to android and for now I can enjoy tinkering to my heart's content and using power tools available on proper linux unlike what android has to offer.. no rfmon HAH!

The Following User Says Thank You to tuxsavvy For This Useful Post:
Well back to the topic, I also think it is a load of crap and they don't care really. They are just deflecting issues to some other department as this is the working culture of Nokia as of late. What can the N900 team possibly do about the Ovi problem? If you think about it for a second, you can see that it is a group not acknowledging a issue, and before you can even think they pass it on to someone else leaving you in limbo. A day in the DMV or a bureaucratic office.

The Following User Says Thank You to MoJo For This Useful Post:

Tags
be happy, don't worry, glasshalffull, haveniceday, koolaid, pradabrada, speaketh truth, thinkpositive