Posts: 805 | Thanked: 440 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Mississauga, On
Hey, my n900 is running terribly slow. Takes forever to transition when I get a phone call. Apps take forever to load, and my browser and email time out all the time.

What are my options to rectify this?

Posts: 458 | Thanked: 274 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Finland
Have you tried reebooting?

Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
Open xterm and run top, or install Conky. They can show you what's using CPU time. Hopefully something will be, and you can identify it and proceed with trying to figure out why it's acting up.

The usual suspects are apt-worker and tracker indexer/thumbnailer.

If your tracker has gone crazy you can reset its databases and cause it to do a full rebuild (only takes a minute or two) by opening xterm and running "tracker-processes -r"

Posts: 199 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Canada
Originally Posted by joshua.maverick View Post
Hey, my n900 is running terribly slow. Takes forever to transition when I get a phone call. Apps take forever to load, and my browser and email time out all the time.

What are my options to rectify this?
I have the exact same issue with very few apps installed. I guess the N900 just gets slow over time. Annoying.

Posts: 429 | Thanked: 217 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Dubai
Originally Posted by Kajko View Post
I have the exact same issue with very few apps installed. I guess the N900 just gets slow over time. Annoying.
download and use the "Optimize N900" script
you can search for it and find it

then as suggested use conky to define which app is using alot of space

and keep a last option is to flash your n900

also please specify if you've OCed your N900?if so then what profile and whats the limits??

Posts: 16 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ London
I had my n900 running slowly as well and opening apps took forever, but then I realized I had livewallpaper enabled on views (screens) which I was not using (D'oh!!>-)) as I am using only 1 at the moment... Now it is back to superfast again (improved transitions/swappolube/etc...).

But I guess no one else is making such stupid mistakes

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by Kajko View Post
It's not Windows, it won't get slow over time under normal use. If you tried everything under extras-devel without extra caution, you might need to prepare to reflash your N900 from time to time.

By taking advices from users in this forums, mine get faster and more battery friendly over time. You may want to stick around more.

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Originally Posted by 9000 View Post
It's not Windows, it won't get slow over time under normal use. If you tried everything under extras-devel without extra caution, you might need to prepare to reflash your N900 from time to time.

By taking advices from users in this forums, mine get faster and more battery friendly over time. You may want to stick around more.
Sorry for going off topic, but I've been using Windows XP on one of my PCs since like 2004 and it's runs just fine.. :/

Back to topic.. I am also getting some random time-outs on my browser only when I open a link in a new window.. doesn't always happen but it's super annoying when it does.. Gonna have to try the optimise N900 script..

Last edited by bandora; 2010-10-09 at 14:19.

What theme and transitions are you using?

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by bandora View Post
Sorry for going off topic, but I've been using Windows XP on one of my PCs since like 2004 and it's runs just fine.. :/

Back to topic.. I am also getting some random time-outs on my browser only when I open a link in a new window.. doesn't always happen but it's super annoying when it does.. Gonna have to try the optimise N900 script..
I don't think the optimize script would help you in your case.