Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by SavageD View Post
No doubt a beast like the n900 with like a 100 processes running in the background on a daily basis, having the reduced cpu load go towards the psx emulator, whether its an *unoptimized version with no hardware acceleration* or not, you would see a large increase in performance. Prove me wrong?

Although Ironically I was saying the same thing you were saying,

But on a larger scale...

I had said this already, it was just a *thought*, Though I am also speaking from experience as I have a tendancy to downgrade gadgets to increase performance.
I had already proved you by stating facts. The N900 is not a beast unless a software makes use of it's hardware.
Want more proof? Have your device on idle with no programs running. Go to xterm and type "top". The CPU usage should be around the 2-4 percent mark when idle. Eliminating that would mean a slight increase in FPS but nothing more.

In any case you don't need any more proof than simply saying "unoptimized piece of software that's still in development".
maybe someone like smoku or javispedro could convince you otherwise since they are the people who actually know what they're talking about.
In the meanwhile, brush up on your computer science.
________
Starcraft ii replays

Last edited by nax3000; 2011-03-18 at 13:29.

The Following User Says Thank You to nax3000 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
Originally Posted by nax3000 View Post
I had already proved you by stating facts. The N900 is not a beast unless a software makes use of it's hardware.
Want more proof? Have your device on idle with no programs running. Go to xterm and type "top". The CPU usage should be around the 2-4 percent mark when idle. Eliminating that would mean a slight increase in FPS but nothing more.

In any case you don't need any more proof than simply saying "unoptimized piece of software that's still in development".
maybe someone like smoku or javispedro could convince you otherwise since they are the people who actually know what they're talking about.
Plus you are forgetting the main reason why this is a bad idea. No ability to call while you play. This means I would need another phone if I want to be available for calls.

So it would make more sense to keep the N900 as a phone/internet tablet/computer (call it whatever you want), and buy a PSP which has a bigger screen, better gaming buttons, can play PSX games well..and............can play PSP games.

...I guess I'd expect this from a guy who once wanted to exchange his n900 for a motorola milestone.

Interestingly enough I cannot get my phone down 2-4%, 10-15% yes.

Though there was only a small spike in performance, the fps increased didn't it? I mean, why the hell are you arguing with me over the same point that we both agree on...

You would gain one or maybe two frames per second.
I am saying the same thing but on a larger scale!.

And despite the fact that I've been constantly saying that there is no guarantee to any of what I've been saying, you keep pushing your nonsense????

There is nothing to argue about!!!

I think you should brush up on your skills of interpretation, and
I am done arguing with you as you seem to make me more confused with each post....what the hell is your problem?

...I guess I'd expect this from a guy who once wanted to exchange his n900 for a motorola milestone.
What does that even mean? FYI the milestone has the EXACT SAME TI OMAP chipset as the N900. It's identical in specs.

Interestingly enough I cannot get my phone down 2-4%, 10-15% yes.

Though there was only a small spike in performance, the fps increased didn't it? I mean, why the hell are you arguing with me over the same point that we both agree on...

I am saying the same thing but on a larger scale!.

And despite the fact that I've been constantly saying that there is no guarantee to any of what I've been saying, you keep pushing your nonsense????

There is nothing to argue about!!!

I think you should brush up on your skills of interpretation, and
I am done arguing with you as you seem to make me more confused with each post....what the hell is your problem?
Calm down. My problem is that you are now backpedaling and saying that we agree on something when clearly we are not.
I don't know if you're a native English speaker but "on a larger scale" means what I said (an increase on FPS) but much more (an ever higher increase on FPS, which you said earlier is 50-60 percent) which is clearly not true.
I'm just trying to make a point, as politely as I can and you stick the fact that "oh, it's to be expected from a person who wanted to switch to a milestone" and "keep pushing my nonesense".

Anyway, I am now officially done spending any more energy on the likes of you.
________
Bdsm gay

Last edited by nax3000; 2011-03-18 at 13:29.

basically, it wont do much good. for a "mobile computer", running only 1 app/boot software won't make it that far if it doesn't have an OS to run on.
hardware access, etc, MAY be possible but... meh, i dont think anyone would do that.

This is actually how the Pandora operates... the issue with trying to do it for the N900 isn't the complexity of it (of which I'm certain it'd be possible with some hard work)... its just no body will want to do it. The performance increase will also be minimal.

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
No doubt a beast like the n900 with like a 100 processes running in the background on a daily basis, having the reduced cpu load go towards the psx emulator, whether its an *unoptimized version with no hardware acceleration* or not, you would see a large increase in performance. Prove me wrong?
It's not 1980 anymore. With current event-based operating systems a process launched does not necessarily mean the process taking CPU cycles.

Go to command line and run 'top' utility. Watch the STAT column. The R means the process is running. S means process is sleeping. Most of the launched processes are usually sleeping most of the time waiting for events needing their attention. If the event happens the kernel wakes up the process, it takes action and sleeps again.

Most of the process' won't even take up memory, because the unused ones are pushed out to swap space.

BUT... All of the background process' are controlled by upstart. You may simply go root and 'stop <service_name>' the unneeded ones. It should be easy to write a script to stop non-critical services at once, and a second one that relaunches them (or reboots the phone).

Posts: 94 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Germany
Common sense.
I agree with you but I just wanted that you cleat this up for people like SavageD who think that the background processes use 90% of the CPU (exaggerated).
And I think it worked