Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
I have 25 megs free of internal flash memory.

128 megs of virtual memory enabled.

My device runs so chunky.

Nothing really works right.

It chunks up sometimes a minute or two at a time.

Half the time, apps like DialCentral orTear keep saying that they are not responding.

I've tried to reduce the virtual memory or even get rid of it but I always get an error.

I think I was messing around with my memory card on my computer one day.

I enabled hidden files or folders or whatever and started delete all sorts of junk.

Any suggestions please?

I'll try anything.

I'm using latest Diablo without the Community SSU.

The Following User Says Thank You to jstokes For This Useful Post:
Posts: 22 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Telford, UK
Make a usr/share directory on mmc2

download emelfm2

use it as root

on the LH pane, browse to usr/share on the system memory. On the RH pane, browse to usr/share on mmc2

Move the folders over from programmes you have downloaded, ie move 'opera' from /usr/share to mmc2/user share

now link the file using emelfm2

the link on the system memory will only be a few bytes and the bulk of the information will now be stored on the memory card.

I will warn you, this is not to be done, if you don't understand using root, and only move files that you have installed. DO NOT move any of the original system files. I've done this a few times, and had lots of fun reflashing! Thanks to Kroll for suggesting this, you can see his original post in this thread, well worth reading
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...303#post152303

Oh, and definitely think about Diablo Turbo, well worth it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stevieg For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Addison View Post
128 megs of virtual memory enabled.

My device runs so chunky.

Nothing really works right.
Sounds like a corrupted filesystem on the card with the swap file. Try repairing it (dosfsck, or in a PC), removing the swap file and re-creating it on-device.

Afterwards go check out Diablo Turbo ;-)

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Thanks boys!

Yeah, I seriously need to do something. It's become unbearable.

I'm pretty sure it all happened two months ago when I deleted some invisible files from my memory card on my computer.

Reflashing hasn't made it any better since then.

I'll work on it tonight.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Good luck! I, for one, am looking forward to the outcome. Let us know!

The Following User Says Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Thanks boys!

You know, I'm still clueless to why the sudden change in behavior.

Like every 45 seconds or so, my tablet completely chunks up, does it's little burpies, and then it's running back to normal again for another 45 seconds.

I can't even use Xmms anymore since it can't play a single song the whole way through.

It's gotta be swap memory weirdness, low virtual memory (30 megs), QT version of Dial Central (I'm back to using GTK version and it's much better now), the new alarm.py file or whatever for DC, or something else I'm not seeing.

This behavior still occurs whether I reboot or perform killall kill hildon-desktop...

Something is running or leaking that I'm not aware of.

Well, poops.

I think I'm going to reflash yet again. Install as little as possible, grab the Community SSU, Diablo Turbo, try to have at least 40 megs left in virtual memory, and see where that gets me.

I'm seriously going to miss junk like Kchmviewer, Dosbox, etc. but my tablet has been such a turd lately.

If it's just my tablet pooping on me, at least I have a brand new back up one that I've been waiting to break open.

Just in case, did you check the SD card for errors yet?

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 42 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Fairport, NY, USA
Diablo Turbo may help. I also run a dedicated partition on my removable SD for swap -- it avoids the filesystem overhead.

The other advantage of running swap on a removable device is I don't mind abusing the flash as I can always replace it, therefore I tweak some settings. Don't do these if you are using internal flash for swap!

Code:
sysctl -w vm.swappiness=25
sysctl -w vm.min_free_kbytes=1024
swapon /dev/mmcblk1p2
swapoff /media/mmc2/.swap
- John

The Following User Says Thank You to jwernerny For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
You should check the sd cards first.
Then disable all desktop applets. Reenable one by one, testing for a while in between. One of them may leak causing hildon-desktop to grow.
Monitor each process memory usage in a xterm with top, or better with procps's top, or use the panel applet, see what's growing.
Also, check the usage of the swap devices with 'cat /proc/swaps', DT has a ramzswap device of 96M, which should be enough for most usage saving the swap file for the most extreme cases. I usually don't go over 60 MB of swap usage.
Deleting unrelated programs won't help you.

The Following User Says Thank You to maacruz For This Useful Post: