Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Yes, you are free to port Ubuntu, FreeBSD, Android, Solaris, Haiku, or whatever to Nokia N900. The bootloader can execute a payload from a different partition. I don't see why that'd be different from Nokia N810 for which alternative OS are available, such as Easy Debian, Android, Mer, ... I think Mer folks continue to develop on Mer while OTOH I do not expect many people interested in alternative firmware before the stock one is deemed to be limiting factor. So, right now, you can expect people fiddling with the Maemo 5 OS. Its what comes standard with device.

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by korbé View Post
Because Maemo 5 contains too many proprietary software.

I know that porting of MER in N900 contain proprietary drivers, but will always be better than Maemo 5.

And because if it exist a port of MER in N900, this is possible to make other FLOSS OS for N900. And diversity is always good.
Just FYI, it's Mer not MER

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to meizirkki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 206 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Yes, you are free to port Ubuntu, FreeBSD, Android, Solaris, Haiku, or whatever to Nokia N900. The bootloader can execute a payload from a different partition. I don't see why that'd be different from Nokia N810 for which alternative OS are available, such as Easy Debian, Android, Mer, ... I think Mer folks continue to develop on Mer while OTOH I do not expect many people interested in alternative firmware before the stock one is deemed to be limiting factor. So, right now, you can expect people fiddling with the Maemo 5 OS. Its what comes standard with device.
Thank you.
And for the use kernel modules and binary blob proprietary (unfortunately required for some hardware ...), what are restrictions?

i would love to put gentoo on the n900 but will need to investigate whats locked down etc, an os that compiles the binaries from source is perfect for arm hardware and you can cross compile pretty fast on modern hardware.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
Mer was/is designed to bring Maemo 5 functionality to the N800/N810 devices since by hardware specs they can't run Maemo 5. It doesn't make sense to have Mer for the N900.
Mer was designed to be Maemo rebuilt in a better, more open way. It was started before Nokia told anyone Maemo 5 wouldn't be released for the Internet Tablets. The fact that Mer is bringing Fremantle technologies to the 770, N800, and N810 is simply a side effect of Mer:
  • tracking Maemo's development
  • prioritizing running on as wide a range of hardware as is feasible
This means (and Mer developers have already stated) that:
  • Mer will be made to run on the N900
  • as Harmattan SDKs appear, Mer development will incorporate their changes

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
For those wondering:

Yes, N900 can multiboot into other OS'es

(disclaimer: this needs a patch to /sbin/preinit. Patch will be in bootmenu package or upstream when final SW is done. USB networking doesn't work yet.)

Mer runs fine. Same bootmenu system as on 770, N800, N810. And yes, Mer will have a N900 port. You can probably even clone Fremantle to SD if you so wanted.

Way to multiboot will be having keyboard out when booting and using cursor buttons to navigate.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Last edited by Stskeeps; 2009-10-12 at 13:09.

The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Thanks. What do you mean by "USB networking doesn't work yet"? Is that anything to do with USB host mode?

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Yes, you are free to port Ubuntu, FreeBSD, Android, Solaris, Haiku, or whatever to Nokia N900.
Ahh yes! Windows mobile?

I keed, i keed

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by Phen0m View Post
Ahh yes! Windows mobile?
Yes. Even Microsoft will let you a 60day evaluation for trying to do so.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
Thanks. What do you mean by "USB networking doesn't work yet"? Is that anything to do with USB host mode?
No, able to boot into a sorts of rescue mode where the device acts as a USB ethernet and you can telnet in and get a shell.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:

Tags
alternative os, android, bootloader, diversity on n900?, kexec, linux, more freedom?, n900, operating system