Is it theoretically possible to flash Windows Mobile 5.0 onto a 770? Even assuming it were possible, would it be possible to run it on the 770's hardware. I love the 770 form factor and screen, but am not enjoying the o/s and software.

The 770 hardware with WM 5.0 would be interesting to me. That is what Oragami should be!

Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
Origami is a mobile XP platform. WinMo5 doesn't have such a grand application base. The hardware alone on the 770 should hold WinMo5 but would require a wholly different firmware base. However Microsoft requires the actual hardware developers take on initiative to make it Windows Mobile compliant. Will Nokia do that? Will the application base for Windows Mobile 5 support the 770's resolution? Nope.

Simple answer:
Theoretically possible.
Practically impossible.
Not enough market to support the cost of Windows licenses and development.

The three hour battery life on Origami will be a serious, maybe even fatal limitation. Those who want truly portable tablets won't put up with that, especially at prices around $1000.

If the Nokia has PIM apps. developed for it, and increases core memory, it will at the very least co-exist with Origami. The 770 has a HUGE ace in it's pocket - open source Linux.

Originally Posted by dandrewk
The 770 has a HUGE ace in it's pocket - open source Linux.
Yes, I agree. The best part about the 770 IS the Open Source Linux. The expandability and future prospects are just exciting. Although, I've played around with Linux before, I've only just started learning the commands and other aspects of it.

Originally Posted by Mark S
Is it theoretically possible to flash Windows Mobile 5.0 onto a 770? Even assuming it were possible, would it be possible to run it on the 770's hardware. I love the 770 form factor and screen, but am not enjoying the o/s and software.

The 770 hardware with WM 5.0 would be interesting to me. That is what Oragami should be!
That's just sick! It's a Linux machine. Surely you should be asking can we run a Beowulf cluster on it

The only reason I got 770 was because of the OS, the built in communications means, and the price. Who would want a memory wasting chunky system running a microsoft product, ew. Not to mention the price.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Mark S

I do so hope it turns out not to be possible. In any case, where would you get a legally installable copy of Wince?

As time goes on, I am sure we will see other ROM images we can flash onto our 770. There is already a experimental GPE image available, and probably will be an OPIE image soon. I would be interested in getting a Oragami just so I can put Linux on it .

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by troubleshootr
As time goes on, I am sure we will see other ROM images we can flash onto our 770. There is already a experimental GPE image available, and probably will be an OPIE image soon. I would be interested in getting a Oragami just so I can put Linux on it .
Nothing against that. It's the other way round that's vile.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
mschoen: About a year ago I'd decided I wanted a linux based handheld that could connect via 802.11g and wouldn't cost the same as a laptop. Every other handheld OS made me shudder when I'd try them out in stores. Too PDA-ish. About a month or two later I stumbled upon the 770, it was as if someone was reading my mind. I love this thing. The stability that should be wrought by the 2006 edition should wrap it up nicely. I can't wait.