Notices

Posts: 566 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Lower Saxony
@pataphysician
Read my above post. There is a fully licensed free arm-linux java jre available from oracle now. And Microemulator3 provides the midlet environment. In version 3 now even in (almost) fullscreen.
I can run Opera Mini or a bazillion Java ME midlets on it.

Last edited by casketizer; 2011-03-08 at 20:30.

Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
if you go to mobilestore.opera.com and click "choose device now", then "nokia", the list sais "N900 (Android)".

Originally Posted by msa View Post
if you go to mobilestore.opera.com and click "choose device now", then "nokia", the list sais "N900 (Android)".
LOL, maybe they played with NITdroid at opera...
Last I checked all N900 apps there are java midlets. Most of them are useless coz there is better stuff in the repos.
Opera Mini 5 is useful when you are on very slow and expensive data connection ie roaming abroad etc.

Posts: 579 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Austria
Originally Posted by casketizer View Post
You can run java midlets inc Opera Mini 5 with Microemulator 3 and the new java jre for arm-linux from oracle. Both are not in the repos but can be easily found. Microemu2+icedtea from the repos are vastly outdated and less compatible/capable.
I use it for local transport timetable app.
Sounds interesting. Could you provide some pointers and/or instructions for the helpless?

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
Originally Posted by casketizer View Post
Opera Mini 5 is useful when you are on very slow and expensive data connection ie roaming abroad etc.
Why not just use Opera Mobile and enable the "Opera Turbo" mode, that makes Opera Mobile operate the same way as Opera Mini does (using Opera's servers to process and compress the web pages first before sending them on to the browser).

Originally Posted by retsaw View Post
Why not just use Opera Mobile and enable the "Opera Turbo" mode, that makes Opera Mobile operate the same way as Opera Mini does (using Opera's servers to process and compress the web pages first before sending them on to the browser).
Mobile does not have the additional image compression options of the Mini Version. It can make a huge difference.

The Following User Says Thank You to casketizer For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rebhana View Post
Sounds interesting. Could you provide some pointers and/or instructions for the helpless?
All the info you need can be found here on TMO. That is where I found it too. Just search for microemulator 3. Also the jdownloader thread has good info where to find and how to install oracles jre.