Active Topics

This comes from an idea I posted over at my-symbian on the evolution of Maps on the Communicator. Given the open-source nature of Maemo, it may spark some developer interest here.

When you schedule an appointment, you should get a location field with the option to select either a Maps favourite or address from Contacts; if there's more than one address for the contact you should get prompted home/business/whatever address. When setting the alarm for the appointment, you would be asked if you want directions (driving or walking) to the location; if yes, Maps fires up automagically at the alarm time and off you go. If it were really swish it would work out where you are, how long you need to get to your appointment's location, add a suitable (user-defined) factor of safety and prompt you at the point you need to get going. All of the information is already on the device, but it's not very joined up.

Moderator edit: http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...r_integration/ (Brainstorm url)

Last edited by Texrat; 2009-12-10 at 06:34. Reason: add Brainstorm url

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TomJ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Sounds like this is *basically* covered by https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2962 ? Feel free to vote for that report.
For broader ideas also feel free to post a problem in http://maemo.org/community/brainstorm/ and provide the solutions that you have in mind.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
The bug seems to be part of what I'm suggesting, so I've posted to Brainstorm here. I hope it's not too presumptious to do that on my first day on the forum...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TomJ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Cool! Thanks for your contribution.

Is it possible to change the title of a thread to add Brainstorm: now that this has moved from the sandbox to Under consideration?

Want to improve the location bar's search capabilities? there's a wiki page for that too...

Last edited by TomJ; 2009-10-19 at 17:29.

The Following User Says Thank You to TomJ For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
Is it possible to change the title of a thread to add Brainstorm: now that this has moved from the sandbox to Under consideration?
Title changed.

The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
I love John's new suggestion on this one; it's exactly the level of integration I was thinking of.

Want to improve the location bar's search capabilities? there's a wiki page for that too...

Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
I love John's new suggestion on this one; it's exactly the level of integration I was thinking of.
Thanks, I don't know how practical it is, but my to-do list needs to be smarter.

If I am am near the post office I need my to-do list know were I am, and then trigger an alarm that tells me "Hey get some stamps."

This way I can turn off my brain.

Originally Posted by jandmdickerson View Post
Thanks, I don't know how practical it is, but my to-do list needs to be smarter.

If I am am near the post office I need my to-do list know were I am, and then trigger an alarm that tells me "Hey get some stamps."

This way I can turn off my brain.
It seems to me there's 2 issues there: one to remind you when you're near a specific place or even, SoLo type frameworks permitting, person and one to remind you when you're near a class of PoI; eg post office, supermarket, cashpoint, bank...

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
This is the discussion thread of the Brainstorm proposal Maps/Contacts/Calendar Integration

Note that this proposal came after contacts integration in calendar and they are quite overlapping.