Hi Everyone,

I am planning to buy an N9 (black or white) from the US, but I need European warranty. Does anyone have experience with Nokia warranty claims for devices bought abroad/overseas?

If I understand correctly, for European warranty the product code of the device must be European and also the device's IMEI code has to be registered in Nokia's system (there are warranty checkers on the European Nokia sites for that, e.g. at Nokia UK). Do you know whether this is sufficient or do they really ask for some warranty certificate or sales receipt from an authorized reseller?

Also, people who bought their N9 from the US, could you tell me which variants/product codes are sold mostly by the US online shops (e.g. Welectronics, CTINYC, ATGSM, NegriElectronics, etc.)?

The product code can only be found on the SIM tray and it is not stated on the box somewhere, right?

Thank you!

Originally Posted by emev View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am planning to buy an N9 (black or white) from the US, but I need European warranty. Does anyone have experience with Nokia warranty claims for devices bought abroad/overseas?

Thank you!
USA does not have Nokia N9. They will have to import it from other region. So it will be up to the vendor how they import it. If you are lucky, they will import it from Europe otherwise it could be from Asia.

I live in Alabama and I have the 64gb N9

Words of warning. I bought my N9 on ebay and the seller was in washington so i bought it. It then got shipped from china ( so be sure to ask ahead of time where its coming from ) So when I got the phone it didnt have Facebook or Twitter on it. After a few back and forth arguments and the seller basically telling me I was an idiot for saying such blatant lies... and I can guarantee I wasnt lying. I just said F*ck it and kept the phone. Now Ive finally been able to reflash my phone with european firmware... though if you are half as stupid as me when it comes to programming and all that, then i do NOT recommend that. Just be careful with the purchase and ask before hand. Having the phone- and working in T-Mobile USA I cant begin to describe how many envious customers I have of my phone and I LOVE IT !

P.S. the sellers store name was : all_electronic_store. Im not saying avoid them, just be sure to have a clarifying discussion beforehand. My phone was shipped from china and is apparently malaysian modeled

good luck and enjoy the phone.

Thanks for the replies!

@tirtawn:
Yes, I know that. That is why I would like to find out where the devices, sold by some of the more well-known US unlocked GSM shops, are coming from. I know that even in one shop the origin can vary, but it would be good to hear what other people buying from the mentioned US shops got.

@lastmilefire:
Thanks for the warning. I want to avoid eBay (and even Amazon) and buy from Welectronics, CTINYC, ATGSM or NegriElectronics. Those are the better shops I've heard of.
My only concern is that I will be going back to Europe and I need warranty there. I want to find out if that's possible, that's why I opened this thread.

My only concern is that I will be going back to Europe and I need warranty there. I want to find out if that's possible, that's why I opened this thread.[/QUOTE]

My warranty is through nokia china ... or so the seller tells me. So I'm pretty sure the warranty is in the country of origin. Or at least where it is officially carried.

Yes, that's the Nokia warranty policy: the country/region in which the device was planned to be sold (revealed by product code) is the country/region where you have warranty.
That is why I'm trying to find a shop here in the USA, which sells European N9s (i.e. with European product code). But even if I do find one, I'm not quite sure that Nokia Europe would honor the warranty if I don't have a valid European sales receipt or warranty certificate.
So, if anyone has any experience or information about this, please let me know.

Yes, that's the Nokia warranty policy: the country/region in which the device was planned to be sold (revealed by product code) is the country/region where you have warranty.
That is why I'm trying to find a shop here in the USA, which sells European N9s (i.e. with European product code). But even if I do find one, I'm not quite sure that Nokia Europe would honor the warranty if I don't have a valid European sales receipt or warranty certificate.
So, if anyone has any experience or information about this, please let me know.
uhmm, maybe i don't get it, but why don't buy directly in europe? Plenty of stores with european prod codes.
bought mine 64gb here, austrian prod code:
http://www.cyberport.de/?token=b04e3...lterkategorie=

cheers,
no_nuke

Thanks for the reply!

Two reasons:
1) I won't be in Europe until this fall (N9 will probably not be available anymore by then) and shipping the phone from Europe to the US is expensive and problematic, due to customs, etc.
2) Most EU shops are more expensive than the US shops.

So if price was not a factor, I would ask someone to buy it directly from Nokia and send it to me to the US (or I could also fly back for a weekend ), but this way I would end up paying $800+ for the N9, which I could get here for around $500 or even less.

Posts: 62 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Portugal - Angola - Congo RD - United States
Thanks for the reply!

Two reasons:
1) I won't be in Europe until this fall (N9 will probably not be available anymore by then) and shipping the phone from Europe to the US is expensive and problematic, due to customs, etc.
2) Most EU shops are more expensive than the US shops.

So if price was not a factor, I would ask someone to buy it directly from Nokia and send it to me to the US (or I could also fly back for a weekend ), but this way I would end up paying $800+ for the N9, which I could get here for around $500 or even less.
Check with CTINYC.COM
they will answer all that to you, plus I believe their phones comes from UK (made in Finland) + NOKIA SEAL

That would be great, thanks! Based on their website and some customer reviews, I also preferred CTINYC.

I'll post an update if I find out something specific regarding the warranty.