Notices

Community Council | Posts: 664 | Thanked: 1,648 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Hamburg
Originally Posted by mr id View Post
Download and copy to /home/user then
Code:
chmod +x vlcremoteqml; ./vlcremoteqml
This is what I've received:
Code:
/home/user # chmod +x vlcremoteqml; ./vlcremoteqml

chmod: vlcremoteqml: Operation not permitted

sh: ./vlcremoteqml: Permission denied

/home/user #
Would love to try this, but I'm no dev, sorry. So please excuse my limited coding-knowledge and advise how to do it properly.
Thanks in advance.
Current Maemo Community Council member

The Following User Says Thank You to Win7Mac For This Useful Post:
Posts: 237 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Brighton, UK
Originally Posted by Win7Mac View Post
This is what I've received:
Code:
/home/user # chmod +x vlcremoteqml; ./vlcremoteqml

chmod: vlcremoteqml: Operation not permitted

sh: ./vlcremoteqml: Permission denied

/home/user #
Would love to try this, but I'm no dev, sorry. So please excuse my limited coding-knowledge and advise how to do it properly.
Thanks in advance.
Judging by the # at the terminal prompt you are executing this as root?

'exit' down to $ prompt and try that again.

Also, can I confirm you've got the original package installed first? as this is just a test build of the binary part (not the resources etc).

cheers

The Following User Says Thank You to mr id For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 664 | Thanked: 1,648 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Hamburg
can I confirm you've got the original package installed first?
Yes, 0.1.3 is installed and yes, I did this as root. Is there a general rule when to do such things as root or not?

'exit' down to $ prompt and try that again
Here's what I got:
Code:
~ $ chmod +x vlcremoteqml; ./vlcremoteqml

'import com.meego' is DEPRECATED and may cause 'Error: Cannot assign QObject* to PageStack_QMLTYPE_42*', missing icons, widgets and other problems;use 'import com.nokia.meego' instead

Successfully resolved MeeGo graphics system: /usr/lib/qt4/plugins/graphicssystems/libqmeegographicssystem.so

Found SGX/MBX driver, enabling FullClearOnEveryFrame

Found v1.4 driver, enabling brokenTexSubImage

MeegoGraphics: found EGL_NOK_image_shared

MeegoGraphics: found EGL_KHR_lock_surface2

MeegoGraphics: found EGL_KHR_fence_sync

qrc:/qml/PlayerPage.qml:224:9: QML NowPlayingDetails: Possible anchor loop detected on fill.

qrc:/qml/PlayerPage.qml:224:9: QML NowPlayingDetails: Possible anchor loop detected on fill.

qrc:/qml/PlayerPage.qml:176:5: QML Column: Cannot specify top, bottom, verticalCenter, fill or centerIn anchors for items inside Column

qrc:/qml/PlayerPage.qml:97:9: QML Column: Cannot specify top, bottom, verticalCenter, fill or centerIn anchors for items inside Column

file:///usr/lib/qt4/imports/com/meego/Button.qml:92:5: QML Image: Cannot open: file:///usr/share/themes/blanco/meegotouch/icons/icon-m-toolbar-done-dimmed-white.png

No valid handle to create pixmap from received.

file:///usr/lib/qt4/imports/com/meego/Button.qml:76:5: QML BorderImage: Failed to get image from provider: image://theme/meegotouch-tablandscape-bottom-background

file:///usr/lib/qt4/imports/com/meego/Button.qml:76:5: QML BorderImage: Failed to get image from provider: image://theme/meegotouch-tablandscape-bottom-background

file:///usr/lib/qt4/imports/com/meego/Button.qml:76:5: QML BorderImage: Failed to get image from provider: image://theme/meegotouch-tabportrait-bottom-background

file:///usr/lib/qt4/imports/com/meego/Button.qml:76:5: QML BorderImage: Failed to get image from provider: image://theme/meegotouch-tabportrait-bottom-background

file:///usr/lib/qt4/imports/com/meego/Button.qml:76:5: QML BorderImage: Failed to get image from provider: image://theme/meegotouch-tabportrait-bottom-background-horizontal-left

file:///usr/lib/qt4/imports/com/meego/Button.qml:76:5: QML BorderImage: Failed to get image from provider: image://theme/meegotouch-tabportrait-bottom-background-horizontal-left

Packet::ErrorPacket: "requested pixmap 'meegotouch-tabportrait-bottom-background' QSize(0, 0) already acquired by client"

Packet::ErrorPacket: "requested pixmap 'meegotouch-tabportrait-bottom-background-horizontal-left' QSize(0, 0) already acquired by client"

file:///usr/lib/qt4/imports/com/meego/Button.qml:76:5: QML BorderImage: Failed to get image from provider: image://theme/meegotouch-tabportrait-bottom-inverted-background-horizontal-left

file:///usr/lib/qt4/imports/com/meego/Button.qml:76:5: QML BorderImage: Failed to get image from provider: image://theme/meegotouch-tabportrait-bottom-inverted-background-horizontal-left

qrc:/qml/FavouritesPage.qml:220: TypeError: Result of expression 'listModel.get(listView.currentIndex)' [undefined] is not an object.

X Error: BadDamage (invalid Damage parameter) 1

Extension: 146 (Uknown extension)

Minor opcode: 2 (Unknown request)

Resource id: 0x29

hijackWindow() context created for QDeclarative

Found SGX/MBX driver, enabling FullClearOnEvery

Found v1.4 driver, enabling brokenTexSubImage

QGLWindowSurface: Using plain widget as window

Found EGL_KHR_image_pixmap & GL_OES_EGL_image e

Found texture_from_pixmap EGL extension!

homeDir: /

ERROR: TypeError: Result of expression 'MediaRetesPage.serverName).item(0)' [undefined] is not

QNetworkReplyImpl::_q_startOperation was called

Meego graphics system destroyed

~ $
This doesn't sound too good, right?
VLCremote opened up by itself directly after prompting.

But still
- progressbar in "Now playing" shows actuall minutes, but not the bar itself
- filebrowser still shows nothing (137GB, 23.426 files in 1.800 sub-directories on my Win7/64bit running VLC 2.0.1) - too large?

Device still works so far, did not reboot or do any further testing.

Yes, 0.1.3 is installed and yes, I did this as root. Is there a general rule when to do such things as root or not?
Perform actions as user whenever you can. In this case you wanted yourself to be able to execute a file in your home directory - not root to be able to do so.

Root allows you to mess with the system.

Here's what I got:
Code:
~ $ chmod +x vlcremoteqml; ./vlcremoteqml

'import com.meego' is DEPRECATED and may cause 'Error: Cannot assign QObject* to PageStack_QMLTYPE_42*', missing icons, widgets and other problems;use 'import com.nokia.meego' instead

-- snipped --

~ $
This doesn't sound too good, right?
You can ignore all of that for now - isn't anything major. I should probably fix the meego / nokia.meego message.

VLCremote opened up by itself directly after prompting.

But still
- progressbar in "Now playing" shows actuall minutes, but not the bar itself
- filebrowser still shows nothing (137GB, 23.426 files in 1.800 sub-directories on my Win7/64bit running VLC 2.0.1) - too large?

Device still works so far, did not reboot or do any further testing.
Shouldn't have any impact on the overall phone at all. All you did was run a newer version of the same application (which does very little from a system perspective anyway).

Do you want to try setting up a new 'remote' for your machine - same ip and settings just a new Name for it and use that. It may be that some old preferences are causing an issue with file browsing.

Also, try clicking the banner File Browser with the heart in it. This should take you to your root (/) directory. do you see any files and directories listed?

Unfortunately, vlc no longer interprets ~/ as the users home directory and returns nothing at all. Clicking the banner on a new profile should give you the contents of /

If your music is organised by directory (rather than all files in one directory) the size of library shouldn't pose any problems. Your library sounds of a similar size to mine.

I'm now seeing the same behaviour of the progress bar - will look at that tonight.

lmk if this helps at all.

The Following User Says Thank You to mr id For This Useful Post:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z6awjsmew5dv7c7/vlcremoteqml

download, copy to /home/user, chmod +x; ./vclremote as before.

Should fix the playing status bar issue.

cheers

You can ignore all of that for now - isn't anything major. I should probably fix the meego / nokia.meego message.
OK, but what about the very last output in terminal, stating:
Code:
Meego graphics system destroyed
I really don't want to read anything like this on my device, even if you pretend it's nothing major...

Also, try clicking the banner File Browser with the heart in it. This should take you to your root (/) directory. do you see any files and directories listed?
No, clicking the banner File Browser doesn't help.

Unfortunately, vlc no longer interprets ~/ as the users home directory and returns nothing at all. Clicking the banner on a new profile should give you the contents of /
Nope, didn't help either (on a new profile).

BUT the app-playlist seems to show my complete library now after the currently active playlist selected on PC (instead of showing it in File Browser).

FYI: VLC 2.0.1 actually has a bug showing each added item from the VLC-library (on PC) 11 TIMES in the playlist.
See this post: http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=101031
This bug seems to be carried forward to the phone.
So actually I have my library added 11 times to my playlist...

lmk if this helps at all.
What?

No, clicking the banner File Browser doesn't help.

Nope, didn't help either (on a new profile).
Assuming you are running vlc with defaults on your windows machine, can you try the following for me in a browser on that machine:

1)
http://127.0.0.1:8080/requests/browse.xml?dir=/
and paste the results.

2)
http://127.0.0.1:8080/requests/playlist.xml
Don't paste these results, I'm guessing this will be a huge amount of xml in your browser. But could you take a screenshot and post it?

I think what you are trying to tell me is that you have a large library within VLC not just on the filesystem? Sorry if I misunderstood that earlier.
This has always been a problem for remote clients because it creates a massive xml message (upwards of several MB) to parse on the phone.
If you are interested I can probably give you a fix to install on your PC to not output the 'Media Library' into the playlist that is consumed by the remote. (It doesn't involve removing your library on your PC)

cheers

can you try the following for me in a browser on that machine:
1) http://127.0.0.1:8080/requests/browse.xml?dir=/
and paste the results.

2) http://127.0.0.1:8080/requests/playlist.xml
Attached files as requested, "browse.jpg" is the complete xml.
Hope this helps. Thank you!

PS: Not running the fix for the playing status bar issue yet.
Attached Images

Attached files as requested, "browse.jpg" is the complete xml.
Hope this helps. Thank you!

PS: Not running the fix for the playing status bar issue yet.
Thanks, that's immensely helpful. VLC's new 'browser' interface has lost some compatibility across Windows and Linux servers unfortunately! Whereas "~/" used to work consistently on both and now throws an error everywhere, "/" works for root on Unix style systems and gives garbage on Windows and "" (blank) works for root on Win but errors on Linux. This probably means that the client now needs to know what system the server is running on. I'll have to look at fixes.

For the huge playlist issue I can give you a patched file for your windows machine that will suppress returning the media library whilst still returning the real playlist. It's a simple fix to edit :

C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\http\requests\playlist.xml

Old version, lines 68 - 83
Code:
printitem = function(item)
	local children=NULL

if item.type=="node" then
		children=printnode(item)
		if (children) then
			for i,v in ipairs(children) do
				printitem(v)
			end
		end
		print ("</node>")
	else
		printleaf(item)
	end
end
New version (attached in zip file)
Code:
printitem = function(item)
	local children=NULL

if item.type=="node" then
	       if item.id=="3" then
                        -- no op
	       else
                       children=printnode(item)
                       if (children) then
                              for i,v in ipairs(children) do
                                       printitem(v)
                              end
                       end
                       print ("</node>")
                end
	else
		printleaf(item)
	end
end
Make a backup of the old version just in case of course...

I'll see how quickly I can work around the browsing issue.

Thanks again.
Attached Files
File Type: zip playlist.zip (1.1 KB, 136 views)

I've quickly added setting to the settings dialog to select the 'Browser root directory'.

try setting that to '"" (VLC 2.x WIN)' and then connecting to your VLC instance from the app and browsing.

Do you now see your filesystem and can navigate it?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z6awjsmew5dv7c7/vlcremoteqml