Active Topics

Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
This ties into my concern that Nokia is saying, "Computer first, phone last".

Besides the most of the people on this site and a few other tech havens, almost everyone who wants the N900 to be their next phone is assuming "Phone first, computer last" and all the juicy internet and media in the middle.
Well, personally I love the computer first approach. The only reason the N900 should have a phone is because I don't want to carry an additional device around and because I don't want Voip calls to be different from normal calls. This computer first approach is really what sets the N900 apart from all those 'smart' phones where everything else was added as an afterthought.

But you could well be right, there may be a lot of people out there who feel differently about that.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AVee For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Originally Posted by AVee View Post
Well, personally I love the computer first approach. The only reason the N900 should have a phone is because I don't want to carry an additional device around and because I don't want Voip calls to be different from normal calls. This computer first approach is really what sets the N900 apart from all those 'smart' phones where everything else was added as an afterthought.

But you could well be right, there may be a lot of people out there who feel differently about that.
I like it too. The thing is a lot of people are already buying phones with 2yr contract in US, selling them and waiting for the N900, or selling their current phones to get this. Seem to notice a flood of new TP2's on eBay

People get that the N900 is special, but they are (IMO, understandably) assuming that since the N900 is a Nokia "phone", it has the same functions as a Nokia phone PLUS all the good stuff.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I see you Milhouse!

I know what you're thinking!!!

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post

Do you think it will be possible to add Google voice search, or is that a proprietary app to Android?
Google Voice Search works also on Blackberries and iPhones, not just Android. My guess is that porting it to Maemo would be Google's decision.

(Heck, I wish they would have -- or still will -- port Google Voice Search to Diablo.)

Last edited by GeraldKo; 2009-10-28 at 00:59.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
Google Voice Search works also on Blackberries and iPhones, not just Android. My guess is that porting it to Maemo would be Google's decision.

(Heck, I wish they would have -- or still will -- port Google Voice Search to Diablo.)
The other phone stuff will come, but Google voice search for browser and portrait mode will be delicious icing on an already delicious cake

Posts: 127 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Aspen Colorado
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
For instance, on the N900, all calling history is shown in a single long list, with status (sent, missed, etc) distinguished solely by icons.

I don't like it.

If you have a lengthy call history, you'll need to scroll down a bit to find that one call you missed. From what I gathered at the Maemo Summit 2009, this was a conscious design decision.
Don't get a Blackberry. Not only is the call log just a flat list, but so is the email, including sent items mixed in with the received. I'm used to it, but I miss a lot of the functionality I get with Outlook, like sorting incoming mail based on rules (which makes them not hit my inbox and therefore never make it to the BB).

For personal use, I only make a call or two a week, so the phone function is about the lowest priority for me (the highest being downloading podcasts and RSS feeds).

The Following User Says Thank You to Eric G For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
So hang on, there's no splash screen to tell me if I've missed a call? Every single time I put the n900 down I have to check in a menu to see if a call might have been missed? That's indescribably inconvenient!

So what happens if a caller leaves a message on my provider's answering service? Is there an onscreen icon? Or do I have to call up a couple of times a day just in case?

iRRead this bit right before coming to bed. I'd assumed these were among the 'very basic' phone functions I could take for granted... Now I'm awake at 3am worrying whether I should cancel!

I'm sure if there were any issues as annoying as this, they would get resolved fairly sharpish.

Go to bed... you have time to decide

Last edited by Spudboy; 2009-10-28 at 03:17.

Posts: 262 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Scotland
RevdKathy

Now I'm awake at 3am worrying whether I should cancel!

Yikes.. this is going to another level...I'm up at 3am too!!! (ok so i'm working nightshift)

I'm concerned also but surely these missing notifications etc will be rectified within weeks of the device being released. Or am i being naive?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
So hang on, there's no splash screen to tell me if I've missed a call? Every single time I put the n900 down I have to check in a menu to see if a call might have been missed? That's indescribably inconvenient!
The dashboard indicates missed calls rather clearly. So, tap one button (or hit one keyboard shortcut) and you can see missed calls.

Either that, or, this being Maemo, wait for somebody to implement a widget to do this (reasonably trivial). I'm bothering fiferboy to do it as we speak.

This is the thing about Maemo, if it's not there out of the box, it's almost always a trivial task for somebody to implement it, so canceling over something as minor as this would be . . . silly.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:

Tags
phone, usability, user interface