Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 78 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Melbourne
Hi Guys,

I'm really new here, and i'm also excited about the N900, since i was going to buy N97 and all of the issues stop me to getting one.

I never use any Nokia internet Tablet before, nor Maemo OS, but i know my Nokia N95 is still running good after 2 Years and nokia is not yet to disappoint me on their mobile device that i brought.

So, i was browsing the site and looking for available application for Fremantle or OS2009 i suppose? but i cannot find one on the download tab.

So is there any, ATM application for maemo 5 OS?

or i can use any application from the old Maemo OS?

Is it true that the final Maemo 5 OS version is not yet to be released? (will be released with N900)

Is there any other Websites i can go to look for the application?
(there is a lot of application available online in symbian)

is there any application store? or like official application website like OVI and apple store?

i'm sorry if my questions sounds silly but ireally want to know what kind of application i will have or be able to access when i got the phone.

thanks =)

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by BaKSo View Post
Hi Guys,

I'm really new here, and i'm also excited about the N900, since i was going to buy N97 and all of the issues stop me to getting one.

I never use any Nokia internet Tablet before, nor Maemo OS, but i know my Nokia N95 is still running good after 2 Years and nokia is not yet to disappoint me on their mobile device that i brought.

So, i was browsing the site and looking for available application for Fremantle or OS2009 i suppose? but i cannot find one on the download tab.

So is there any, ATM application for maemo 5 OS?

or i can use any application from the old Maemo OS?

Is it true that the final Maemo 5 OS version is not yet to be released? (will be released with N900)

Is there any other Websites i can go to look for the application?
(there is a lot of application available online in symbian)

is there any application store? or like official application website like OVI and apple store?

i'm sorry if my questions sounds silly but ireally want to know what kind of application i will have or be able to access when i got the phone.

thanks =)
It's just too early to answer most of your questions because we don't know ourselves. I don't know what an ATM application is. Applications from older Maemo versions will not work directly on the new device. Any Linux app that you can compile can be used on it if the dependencies are also satisfied. Ovi will probably host a lot of apps. The "Extras" repository will also host apps that have been approved by the community. Maemo Select will highlight the best apps from both as far as we know. No, Maemo 5 is not available yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
It's just too early to answer most of your questions because we don't know ourselves. I don't know what an ATM application is. Applications from older Maemo versions will not work directly on the new device. Any Linux app that you can compile can be used on it if the dependencies are also satisfied. Ovi will probably host a lot of apps. The "Extras" repository will also host apps that have been approved by the community. Maemo Select will highlight the best apps from both as far as we know. No, Maemo 5 is not available yet.
ATM : Is there any, (At The Moment) application for Maemo 5?
but you answer that already..

ok i understand now that it is to early to ask some of my question and i definitely don't know how to compile an application (not a tech person =( )

maybe after Nokia World or in the couple of weeks i will have some answer to my question

Thanks Jay =)

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by BaKSo View Post
ATM : Is there any, (At The Moment) application for Maemo 5?
but you answer that already..

ok i understand now that it is to early to ask some of my question and i definitely don't know how to compile an application (not a tech person =( )

maybe after Nokia World or in the couple of weeks i will have some answer to my question

Thanks Jay =)
Don't worry. There's already a lot of Maemo app developers working on porting their programs over to Fremantle, so a lot of the major apps from previous tablets will be ready from day one. Once Nokia World and Maemo Summit roll around, we should have a lot more info for you.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Don't worry. There's already a lot of Maemo app developers working on porting their programs over to Fremantle, so a lot of the major apps from previous tablets will be ready from day one. Once Nokia World and Maemo Summit roll around, we should have a lot more info for you.
Yes! I'll be waiting for this! Looking forward to N900 and Maemo 5!

Cheers =)

Posts: 84 | Thanked: 212 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Oulu, Finland
Applications from older Maemo versions will not work directly on the new device.
Actually, this is not quite true. Many older applications will work on the new device if just installed from the Diablo repository. For example, Mauku 0.x can be used in Fremantle too. However, some maemo specific libraries have been changed and also other libraries are updated or removed, which may render some applications incompatible.

It is totally different story if older applications are compatible with the Fremantle UI style (for example, support finger-size buttons and has proper usage of dialogs) . For example, Mauku 2.0 has been totally rewritten for Fremantle.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hhedberg For This Useful Post:
Will I be able to run the Java applications which all phones support nowadays?
Also what about applications meant for other distros of linux?

Originally Posted by Devarshi View Post
Will I be able to run the Java applications which all phones support nowadays?
Also what about applications meant for other distros of linux?
N900 does not have Java, though there may be alternatives such as Jalimo coming in the future.

Apps for other distros of Linux might work so long as they are compiled for the tablet's architechure, armel.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Is there any interest in getting, let's say, Palm OS emulation or (yikes!) WM emulation on the N900? Let me explain.

On another thread I bemoaned the lack of a top-notch PIM application on the N900 when Palm has several for many years. Then I learned that the Palm Pre had MotionApps Classic, an apparently excellent app for the Pre that allows use of legacy Palm apps. I asked whether Classic would be available for Android 2, and it seems that MotionApps is seriously looking into this.

Now, as a long-time Palm user, I'd find it tremendously helpful to be able to run Palm apps on Maemo 5 (until the functionality is available natively). My guess is that Maemo would run the emulator extremely efficiently. I mean, what else would one expect from Linux?

Before, I was thinking of Java as a temporary fix. But really, if the point is to be able to transfer functionality immediately, emulation seems more efficient.

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
There's Garnet VM for Maemo 4, which is a Palm emulator by Access (current owners of Palm OS). Hopefully they will port it to Maemo 5 too.