Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)
Here's some nicknames that i use for my tablet:

LittleT, Debbie, Z3577, b-machine, RoboTab, 8675309, G-force, N800, Tablet, Tabbie, N-I-T, Little-Deablo, PocketHacker, OMPTablet, MonoNerd, Armada, Gvuew, zercon

Those are all the names that i can think of that i sometimes call my tablet.
The most comon amung theas names are N800 and PocketHacker.

Z3577 mostly because that's the name of my favourite wifi connection, Armada mostly because i am a fan of C.H. Greenbaltt's cartoon art, 8675309 mostly because i allwase get a song stuck in my head called 8675309, PocketHacker because i use my tablet comonly for hacking. b-machine because it matches my user name, b-man. G-force because i can do just about any computer-related task on my tablet. MonoNerd, because it is a funny and unusual name, And OMPTablet because the tablets use OMPA prosessors.
My ports/creations/hacks: GNOME (for Deblet), Cdeb2», Ubuntu, playable flash games in the "Get Started" app, DBS, ect...

enhanced fedora port has been canceled in favor of NITDebian (TBA)

Originally Posted by thecubed View Post
Control Panel -> Bluetooth Settings (I think)

can't thank you enough!, it was so simple, i had to toggle bluetooth to "on" then change the host name....

i'm glad i saw this topic & asked, it's been a stickler for me for awhile, when i upgraded chinook & restored my backuo settings last year, the hostname followed, smh, & yet again, when i upgraded to diablo this weeknd, same difference, when i restored my back up....

i hated to make a post just to ask this, so this topic helped big tyme.

oh, the new name's "gn0me n my p0cket" lol

Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
.... kn810 and the previous nit kn800 .... and my phone k6500

Posts: 27 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Sioux Falls SD
Jezebel, cuz she gets around. If ya know what I mean ; )

Posts: 43 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Hill of Doom - Pacific NW
BlackHole

Free time just seems to disappear when it's around my tablet...

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Ontario, Canada
Name: Kraft.

Why? It was the name of the optronic computer owned by Axen Moon in the story of Outpost 2. Sort of his digital counterpart in the world, even though he only generally talked with it via link or directly [it was a big 1m cube box, not so portable].

Good lord; can't believe I remembered that. Still, great name. It's counterpart in Plymouth was... err... damn, so much for memory. I'll have to look it up now [sigh, yes, I still have the disk].

What's worse is that it totally bypasses the normal naming scheme for my computers, strange choice.

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Vienna, Austria
name: Truc

was so named by my (francophone) girlfriend, which had no clue how to define it (Le Truc = The Thing)

she says she's very proud to be the second in my life just after Le Truc

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Name: Navi

Quote (stolen from some page):

NAVI are the personal computers that people use in the world of serial experiments lain. They include both desktop and handheld models (HandyNAVI). NAVI computers are linked to the Wired.

Interpretation:
"NAVI" is most likely a contracted form of "Knowledge Navigator." John Sculley, the CEO of Apple from 1983 to 1993, described the Knowledge Navigator in his book titled Odyssey (1987). The Knowledge Navigator was his vision of Apple computers in the 21st Century. Accurately predicting many of the changes eventually brought about by the World Wide Web, the hypothetical Knowledge Navigator would allow people to communicate with each other from anywhere in the world, would be connected to a vast shared hypertextual (Sculley cites Ted Nelson in reference to hypertext) database of information (like the Web or the Wired), and would also utilize intelligent agents or artificial intelligences to actively search out information of interest.

The Knowledge Navigator Sculley envisioned in 1987 would be suited for multimedia applications, utilizing large, high-definition, flat-display screens to support text, full-color, graphics, and computer generated animations. It would also feature high-fidelity sound, speech synthesis, and speech recognition. Sculley emphasized that the Knowledge Navigator would not need to take any specific form; it could be a desktop computer, a handheld, or even built into one's clothing.

Eventually, Sculley would implement some of his Knowledge Navigator ideas into the Newton, Apple's more-or-less unsuccessful PDA (personal digital assistant). The Knowledge Navigator concept was promoted in a video called "The Knowledge Navigator: Technologies to Get Us There and Beyond" as well as a shorter commercial for general consumption.

John Sculley's vision of the Knowledge Navigator, even if not fully realized, was important for the technologies it inspired as well as predicting the change of the personal computer's role as a productivity tool to one which is used to mediate information exchange and transfer.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 542 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ 52 N, 6 E
pocketpenguin is the network name as it is a Penguin (Linux box) in your pocket.

The tablet has got the name "padlog", while the phone is named "comlog" after the fictional all-in-one device from The Hyperion Cantos.

Tags
device, hostname