Notices

very nice app, and under 30dB? Well, I just tried this in a sound recording booth and it essentially flatlines at 30 or so. That room is for all intents and purposes silent.

Nice app.

Bret

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I have been tinkering with VU meter and produced something to share with you. Please be gentle on me, this was my first ever Maemo app and a learning project to get more familiar with both PulseAudio and Qt, so there may be bugs. I have yet to learn how to package it into a nice .deb and more still about how the garage works so I could make it available through the repos. In the meantime, you will have to install the Wonko's original VU meter and then overwrite the binary in /opt/maemo/urs/bin/vumeter with the unpacked contents of the attached .zip. Fremantle only.

Changes:
  • Added a stereo operation (only applicable in Bluetooth and Monitor mode, not Microphone).
  • The above required some UI layout changes and as a result, tapping on the screen no longer switches the meter mode (that is now done by a combo box), but flip-flops between a full-screen and normal mode. In full-screen mode, only the menu bar and meters are shown, but no info and buttons at the bottom.
  • Added displaying the lowest in addition to the highest sound level.
  • Added an option to trigger when the sound level drops below a certain limit and a few more related trigger options. For example, you can choose if you want to trigger high first, low first or in any order, which stereo channel is used for the trigger etc.
  • Removed some size restrictions resulting in a better use of the screen real estate.
  • Eliminated floating point calculations from the code with the exception of converting from linear to logarithmic (dB) scale.
  • Eliminated the strange 30dB baseline. A quiet room in a suburbia at night now measures at about 20-25dB. Not sure if it is correct though.

Known issues:
  • Smoothing (interpolation) has no effect. As far as I could figure out, it did not have any effect in the original either but I may have gotten it wrong. I am working on a fix.
  • I have not tested the portrait mode at all.
  • Adding new trigger config option mean the old config is not compatible. It will get automatically upgraded on start-up but not downgraded once you decide you prefer the original after all.

Please have a go and report any errors in this thread.

Now for the obligatory screenshots. I have no idea why they show at different sizes, they were all scaled down to 600x360 before uploading. I blame the TMO uploader.

Name:  Screenshot-20140306-145711.jpg
Views: 845
Size:  20.5 KB
Name:  Screenshot-20140306-145728.jpg
Views: 849
Size:  18.9 KB
Name:  Screenshot-20140306-150838.jpg
Views: 823
Size:  22.3 KB
Name:  Screenshot-20140306-145838.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  21.3 KB
Attached Files
File Type: zip vumeter.zip (62.2 KB, 121 views)

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Thanks a lot pichlo, and keeping my thumbs for repo upload - I discovered this tweaked version only thanks to your post in Orecchiette's thread. It really deserves extras-*

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
+1 to above

@pichlo
your compiled version needs updated libstdc++.so.6?!
So no chance to run for me until I switch to Neo/CSSU...

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Sorry about that. It was built on the device, not in the sandbox. I have noticed the binary is significantly larger than the original, primarily because some optimization had to be switched off for a successful build. Sorry I did not notice the library dependency. I am sure both issues will be automagically sorted out by an autobuilder upload, as soon as I get around to setting it up

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Sorry about that. It was built on the device, not in the sandbox. I have noticed the binary is significantly larger than the original, primarily because some optimization had to be switched off for a successful build. Sorry I did not notice the library dependency. I am sure both issues will be automagically sorted out by an autobuilder upload, as soon as I get around to setting it up
If you care about the size, try to strip the executable: "strip name_of_the_executable"
Iirc, autobuilder strips the build results automatically.

PS: It's nice to see this project being revived.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wonko For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the tip, 30% size reduction right there

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
I had a chance to actually test pichlo's version today - while measuring from "microphone" source looks like working (sound lvl fluctuate a little), it actually doesn't seem to. The 19-31 dB sound lvl stays the same in complete silence and while I'm making all kind of noises, or even play a song from N900's own speaker at max volume. Furthermore, while ~20 dB is "silence", it jumps to 31 on graph, on steady period (initially, thought that it measures my heart rate, but it looks the same even when put on table, so...).

I'm curious, if it's just me, or someone else is experiencing same things? Just for the record, my microphone is working fine for all other things, of course.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Huge apology to everyone waiting for an upload to the official repository. Especially to Estel who was last seen nearly two years ago and was never to see it coming. It is hard to imagine almost exactly three years(!) passed since my posts above I have a ton of excuses - the family, two new jobs including one involving a lot of commuting and, last but not least, having used Jolla as my main phone for the past two years and leaving my N900 unloved and unattended. Needless to say, I had completely forgotten how to upload thing to autobuilder and had to rediscover everything nearly from scratch.

The good news is that, having been totally disillusioned by Jolla, I have switched back to the N900 as my main driver. It feels like moving back from a new but cheap and rubbish, very basic car that barely holds together to an old, comfortable one with a lot of features the new one can only dream about. It is strange how moving back in time feels like moving forward.

Anyway, enough of the rant. I have plans for my N900 including finishing some projects I started two or more years ago. One of them, vumeter 0.12.0, has made it to extras-devel with all the changes as listed in post #112. Please bombard me with requests and bug reports. To preempt at least one, updating the documentation is on the list

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
It is great to still see new stuff going up on the Maemo5 repos. I still cant quite replace my easy and fun to straight up familiar Linux hack N900 for an android phone. Despite being better for stuff like NFC, BT4.0, and web browser; it is still a pain to just SSH or SCP in and fix or hack a problem or idea.
I just cant stand how even Lineage/Cyanogen tries to babysit me and protect the system making even a rooted tablet hard to get files from wifi or a flash drive to internal memory.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post: