Posts: 36 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Finland
I have issue with Modest client. It quits while launching it. I have tried to reinstall/reboot with no success. Are there any error logs that would be helpful?

I have previously had Modest up and running without any problems.

Thanks in advance!

Posts: 132 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Portugal
I had the same problem. To solve the problem I did the following:

1. I disconnect from internet (Off-line mode)
2. started Modest (it could run)
3. delected the gMail connection in Modest

I found the problem by starting modest from xterm. It gave me an error when modest tried to connect to gmail account. I did not have any problem with my Yahoo account.

I did not yet try to connect to gmail account from modest

I hope this works for you.

The Following User Says Thank You to luso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 36 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Finland
Yes thanks for your input. I had a regular imap account defined there, after deleting it, Modest could run. But after defining the account again and connecting to the net, it will crash again.

The Following User Says Thank You to nahkiainen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 76 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Long Island NY
same situation as above - IMAP account - no gmail

recently upgraded OS to 2.2007.50.2 and there was an update for Modest which is what I believe causes this crash.

No email accounts defied and it still crashes on startup- EDIT - There was one email account and when deleted it does not crash. Strange.

SECOND EDIT- as first email I entered info for a pop3 account and it did not crash. Enter IMAP as second accout and it crashes - bugzilla time.

N810

Last edited by bg4; 2008-01-05 at 23:30.

Posts: 76 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Long Island NY
bump for advice

Sems it is the username that is causing the crash.

My username is my e-mail address - bob@pugfam.net
apparently modest does not like the @ - if I leave it out it does not crash but I can't get my email.

any suggestions/alternatives

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by bg4 View Post
any suggestions/alternatives
Sorry, no. I have two POP3 accounts with "@" in the usernames, and I can tell you they've worked fine for me in Modest in the past. I haven't tested them with the current version of Modest, but I'll try to do that tomorrow. I know, it's POP3, not IMAP, but maybe it'll be of some help.

The POP3 account that trips up Modest for me doesn't use an "@" in the username. If I configure the account as non-SSL POP3, Modest spends time talking to the server, but never gets any mail. If I configure the account for SSL POP3, Modest dies as soon as it tries to retreive messages.

If there's a logging option, I haven't found it, and the Modest users' mailing list seems to have near zero users. I do have the core dumps, but I think I'd need scratchbox and a debugger (plus some clue what I'm doing) to get anywhere with them.

Until then, I'm using Claws-mail.

There is a new version of Modest out: 1.0-2008.03-1. I upgraded to it and it crashes for me instantly. If I start it disconnected from the internet, it comes up, but as soon as I connect to the internet it crashes. I have both a POP3 and an IMAP account defined. It crashed with the previous update, too. This new one is no better.

I am having the same issue. My username is my full e-mail address. It will not load (while online) with the @ in my username.

How do we go about reporting this issue to Modest? I hope they come out with a fix for it.

Thanks,
Ron

Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
Modest daemon sometime doesn't crash but don't respond ...

just kill it ...

in xterm :
killall modest

As of today 1/19/2008 there is a new version of modest out that seems to run fine now. The crashing problem I was experiencing is gone. Seems to work pretty well now! thanks!