Notices

Closed Thread
Posts: 1,412 | Thanked: 594 times | Joined on Aug 2005 @ Recife, Brazil
Hi Rjoudrey :

It's really not about the price...or being free.. no. It's more about dealing with user's expectations x their own attitudes= )

For example, we did a lot of hard work, tested like crazy everything.. even a version for the very buggy HE we made.. and then things just don't install correctly for a lot of users, because there are outside variables that we can't control...

In the end, the sad part is that most of the time.. it becomes "Canola sucks because it can't even install correctly", and most of the time.. was another crappy repository set up.. or a simple application made by a novice programmer that overrides some library etc.. but the fault always comes to our side.. =)

Not *****ing ... but sometimes I wish to be apple and just tell users "Flash it"
=) but we are not.. then we suffer ehehehe

But anyways.. that's life! =)
OpenBossa Labs @ INdT, Recife Brazil
http://openbossa.indt.org

@Dwf there's some posts about that in the forum.. you can look for them here :

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=16075

BR

Posts: 316 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Maryland, US
On my N810 (never had any version of Canola installed previously):
I had similar problems to dwf and benz. Unable to install message... Then finally installed (well, I should say the install failed again but the icon was installed and Canola2 showed up as installed but it wouldn't run.) Also at this point, I was unable to uninstall with App manager since it said Canola2 was a dependancy of some lib-type file...) I had no idea how to clean this up. (sorry I didn't look in App manager log file, bad me)
I thought this was caused by some files not being available or either some mis-match of files or..?
I had created a full backup earlier in the day, so I re-flashed to a clean OS2008. Installed Canola2 first, before any backup restore or any other apps, and all went well. Then I went and restored my backup and it installed all old apps and my settings correctly
- All is now working fine (apart from album covers because of python dependency issue... But I can wait for you guys to fix it)

On my N800 (had existing Canola2 beta on it, and latest OS2008):
Very clean upgrade.
Saw reboot message in forum, and so I rebooted and Canola2 is working great.
(also same cover art issue but can wait)

Looking good guys. thanks!
I hope you solve the "unable to install" problem. sorry I didn't look in my app manager log.
Thanks for adding wma support

One problem I see is that the sound level always resets between songs for wma. (it seems fine for mp3 but not confirmed this). If I turn the volume down low with the vertical slider in C2 then it plays quietly. If I go to next track then the sound level goes high again but the onscreen slider is still at bottom. Pressing the slider again adjusts the volume.

How do I install canola using the terminal? Do I simply do an apt-get install canola2?
I did that and it complains about two libraries, one from skype and skype-2.5-dispatcher.

OK. I did what it requested (apt-get -f install) and then did the apt-get install canola2 and it now seems to work! I'm not sure I see the differences from the earlier version yet.

dwf:

please remember that we always said : this is a bug fix update. So the difference is more in "supporting more formats", stabler, improved icons on media library, detect multiple artists album... able to refresh database, playback problems.. and so on.

A feature update is the next one, coming in march.. take a look in the about section of the website to for more info.

Originally Posted by gioele View Post
I did the update but canola doesn't start. When trying in xterm i get this:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/canola", line 231, in <module>
mc = MainController(ee, options.theme)
File "plugins/canola-core/main/controller.py", line 153, in __init__
File "plugins/canola-core/main/controller.py", line 189, in _setup_status
File "/controller.py", line 131, in get_controller_for_model
File "plugins/canola-core/maemo/system.py", line 88, in __init__
AttributeError: 'BatteryStatus' object has no attribute 'callbacks_status_changed'
SHUTDOWN

I have the n800 with os2008, anyone having the same problem?

I unistalled the package and reinstalled and it's now working.

Originally Posted by handful View Post
Hi, let's go over the topics...

FlareUP : take a look at the other threads, theres at least 2 or 3 with tips on how to solve this. The application manager of people with different repositories can get crazy when updating.. and thus you need to do so manual tweakings.. but it's possible to fix.

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=16075

Sorry if this is a lot of trouble: /

ah well, I know it's beta an all but not good. maybe there should be a "not simple to uninstall" warning.

my two pee on the thing - looks nice, bu without playlist creation/editing functionality doesn't really add fnctionality. video playback messed up and froze device, which is why I'm (attempting) to uninstall.

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Chicago, IL
Handful

One Simple thing

Did the "D' pad controls for video change ? It seems to me that in a previous version the right and left allowed for moving forward and moving back from within the file being viewed, now they are moving to the next file or the previous file, that leaves only the slide bar as an option for FF and rewind, it is much harder to control that way.

I did see the media library refresh feature and the merge albums. I can't tell where it gets the albums from. It seemed to merge some tracks but not others. I couldn't tell why it did what it did.

Closed Thread