Posts: 282 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Penniless Park, Fla.
derek...

1. start your IT
2. launch xterm
3. log in as root
4. execute:

echo host > /sys/devices/platform/musb_hdrc/mode

5. attach your usb cable
6. plug in your usb device

- i have successfully attached:

various USB thumbdrives (using a female<->female adapter)
a Maxtor One-Touch 120GB USB hard drive (via powered mini-hub)
Sony Cyber-shotŪ DSC-S700 digital camera
Cowan iAudio G3 mp3 player

- and using 'normal' mode (i.e., Otg mode):

no-name USB RS232 adapter (using usb-serial kernel modules)

- btw, after you're done with host mode, don't forget to execute (as root):

echo otg > /sys/devices/platform/musb_hdrc/mode

have a happy and happy hacking!

Last edited by linux_author; 2008-02-02 at 18:46.

Posts: 239 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Massachusetts
When it works, File manager will autostart and bring up the new drive.
It'll be named by its volume label.

---------------------------------------------

Posts: 678 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Jose CA
The file manager will not see NTFS or Linux FS. Format the SD with FAT32.

Originally Posted by nhanquy View Post
The file manager will not see NTFS or Linux FS. Format the SD with FAT32.
- the file manager will see ext2 (my Maxtor was partitioned and formatted HFS+/ext2 - the ext2 filesystem appeared in the file manager w/no probs)

Last edited by linux_author; 2008-02-02 at 18:44.

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
Originally Posted by dfinch View Post
<snip>
"USB device not supported"
<snip>
2 different USB SD 'jump' drives with 2gb SD and 4gb SCHC cards
<snip>
I use a F2F and when I put it in host mode it says "USB device not supported" and then I can access the THUMB drive.
What is a "jump" drive?
PLEASE use the Wiki

Linux_author, thanks for rapid relpy!

I issued the echo command as directed and tried my standalone reader. It worked!
A bit more investigation revealed that I just had not hit on the right hardare combination. My reader wont see a miniSD SDHC card in it's mini slot (which is what I tried before) but it WILL see the miniSD card when inserted in the full size SD adapter and then put in my reader. In fact it will see any SD card in the SD card slot of this reader (1gb, 2gb 4gb). None of my jump drives work at all (too power hungry I expect).

BTW, the OTG and host apps in extras do also work now I know what card/reader combination works.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply.
"When you know the key works, you try a bit harder to open the door"

BTW2 if anyone else wondered what you see when it does work, the file mamager opens automatically and describes the card by its size in the left hand list. Clicking any valid file will invoke the applicable app.

Also, the "USB device not supported" message DOES appear but the "unable to connect, no file system available" message does not if everything works.

Derek

Originally Posted by gemniii42 View Post
I use a F2F and when I put it in host mode it says "USB device not supported" and then I can access the THUMB drive.
What is a "jump" drive?
'Jump' drive just one term used for a 'thumb' drive. I think every manufacturer has a slightly different name. I use the ones that take an SD card rather than dedicated internal memory.

BTW as you may have seen from my previous post it's working.

Also I discovered the file system requirement. I could not see some FAT16 CF cards in the reader that otherwise works. Thanks to the poster for this clarification.

Derek

P.S. I guess I'm off to meritline for one of their 16gb SDHC cards for $69
http://www.meritline.com/a-data-16gb...ash-card.html:)

The meritline card works as the internal card in the n800. The URL works if you remove the trailing colon, http://www.meritline.com/a-data-16gb...lash-card.html

For my n810 I use a mini-to-micro SD and an 8Gb sandisk microSD http://www.dz-tech.com/sandisk-8gb-m...age-p-951.html

Note on multireaders - they normally enumerate as separate logical units or separate drives and not all of them may be automounting. One Belkin wouldn't find the SD reader directly (I could go into xterm though). Under windows it would give E: F: G: H: or something similar. So if you have a multislot reader, it might be compatible, but you would need to tweak something elsewhere to get the card to mount automatically.

I did the above operation on my N810 and it said the USB device wasn't supported when I connected a USB flash drive. It also said there was no file system on the drive. But there is a file system on it. I attached a USB hard drive with separate power and it saw nothing. I used a female to female adapter on the end of the provided USB cable to connect up the flash drive. Does it require something else to connect properly?

Originally Posted by dfinch View Post
I issued the echo command as directed and tried my standalone reader. It worked!
- most excellent! now to do more experimenting with various hardware?

:-)

- btw, i wish there was some way to collect a repository of working devices... it would be easy to gauge non-hub requirements based on voltage requirements of individual devices, but few manufacturers put that type of information on consumer packaging...

- when i use a powered hub, i've found that i must use this approach:

1. attach power supply to hub
2. then attach to IT via USB
3. wait for hub message, and then
4. plug in the device (such as USB hard drive)

- digital camera support may be more hit-or-miss... while my cheap Sony worked [i.e., mounted] with no problem, my Canon A570IS did not... (but then again, the Canon support was also squirrely under on my older Ubuntu boxen)

:-(