Notices

Is anyone else having problems with GPE calendar giving alarms at non-scheduled times? I have it installed, it seems to work OK in many cases, but others the timing seems to screw up. For example, yesterday I had a major meeting from 1430 to 1730; since it would take a while to get there, I set the alarm for 2 hours ahead (i.e. should have been 1230). I should have realised there was something wrong when it didn't go off at 1230, but I guess I'm not Sherlock Holmes (the dog that didn't bark...). Anyway, 1630, in the middle of this important meeting, bee-boo bee-boo with the n800 buried deep in my bag. Very embarrassing. This isn't the first time it's happened - just the most embarrassing. One common thread, the incorrect alarms all seem to have been when I set the alarm an hour or more before the event (though perhaps with shorter offsets I just don't notice when they go wrong).

Obviously I've checked it carefully afterward, the alarm setting looks correct. Tried various experiments, setting dummy alarms and testing them. So far, they all seem to work correctly. I also checked that the system time is the same as that being shown in calendar, so it seems to be a problem of the alarm computing the wrong time, rather than the time being set wrong in calendar. Has anyone else seen anything similar (or know of pointers to similar threads)?

The Following User Says Thank You to urilabob For This Useful Post:
Yes, I've had the same experience (but only on occasion, like you). Haven't had much of a chance to investigate - thought it might have to do with whether the calendar applet was actually loaded or not. I'll be watching the thread to see whether a solution (or cause, for that matter) shows up. Thanks, K.

I don't think my false alarms are related to whether the calendar is running at the time - I normally leave it running (I don't think I get alarms if I shut it down).

Probably unrelated (since a lot of people mention crashes): I get a fair few, but usually during initialisation or very soon after it's started - if it runs for more than 10 seconds, it usually stays running for a few days.

I had a problem where I opened my calender and ALL of my times were off. I don't know for sure but it seemed like they were all off by the same amount. I might have changed my time zone on the system somewhere though, but changing the system's time zone again didn't seem to alter the times on my calender.

Posts: 239 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Massachusetts
Yesterday an alarm went off for the day before. Calendar was minimized.

---------------------------------------------

I've had the same problem a number of times. The alarm always seems to go off on schedule, but then it might ring again a day later at the wrong time. I have no idea how to track this problem down.

I had the same problem today. An alam went off several hours after the event. Is there a way we can tell Nokia to create a PIM application for the IT? It is the only thing that still keeps me thinking about returning the device.

I'm running GPE also. Though I've only been using it for several days, I've already had alarms repeated, a crash or two, and an instance of the touchpad tapping input being hung. I've now experienced the touchpad hang when not using GPE so it may not be GPE's fault. I've also discovered that jumping to other days in the same month has been painful. I finally figured out that I need the calendar sidebar for that to be usable.

What about Gene Cash's python apps? Has anyone tried them? It appears that his calendar app uses the maemo alarmd instead of its own alarming like GPE. I didn't see any mention of syncing in his feature list, which GPE can theoretically do already. He does support export to iCalendar file which is close enough to a sync for me. See:
http://home.cfl.rr.com/genecash/nokia/

Problems seem to have gone away with OS2008: no mis-timed alarms in maybe two months since installation. Combined with erminig, I now have a good, reliable PIM that I can share to google calendar, and then to ical . Nice!

Posts: 99 | Thanked: 64 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Stuttgart/Germany
hello there,
please can you tell me if the false alarm problem is really solved? i don't want a rude awakening