Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Originally Posted by N770-Freak View Post
I don't want to see the whole sourcecode. But if the bug is kernel-related, I don't know why they shouldn't provide their changes in bugzilla. As far as I know: the kernel is opensource
(apart from binary-blobs)
Doesn't N800 kernel has some proprietary, hardware specific, code? Like the power saving/sleep mode in particular...

Originally Posted by Mara View Post
Doesn't N800 kernel has some proprietary, hardware specific, code? Like the power saving/sleep mode in particular...
I called that part "binary-blob".

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
No. One part of wi-fi driver (umac.ko) is closed source. And BT and wi-fi firmware blobs are closed too. But nothing in kernel related to power management. However there are userspace bits related to power management that are closed (dsme, bme).

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

So now that they have admitted there is a problem with the kernel, who do I send the bill to for the three fried cards I have. BTW my N800 had an older kernel on it when it fried the cards. I hope the problem is a hold over from earlier revisions that just migrated through to the current release and not a different problem.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by N770-Freak View Post
This bug was already fixed with the last firmware. One day after official release the bug was reopened again. I don't believe it until I have tested this fix

I don't understand why they don't provide patches or test-packages for testing. They should mention in bugzilla the specific code-lines that are affected! Perhaps Nokia never heard of opensource.
You guys are forgetting something very important here in your (justified) anger: the tablets didn't start off fully open source. People complained. Nokia HAS listened. The last firmware was a significant step toward the goal of increased open source and visibility. You just don't see the full fruits just YET. Will it be total? No, and I think most here understand exactly why even if they don't necessarily accept it.

Nokia has asked for patience from the tablet owners. I realize many believe, rightfully so, that should not have to be patient. I realize there have been critical bugs (and MANY thanks to those who have provided outstanding input to Bugzilla). To that point, this sort of endeavor is a two-way street. Nokia is providing a handheld device running Linux; the obligation of those who enjoy the benefits of Linux is to provide detailed feedback. And please keep in mind absence of evidence is NOT evidence of absence.

Patience. Better things ARE coming. I have not lied to you yet nor will I.

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
I fully understand the reasons why the Nokians let very little slip, however despite many promises to improve the process there appears to be no real progress - this is incredibly frustrating. You'd have thought after 2+ years of "open source" development they might be using Bugzilla more productively, yet it still appears they are using it grudginly.
Appearances are deceiving. You guys are assuming very wrongly about maemo.

And how do you define "real", Mil?

Last edited by Texrat; 2007-09-25 at 15:40.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by jeep99 View Post
So now that they have admitted there is a problem with the kernel, who do I send the bill to for the three fried cards I have. BTW my N800 had an older kernel on it when it fried the cards. I hope the problem is a hold over from earlier revisions that just migrated through to the current release and not a different problem.
Presumably Nokia know exactly what is wrong with your 3 "dead" cards and could, if they chose to, confirm whether they can be resurrected or not. They could even document a suitable method for resurrection.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
And how do you define "real", Mil?
I would like to see Nokia use Bugzilla in the same way other projects use it - effective two way communication, open and transparent, no politics, egos or agendas.

Many (but importantly not all) bugs in Bugzilla receive no input at all from Nokia - there is no dialogue, only silence and one way communication.

In the case of the MMC corruption, I don't understand why Nokia waited until they were prompted to reveal the issue had been identified - Nokia should have been shouting about it from the rooftops! To me, this is another indication of Nokia still not "getting" free and open discussion with the community - the politics (and perhaps an ingrained internally facing development mentality) is stifling full engagement of the Nokia developers and the community.

As long as I get 3 fixed / stable cards in the end, i'll be more happy then I am now, however, 2 were bought as replacements which never would have been purchased if they hadn't become corrupted in the first place. This is not the place to argue this though.

Last edited by jeep99; 2007-09-25 at 19:15.

Posts: 469 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montana
Further information about the bug has been posted by Nokia including an Oct 2nd release date for the fix:

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1204

Originally Posted by jeep99 View Post
who do I send the bill to for the three fried cards I have.
To the card manufacturer of course. They did supplied flawed cards which are failing to comply with SDHC specifications, so it is their fault. According to specification, card must not become corrupted in such scenario when power dropped for some reason. At very most, some files can be damaged but card itself should become alive. I suspect you can encounter such corruption not just in Nokia n800 only. So, manufacturer MUST replace completely failed cards under warranty conditions.Solely their fault

Note: file system corruption file system corruption while card itself is alive is probably up to you.Card manufacturer is not responsible for the fact you or your device 've wrote data that are not looking like valid file system.Try to recover MBR and partition table with according software.If this fails and card seems to be totally dead, you have to request card replace\repair under warranty since you did nothing wrong against SDHC spec's.

Let's admit that it looks like there is card vendors who does not suffers from this bug and obey SDHC specs better.At least I was not able to corrupt my Kingston SDHC 8Gb card while doing everything described in this bug.Yes, I did downloaded huge 700 Mb file over wi-fi to SDHC card and device entered sleep mode and was awakened by me several times, etc.Yes, I did performed massive file transfers. Card is still alive.

P.S. and damn, do not tell about internal and external slot differences.That's annoying and lame.There is n800 scheme floating around in the web and you can see, both slots are attached to "Menelaus" chip.They should be electriacally identical.

Originally Posted by From bug report
- Another bug belongs to the card configuration though, and has nothing to do
with our software/hardware. According to the SD-Memory Card Specifications, the
cards should not get damaged even with the bug we had. In a wost case scenario
users could get corrupted files, but still in a functional card.