Active Topics

When I initially got the N800 a few weeks ago, it was a wonderful new toy for me to play with. It still is. But that's part of the problem with the device. It's more a toy than a tool to me, only because of the inconsistancies and unreliable features I've come to expect failure from. Now I digress: the hardware is great and speedy- sexy and ergonomic. The IT2008 firmware offers better features and appearance. IT2008 also offers two major flaws I cannot recover from, with no solution in sight that make the device less useful in two applications that I depend on.

1) Microb browser failure to connect. Other people have had the same issue, and all of us have tried the wlan idle time fixes to no avail for some. Happens in the middle of browsing for short periods of time (e.g. longer than three clicks on links, browsing between pages or moving forward.) Forces me to close and restart Microb.

2) SD cards tend to unmount, or at least do not show up at all on the device on occasion. I had it happen to me several times while playing back audio files from the card(s) and also when I didn't access them at all during a session. This problem rears it head whether or not I move around with the device or whether or not it's plugged into power.

I am new to the device, and have much experience in the tech sector. I do not have much experience in administering Linux from the command line. My background is mostly in Windows products or FreeBSD/Linux firewall/routers. So I represent most of the people who consider themselves to be "geeks" or "techs." I also represent the newbs, as my own experience doesn't allow for modifying Linux outside of a GUI.

If you are trying to replace a Windows Mobile device or Palm (PDA) with this Nokia offering, please look elsewhere. You will NOT get the same sort of near-seamless operation out of the box with the Nokia tablets. I am saying this with many years of Windows CE, Pocket PC, and Windows Mobile experience that I grew to love. The only reasons I am a convert are as follows:

1) Windows Mobile has a far inferior browser experience.
2) Windows Mobile has fewer browser plugins/web compatibility.
3) Windows Mobile has a much smaller, inferior screen.

Besides the screen, there are only the Web advantages on the Nokia over WM. And those are negated by failures from the Microb browser to browse for long periods of time or take breaks and continue browsing. And as for the screen, the Nokia does NOT switch between landscape and portrait like WM2003SE forward. This is a HUGE drawback I wasn't aware of when I chose the Nokia N800.
Furthermore, audio playback (while smooth and tonally rich enough) does not achieve the same kind of volume output that WM devices have provided to me since early 2000, nor the kind of solid reliability of access for removable memory cards. My disappointment has increased over time as I carry the device everywhere with me and expect it to work all the time, as I hardly ever multitask. Either I am listening to MP3's, or I am surfing, or I am using a mapping application.
Now to mapping. The built-in app included in IT2008 OS would be nice, if it worked at all. It does not load at all when executed. Maemo Mapper is well and good, but you need to download the maps which can be confusing in comparison to Streets & Trips for creating map areas for mobile use. Anyone used to mapping software that you select an area for copying to your device (almost all of mobile mapping programs) will likely wonder about this detail, and ask the same question over and over for each new user that buys the device. Has anyone seen the posts yet about this? Of course you have. The WM devices have an edge here, but of course those solutions are pay-to-play, so IT2008 is cheaper in the end. But.... Streets & Trips only costs about $20 a copy, and works on your desktop or laptop as well, giving the software extra functionality. So in effect, you are only paying $10 for the Pocket Streets portion if you find value in the desktop software, which you certainly will. Add to the fact your time is money (unless you are a slacker or have no family to take care of) and the WM devices merit much more attention since they are more reliable and perform when and where you want, without having to study internet forums beforehand.

This is a huge rant, and I expect retorts from the choir. But it needs to be said. If someone technically adept, but new to the device, cannot fix what's wrong with it without studying up and getting schooled on the device's inner workings, then there's got to be a problem. It's as if Nokia tried to make it easy to use, but failed on so many different levels. Certain things are simple and even easier to use than a WM device. Others are abysmally granular beyond reason or just plain unreliable.

The device has crashed on me more times in three weeks than all the time I ran WM or WinCE devices. That's unacceptable. The N800 is marketed as an Internet Tablet, but I have so much trouble using the browser reliably that I loathe when I HAVE TO use it. I do admit that when at a hockey game, the arena's public WiFi was streaming youtube between periods for my son and I to watch automotive videos and some middle eastern guy drifting a bicycle. And sometimes the wireless connection will hold out long enough to read my webmail accounts. Once in a while I can use the media playback on the N800 to listen to some songs without having to reboot the device or re-insert the formerly fine SD cards.

Keep in mind I still WANT the device to work. I still WANT to keep it and improve its reliability. I'm hoping to work out the issues and if nothing else, the N800 will help me to learn more about Linux and command-line expressions. But the average user will not want to keep it, they will return their N800 and go buy a smartphone or iPhone and get locked into a contract or they will buy one of the few remaining PDAs on the market. Maybe they will pony up for a full UMPC. I'll more than likely do all of the above, because that's the way I am about technology. I just have to get my hands dirty in it. I'd just rather have a more proven device to rely on day-to-day and the N800 will live in a drawer until I get bored with it and sell. I feel used by Nokia, for giving me hope that paying $250 will bring me a replacement for what I used to depend on. Do you think I'll buy another ITOS device, without significant development to improve on reliability? Forget it. You shouldn't need to learn ANYTHING to use the device day-to-day the way it was designed. And I shouldn't need to go out and spend $300 to buy a new WM device to replace the sad remnants of a dream.

Bah! Forget about it. I can't convice you if you already set your heart on a new N8x0 device. Go ahead, buy one and suffer for a while! It will be fun. You'll have a grand time trying to band-aid the dream to create a fantasy. You'll eventually wake up and understand the soapbox antics here in this very post. I double-dog-dare you to try! You may succeed in your endevor, but the word that comes to mind here is "demanding:" such as a trophy-wife that saps the blood out of your wallet while secretly having an affair on the side with your gardener. Except with your N800 you don't get a sweet babe to fornicate with. And it's your intellect that will be sapped as you dedicate more mental workspace to problems and solutions for the N800. The N800 is certainly a dirty "hoar" in this aspect.
*A Professor of Truth at the Academy for the Advancement of (insert subject here)
*A Pathological Non-Liar
*A Dissector of Logical Thought
*A Cynical Comic of Society

Delusions of grandeur not included. Do not use product in a manner not specified by the Terms of Use. Avoid prolonged exposure to intellectually flawed thought for best results.

Last edited by zeusenergy; 2008-01-07 at 02:48.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Dunno, neither of these bugs show up over here, and I use my device a lot. Sounds like you messed something up.

Also: you should consider investing your free time in more constructive activities.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Dunno, neither of these bugs show up over here, and I use my device a lot. Sounds like you messed something up.

Also: you should consider investing your free time in more constructive activities.
Thanks for the post. The N800 has these qualities under two re-flashes of OS2008, with no additional software and well seated cards. The door magnet switch is intact as well.

As for the critisizm, this post was meant to be constructive. It will save average users the trouble of buying an IT200x device so they can purchase something that will fit their needs better. Saving people's time buying, returning, and finding something more up their alley allows them to be more constructive.
For the people who are die-hards, more solutions will be found for particular batches of units or revisions of software. Eventually the devices will get so good that many more average users will jump on board, so long as Nokia gets more involved with user issues and streamlining the whole repository and install process with a built-in clearinghouse of repos that are populated by 3rd parties with no more dependancies or other trivialities.
If they don't, it will be curtains for the ITOS devices as they are.
*A Professor of Truth at the Academy for the Advancement of (insert subject here)
*A Pathological Non-Liar

Delusions of grandeur not included. Do not use product in a manner not specified by the Terms of Use. Avoid prolonged exposure to intellectually flawed thought for best results.

Originally Posted by zeusenergy View Post
If you are trying to replace a Windows Mobile device or Palm (PDA) with this Nokia offering, please look elsewhere. You will NOT get the same sort of near-seamless operation out of the box with the Nokia tablets.
Like you, I'm new to the platform. I haven't encountered the level of flakiness you have, but I agree with your conclusion.

The level of polish in the software is not that of a released consumer product. It feels like an early beta that does not quite have all the features implemented.

I happen to love my new N810 and have used it for many hours. I put the contents of a two pound notebook into it in PDF. I check email and stock quotes, listen to Internet radio, and play one of the games. I bought it just to use on the road, and am delighted to have discovered all these uses around the house.

I've also reported a number of bugs, mostly of the variety of "when the user does this, it ought to do that but it does something else." These bugs shouldn't have made it through beta.

The user facilities feel incomplete. One of many examples: How come (unless I'm missing something) I can add a radio station to the Favorites, but can't move one from the Favorites to some other folder?

I couldn't recommend it to anyone but an early adopter - who will probably love it as I do, and keep trying to help polish the software.

The Following User Says Thank You to bilofsky For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
I don't have the problems you speak of browsing on my N800... but it took 10 months for the right combination of user tweaks and OS for that to be said.

I also use a WinMo device running 2003 in my work vehicle and the browser just plain sucks... Not to mention I don't dare disconnect it from the charger for any length of time or risk loosing everything stored in RAM... Where it shines over the N800 though is the third party apps. TomTom navigator, my weather app, and assorted Today screen widgets run continuously on it. However, that took almost 3 years to sort out.

Now that I have Wayfinder up on OS2008 and can now also connect through my phone, I use the N800 exclusively during my personal time. I can throw the thing in my jacket pocket on Friday night and not have to worry about charging again until Sunday evening. I can also carry 16 gigs of USB accessible mass storage on the dang thing.

I've said it before elsewhere...I agree that the n8x0 and os2008 are not ready for primetime. I use the thing daily, and it seems daily that I find another quirk. It boggles my mind that this platform made it through QA and out of beta.

But it is what it is. I still use it and have found ways to work around or ignore the things that suck.

The Following User Says Thank You to jmancine For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
I don't have the problems you speak of browsing on my N800... but it took 10 months for the right combination of user tweaks and OS for that to be said.

I also use a WinMo device running 2003 in my work vehicle and the browser just plain sucks... Not to mention I don't dare disconnect it from the charger for any length of time or risk loosing everything stored in RAM... Where it shines over the N800 though is the third party apps. TomTom navigator, my weather app, and assorted Today screen widgets run continuously on it. However, that took almost 3 years to sort out.

Now that I have Wayfinder up on OS2008 and can now also connect through my phone, I use the N800 exclusively during my personal time. I can throw the thing in my jacket pocket on Friday night and not have to worry about charging again until Sunday evening. I can also carry 16 gigs of USB accessible mass storage on the dang thing.
I had open arms to OS2008 and it stabbed me dead before I could embrace it. It's great yours doesn't have the same issues!
The good thing is a more powerful, updated WM device lives in the guise of the HP iPaq 111. It should work better for me until I can sort out the N800 or sell it when I'm done with it. It has:

*Real support for stereo bluetooth and headset profiles.
*Rotatable screen.
*Smaller size/weight.
*Better or equal battery life.
*Compatiblity with and more support for file types I use.
*Built-in notes and recording app that really works.
*Fast memory and CPU (equals or betters OS2008 performance)
*WiFi B/G, Bluetooth everything.
*FAR better reliability.
*SDHC/SDIO support!
*Oh yeah! And configurable hardware buttons!

Still no consumer IR port though
*A Pathological Non-Liar

Last edited by zeusenergy; 2008-01-07 at 03:41.

My N800 has never suffered from the timout/unmount errors others complain about. I agree its confusing and frustrating when something that should work, flakes out, but don't worry things will get better the more people are using and working on these device/software issues.
I was sick of Palm and waiting for a current technology device.. But, now guess what? I kind of miss the old Blazer browser- Not as many ads, and the optimized view was pretty quick and easy to read. I like using G-talk with the N8's though..so, go forward..

When I show my n800 to people it always comes with the caveat that the device is *not* for them. The average consumer is much better off with an iTouch than this device because of the issues required to do many things with it. It is very much an enthusiast device in my opinion and installing various programs can be a hassle. Yes, I find the programs useful, but that does not mean that the device is generally usable since I come to the table with a firm linux background (one reason why I chose this device). However, I find developing in the virtual environment to be excessively painful. So the device is full of pros and cons and it will always come down to the user and the needs of the user. For the person who is seeking to pick up a device for simple net access I turn them to the iTouch since I know they will far less frustrated with it.

Posts: 472 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Texas
What's funny is that Nokia never really stated that the Tablets are for consumers just yet. In fact, I was personally standing in the room when Bill Plummer, VP for Nokia North America said, in L.A., that the Internet Tablet lineup is still somewhere between geek and consumer. The 770 was obviously geek, and the N800 (at the time running OS2007) was a *small* step closer to consumer, and that it would be a few more generations before it was entirely ready for the consumer market.

Thus, I'm not surprised that you feel the tablet isn't ready to replace consumer goods. It's not designed to. Not to say your desired uses aren't legit.

However, the Tablet also works PERFECTLY for some people. For me, I can use it as a portable blogging tool, and it works better than any other mobile device that I've tried.

I am, however, interested to know why in the world you'd want to browse the web in portrait mode?

The Following User Says Thank You to rcadden For This Useful Post: