link, because all I can find are linux installs. http://www.musicpd.org/info.shtml

Why do you need an IR port? Seriously?

I have to agree this is a geek toy and I bought it simply for the reason that it's Linux-based and wanted something I could hack with other than just another PC.
Also this is definately a niche product and it's not meant to be a PDA. It has none of the features of my Palm and it will not replace it any time soon. The N800 is simply an internet access device and it does that pretty well.

I've not had the issues you have described, but then again I'm still using OS2007 and with the painful experiences shared here, will stay with OS2007 until the bugs get worked out.

I hope you can find the middle-ground with the N800 and see it's usefulness, but that it is not a do-all solution. Best.

Originally Posted by n900spack View Post
Why do you need an IR port? Seriously?
Probably for remote control, syncing data between devices, etc.

Use your imagination

with an ir port this device would hit another market with the ability to turn it into a universal learning remote similar to logitechs own touch screen remote but with the advantage of open source behind it. that is the main problem with is device if ask me. it has an identity crisis and doesn't do any one thing really well to stand out

Maan... IR port would have been so cool, esp. if it had the enhanced IR beamer like old PalmOS Clies!

I'd be able to finally get rid off my T665 (Which, thanks to OmniRemote, can control almost every IR device in my house... many of which I've lost the original remote for... )

But even a normal one would have been handy... I could use it with my Serial IR dongle to reprogram the rack routers at work like I currently do with my TH55

It's still fine 'tho... and if I can find a BT-Serial dongle bridge to use then both my N800 and TH55 can do it

It's a nice little toy. Got a lot of annoyances and doesn't have a chance of replacing my TH55... but may replace my Zodiac 2...

Last edited by Cyker; 2008-01-18 at 21:54.

Posts: 122 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Eastern Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
I share a lot of the positive and negative sentiments in this thread but have gone tye way of the tablet in the hopes that I could be one of those users who helps developers think less in the terminal and more in the 'solving a issue simply' mindset.

Now, I do agree that a lot needs to be worked on. But what is here is quite impressive. If potential and 'some' hacking doesn't turn you off, this is a great platform. But it does require a good deal of patience.

That all being said, can a bro get a browser that does a nice zoom to view mode and handles js/ajax heavy sites with a bit more skill. For an internet device, one would think that the browser would be the most polished part.
Ditto that!
Its ALL in the name Nokia chose to go with "Internet Tablet", so they surely can't be surprised when the anger comes rolling in because it can't do internet very well.
That said I love my N800's. My wife and I use them often and video chat regularly as an intercom around our big place- indoors and out.
First thing I would say to others is: this is not an $800-$1000 unit! Its a couple hundred bucks!!!!!!!!!!Hello?
Would you buy a Palm Treo these days at list price of $650-700ish dollars? Heck NO, and I'm sorry but the Windows Mobile products have become just a money grab. Memory piggish software that is way way over priced for what it is...in size and function.
Anybody who has ever had XP on their main computer for a while should give their head a shake if they expected perfection with this little N800 baby. Even Vista was a launch joke farse and most of my IT friends and company's wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole even today. Anything true mission critical will not be a Windows Product. Sorry that is 'bottom rung'. True mission critical work is all done on Unix and mostly Solaris10.

So I agree that I have had my angst and anger, but most basically this lil N800 is excellent with what is currently available. So, when I stop tweaking and trying beta's etc, there is actually a lot of utterly FREE good software that runs just fine. Yes did I remind that it is ALL FREE?!

Keep on community! I ain't no iPhoney. :P

Yeah, the price was a BIG point for me.

When I got my N800, play.com were selling them for £130!!

Nobrainer there.

It's actually pretty crap for what it's apparently 'supposed' to do (i.e. browse internet), but it's not a bad portable terminal and is a pretty good rival to my Zod2 and PSP

Because it's open, the software has a better chance of maturing, and software was why PalmOS got so loved, so this thing has a lot of potential!

I must say 'tho, it is very 'Linux', in the sense that you have to put a lot of hacking time in to get the damned thing working nicely.
Out of the box it was a right PITA.

Mmm... speaking of which, I wonder if I can get kismet and aircrack-ng working on here so I can use it for site pentesting instead of having to lug this damned Dell laptop around...