Notices

Did you try point to point instead of address to address? Keep in mind Modrana doesn't support map rendering offline. It is just routing and to be honest without maps I wouldn't like to drive from Poland to Czech Republic.

Maybe this works: use the (partially) download method - so download the maps from the route first and then start the offline routing. I haven't tried this method myself, so I am not sure if this works.

The Following User Says Thank You to t-b For This Useful Post:
Posts: 391 | Thanked: 908 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ suncity
Hi!

I used offline routing recently and it worked. I can confirm that maybe you should try the Point to point option (you should download the start and end point tiles of course). After calculating the route you will have the option to download tiles only around the route.

jm

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justmemory For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by justmemory View Post
Hi!

I used offline routing recently and it worked. I can confirm that maybe you should try the Point to point option (you should download the start and end point tiles of course). After calculating the route you will have the option to download tiles only around the route.

jm
Nice - I might also give that a try then. Btw - do you know what will happen with the offline tiles data once you have chosen another route?

The Following User Says Thank You to t-b For This Useful Post:
Posts: 391 | Thanked: 908 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ suncity
Originally Posted by t-b View Post
Nice - I might also give that a try then. Btw - do you know what will happen with the offline tiles data once you have chosen another route?
In Map/Tile storage you have the option to set whether storage tiles or not. I guess if you choose not to store tiles maybe modrana deletes these tiles after you quit.
If you downloaded the tiles of a route for offline navigation you have to store these tiles of course and these tiles are kept on the device (or SD card) until you delete them. It does not matter whether you choose another route or not. This is true for the png-s (image file storage). If you choose sqlite storage method I do not know how to delete specific part of the downloaded tiles (maybe you should edit the sqlite databases).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justmemory For This Useful Post:
Posts: 188 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Apr 2013 @ Poland
Originally Posted by justmemory View Post
Hi!

jm
I didn't mention this before, I tought this is clear but it is not. How can I do point to point navigation when modrana doesn't load offline maps even when they are selected as default? I tried everything including clear config files, app reinstall and even downloaded and unpacked maps again, nothing works...

EDIT: And when Im back online with selected monav on device maps modrana downloading online maps (I can tell because celluar data transfer is rising when I go around the maps.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ridd92 For This Useful Post:
A couple of notes (it's not clear to me whether you already know all of this, so sorry if I'm just repeating things you already know):

As explained by t-b, the offline "maps" downloaded for offline routing are only the "metadata" that allows routing, but not the map tiles themselves -- so routing will still work, but there won't be any maps rendered, which is not much fun...

So obviously, if you want map tiles, they must be downloaded sometime when you are connected to the network. Assuming that "Map->Tile Storage->Store downloaded tiles" is set to "ON", any tile that is downloaded will be stored, and will appear again later even if there is no data connection. However, a few things to note:

1. It seems to me (?) that even when map tiles are available, modrana still first tries to download new tiles, before rendering the existing tiles; so I find that when offline, things generally work better if I explicitly tell modrana not to use the network at all (Options->Network->Network Usage->Network: don't download map tiles).

2. Note that tiles are per-zoom-level: so even if you've downloaded the tiles for a specific region, and then while offline you go back to that region, but are in a different zoom level, no map will be rendered. (It would actually be nice if modrana behaved more like mappero in this respect: mappero scales downloaded tiles from different zoom-levels to the current zoom-level, if nothing better is available...).

As explained in previous responses, in the Download menu you can download the tiles for the area around a route / track / current location / current view, and choose how many zoom levels up and down to download in addition to the current zoom level.

With the above, I am able to use modrana offline with much success.

Hope this helps!
Dov

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dovf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 188 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Apr 2013 @ Poland
Originally Posted by dovf View Post
A couple of notes (it's not clear to me whether you already know all of this, so sorry if I'm just repeating things you already know):
No need to be sorry, non at all. actually your post have been very helpful to me. Thank you very much.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ridd92 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Ridd92 View Post
Hi there all. Be aware, there will be some ancient questions in my post. I need offline navigation working as Im going from Poland do Czech Republic. I've downloaded maps from data.modrana.org and unpacked them into monav folder in maps, everything went well.

But now, I did everything covered in here: https://wiki.maemo.org/ModRana_offline_routing_guide

Modrana still works only online, even with proper settings, when Im offline the app still tries to download maps and of coure failing as there is no data connection. The only available map area is the part downloaded by app when I was online, Sorry for not reading whole 200 pages as I need it working soon and have no time to look for solution through all this pages. here are some screenshots. What am I doing wrong?

http://i63.tinypic.com/1zvzui8.png

http://i64.tinypic.com/52cnjc.png

http://i68.tinypic.com/bjaoab.jpg
The answer is unfortunately quite simple - modRana on the N900 currently only supports offline routing, not yet offline map rendering. So you can currently find a way offline, but not render an areae from the same data.

Some progress in offline map rendering is being made via libsomscout-server on Sailfish OS & Linux desktop, but I'm not sure if there are any plans from running libsomscout-server also on the N900, which precludes this from being useful by modRana users on the N900.

So I'm afraid there is nothing at least in the short-term that modRana can provide with regards to direct offline map rendering.

The closes to it is probably to use the batch tile download functionality modRana has on the N900 to pre-download map tiles for your expected travel area (over say WiFi), so that you have something to see on the map once you enter the no-Internet are. And you can use the offline routing to complement this for route finding.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Pre-download doesn't work for me (nothing is saved). I disabled isTheStringAnImage and it fetched that: 'We're sorry...</h1><p>... but your computer or network may be sending automated queries. To protect our users, we can't process your request right now.' instead of tiles. Is it a chance to avoid google protection (captcha)? Some API Key?

All file:
<html><head><meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"/><title>Sorry...</title><style> body { font-family: verdana, arial, sans-serif; background-color: #fff; color: #000; }</style></head><body><div><table><tr><td><b><font face=sans-serif size=10><font color=#4285f4>G</font><font color=#ea4335>o</font><font color=#fbbc05>o</font><font color=#4285f4>g</font><font color=#34a853>l</font><font color=#ea4335>e</font></font></b></td><td style="text-align: left; vertical-align: bottom; padding-bottom: 15px; width: 50%"><div style="border-bottom: 1px solid #dfdfdf;">Sorry...</div></td></tr></table></div><div style="margin-left: 4em;"><h1>We're sorry...</h1><p>... but your computer or network may be sending automated queries. To protect our users, we can't process your request right now.</p></div><div style="margin-left: 4em;">See <a href="https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/86640">Google Help</a> for more information.<br/><br/></div><div style="text-align: center; border-top: 1px solid #dfdfdf;"><a href="https://www.google.com">Google Home</a></div></body></html>

The Following User Says Thank You to ontime For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
modRana 0.52.3 has been released!
So this is it - finally a new modRana release! While this is mostly a bug-fix release, it still brings support for using the OSM Scout Server layers:

See the OSM Scout Server thread for more information & how to properly setup OSM Scout Server on your device so you can (at last!) enjoy offline rendered maps on your Sailfish OS device.

I've updated the modRana OpenRepos package yesterday and will also submit an update to Jolla Store in about a week if no serious issues surface till then.

The N900 package has not yet been updated as I want to give it a bit more testing, but it should also be updated within a few days.

As for what you can expect in upcoming modRana updates:
  • improved map drawing code, this is actually quite far along, just not yet stable enough for release
  • support for more OSM Scout Server features such as POI search and routing
  • improved routing interface
  • improved track recording
  • better layer and overlay management
  • POI search improvements
Changelog:
Code:
- add OSM Scout Server Day & Night map layers
- add OpenRailwayMap layers
- add OpenFireMap layers
- update URLs for OpenTopoMap, Hike & Bike and Land/Hill Shading layers
- automatic tile download thread count now can be set in Qt 5 GUI