Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Haven't been round TMO much for ~several wks, just quickly catching-up on all the developments...
Geezus Kimmoli's proving to be a one man manufacturing army, the amt of projects he's juggling, he must be a very busy man!
Jolla should just hand him the bare SoC for next phone and start manufacturing whatever Kimmoli builds around it.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 182 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Jolla should just hand him the bare SoC for next phone and start manufacturing whatever Kimmoli builds around it.
Very goog idea! Before that Kimmoli should make eink-wireless charging-keyboard-combo-toh. Like Swiss knife with everyhting on it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Metsämies For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Metsämies View Post
Like Swiss knife with everyhting on it.
A TOH with built in swiss card could actually be useful. (:

The Following User Says Thank You to evk For This Useful Post:
Great work, kimmoli - hats off to you.

Originally Posted by kimmoli View Post
This is too difficult, to make eInk to be main display. Maybe a eReader app could be done to view text-files.
An eReader app on eInk, assuming we can shut off the main display on the Jolla, would extend battery life for quite some time (I read books/PDFs from the phone at least an hour a day...).

It is time for scotch-tape-proto ...lets connect that 2.7" display to the phone...
Great photos! Thank you for all your work.

The Following User Says Thank You to zlatokosi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 2,744 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Espoo, Finland
I got some more auspicious communication from one display manufacturer, but it might take a while.

Unitl then, work on 2.7" version will slowly continue.

meanwhile, the badger is ATMEGA328 based, which has low amount of memory, and therefore the display buffer is located on the SD card.

I haven't yet figured out is it possible to have the bufffer internally if use micro with larger RAM.

But it also can show images (or ebooks) stored in the SD card, so it could be that this SD card is available externally (?) (but the display will only work when SD card is inserted)

Early 3d sketch:
Attached Images

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to kimmoli For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
eInk screen "E-Paper GDE035A3": http://www.aliexpress.com/item/E-ink...570825797.html, $ 28 US.
Returning to this, actually it is "Dalian Good Display Co.,ltd" product.
This needs +15V, -15V, +22V and -20V voltages and waveforms generated externally. (Recommended to use external ASIC)

Reminds me of one year-ago epaper project with kindle display, which i fustrated to while not getting timings right..

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kimmoli For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Returning to this, actually it is "Dalian Good Display Co.,ltd" product.
This needs +15V, -15V, +22V and -20V voltages and waveforms generated externally. (Recommended to use external ASIC)

Reminds me of one year-ago epaper project with kindle display, which i fustrated to while not getting timings right..
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-6...140129_002.jpg
Do I understand it right that this 3.5" eInk screen cannot be used for TOHeInk? Now you make me sad Kimmoli!

The Following User Says Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
Now you make me sad Kimmoli!
Don't cry... It just needs a lot more hw around it (and work) compared to the smaller one.
And the get-it-working-properly odds are smaller.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kimmoli For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
You made my tears dry out Kimmoli.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
back to this project while waiting prints...

Got one loose 2.7" display today and breakout board.

Then need to pick a microcontroller to do the job. atmega328 or any other used on arduino would be easy as has most of the sw ready. but i have something personal against atmel. maybe i will make testing with teensy 3.1 which i should have few somewhere.

This is familiar to me, supports most of the arduino libraries. Programming firmware to the K20 used on teensy custom designs requires auxiliary cpu, but it can be hooked on programming adapter (this is the small MINI54 on the lower left corner)

Have to check memory requirements of used libs, but this has 256kB flash and 64kB ram (compared to atmega328 32kB flash and 2kB ram) so maybe no sd card needed...

below is first block-diagram.
Attached Images

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to kimmoli For This Useful Post:

Tags
eink screen, the other half