Right, I have been using vnc on my N900 with port forwarding setup and it's been working perfectly for months. Recently however I have been unable to connect to my home machine off the network...

Just wondered if this was my setup or T-Mobile in the UK, for some reason I keep loosing things like MSN and then a month later it works!?! I have changed to another port but no joy.

Any ideas? thanks.

What do you mean by port forwarding? Do you mean on your router/firewall at home, or over ssh?

If the former, you could try the latter - if you can run an ssh server at home, then you can put vnc and any other tcp protocol over it so that you get both the protection of ssh, and you are not at the mercy of t-mobile's policies.

But to find out if t-mobile is blocking you, you could try asking them - some ISPs can be quite transparent about their policies.

The Following User Says Thank You to paulkoan For This Useful Post:
thanks. In no ways will I ever get an answer from T-Mobile, have you ever rang ur provider and asked a technical question? It took me an 30 mins just to get them to realise they were blocking MSN.

I have portforwarding on my router to allow an external connection not exactly secure. I am just unnable to connect from outside my network

Yeah, my provider is iinet (Australia) and they are excellent, so asking would be a reasonable step - though I know this is rare.

Are you able to enable logging for rules on your router? Some can do this, so you can at least see whether the connection made it to the router or not.

However, if they are blocking any traffic - MSN, VNC or anything else, they can no longer be considered an ISP and you should take your money elsewhere.

Most cell Companies in the UK are blocking something, Skype, MSN. Most want the end user to pay more for the extra "feature full" web. I have always been able to connect to my home pc over 3G but alas this is no longer the case, wondered if T-Mobile had blocked the traffic, I have changed the port number but to no avail, perhaps is just my setup...?

Posts: 302 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ England
If you aren't tunnelling your VNC connection with SSH then I HIGHLY suggest it. Mostly for security but it will also encrypt it and it may get around some restrictions (Some, definitely not all)