Originally Posted by msa View Post
for a device thats capable of doing telephoning, its just too big.
I've already got a phone !!!

Originally Posted by Ludio View Post
Well if this is a Dell hardware design they could take it and shrink it down... I find it simpering and attractive... The load time is kinda horrendous... I would think it's running the latest cortex a8 or similar.. Too boot that long is questionable... It would be a god work desk device if the immediate Internet is not at your disposal but it's too big to be a real everyday device... N900 of the same lenght bit with the streaks thickness would be boss... Future iterations I am sure will have such qualites it's just a matter of patients... Dell streak is a sexy piece hardware though... I like gadgets!
I didn't intend to be a patient ...
And I don't want to continue to be a patient, undergoing experimental nSeries experiments.
I'm actively looking for an upgrade to the n810 ...
Bigger screen w/ stylus, higher resolution, physical keyboard, linux, something as good as maemo-mapper (what happened to gnuite.com???), and still pocketable. Oh ... Nokia, or whomever else (Dell?), providing reasonable support it for a period of time longer than a couple of battery replacements!

What's wrong with a video-speaker-phone that's big enough to see? You'd look really silly holding a videophone up to your ear

The n810 is a damn good product. I thought only Micro$#!+ had a policy of making good hardware obsolete by using proprietary drivers and software to force hardware upgrades to match forced software upgrades that cost more money and provide LESS than what was originally purchased !!!

Now, I'm looking at the Streak, the Fujitsu uSeries, the Pandora, and whatever else I can find to fit the bill that isn't "abandoned", and hopefully won't be anytime soon.

Originally Posted by SpencerNSO View Post
Is there any real talk on attempting to porting Maemo or the smartphone Meego OS(when it's released) to Dell Streak?
I don't want to say which is the best device for anyone else.
For me, an updated version of the N810 would be perfect. I was disappointed when I found that they shrunk the N900 to its current size.
I am definitely interested in the larger screen but not too big (again for me) on the Dell Streak, wish there was a physical keyboard, but oh well...
I am really enjoying the Maemo OS on the N900 and I would love to continue to use it on the Dell Streak when it's released in the US.
I'm fairly end-user GUI savvy, but wouldn't know where to begin to installing a non native OS on such a customized device as a smartphone/tablet.
I did see a few previous posts regarding flashing or porting an OS to the Streak, but it still seems that it may be possible.
Is anyone seriously looking into this?
Me TOO

There IS a physical keyboard for the streak ...
I dunno how good of a fit it is though.

http://www.pocketables.net/2010/07/l...-keyboard.html

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
It's not for the streak as such, its the Di Novo mini which has been out for ages. Its a blue tooth keyboard + trackpad with a lid.

Still only 800 x 480 - I want 1024 by 600

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anthony_barker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by swajime View Post
There IS a physical keyboard for the streak ...
Nah, that's for Windows/Windows Mobile machines. Note the Fn+Enter = CTRL+ALT+DEL combination

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
Yeah I think its meant to be more of a media remote for PC entertainment centres from your sofa.

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
The Streak was finally announced in the US. They surely lost a lot by delaying so much. If it all was to get a deal with AT&T for a $250 subsidy, then totally not worth it.

Still coming only with Android 1.6 until September. Dell could have used the time since the UK launch to ship with 2.1, but didn't. At $550, I'd pass without looking twice.

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
At $550, I'd pass without looking twice.
Back in the day when this was an internet tablet forum for the N770/N800 the members would have creamed themselves over a device such as the Streak. This was what we were clamouring Nokia to give us. Naturally we were completely ignored by Nokia but now Dell has come through with a major fulfilment of our wish list.

In the meantime the site has become a mobile phone forum and all that has changed. The once passionate debate by enthusiasts committed to the form factor is no more.

Perhaps the multitude of iPhone competitors with varying screen sizes up to 4.3” has blurred the boundaries. No harm to that either - choice is good.

Nonetheless I am bemused by the shift, what was once intensely desirable and unattainable is now available and yet receives cursory dismissive attention.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rebski For This Useful Post:

Tags
competition, dell, fresh-air, i has it ;), just shoot me, no keyboard, no linux, notnokia, wotnokia?