Active Topics

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
So there are 5 batches scheduled to ship, each one with iteratively improved hardware and software.

Every iteration includes updates to hardware, mechanical design, and software. We will be contacting each customer to confirm their shipping address, which modem and power supply they would like, and to confirm which shipping batch they are currently scheduled to receive — and to give them an opportunity to select a later batch than they are scheduled for, should they prefer to wait for a later iteration. As slots in a particular early batch free up, we will open it up for others in a later batch to join in, according to the date of the order.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Its not clear to me why I would want the early batch if the device is inferior to the one you get in the next batch. Especially if the hardware is improved with later batches. Can anyone help explain?
Anyways, the first batches are Sepember and they have several additional batches till Q2 2020.
I think what you write is it. You can trade get it sooner for get it better. IMO, a person electing for a hand-built 1st-run-board device is certainly the epitome of the poster-child "early adopter". That's my best explanation at least.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Might as well wait for the last batch... In the meanwhile, is anyone releasing a folding phone?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Yeah, I think I'm going to wait for either the Dogwood (January 7th – March 31st) or Evergreen (Q2 2020) release, too. Hopefully the 'teething pains' will be ironed out by then. Also, the latter release has a molded case, sounds fancy

Alternatively, if someone is interested I might sell my pre-order voucher/spot in the waiting line. You can buy my Purism account and simply change the shipping address, etc. My account has one of the $600 pre-order spaces, and that's how much I'd like for it in return. Any takers?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ThomasAH For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Would be interesting to now how many who will choose first batch..

* Batch Aspen is 0 series and a is just plain ridicilous pay full price for such beast. 0 series hw should be shipped to a small group of devs way lower price it is That's how Jolla and Nokia did it!

* The batch birsh is kind of beta 1 with triple price compared to pine64develkoper edition for lower price: https://store.pine64.org/?post_type=product&p=113155

* batch chestnust kind of iphone1 but still beta and still not sure if I will choose...

* Batch Dogwood still not stable but should be near final and I am ok with this one

* Batch Evergreen final version 1 "should:" be stable but who knows....

* Batch Fir beta 1 of version 2 and def not stable since they change chip.

And again fanboysish without ANY crititcs. I can't even laugh at their fanboyish discussion. /facepalm

https://offtopical.net/pg/?name=2019...podcast-47.mp3

offtopic but...

https://www.pine64.org/2019/09/05/se...shipping-soon/

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2019-09-07 at 12:46.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Would be interesting to now how many who will choose first batch..
The purism announcement sounds like you don't choose your batch so much as the batch chooses you. (Although in a more accurate but less amusing footnote you can opt for a later one when your batch is confirmed.)

I'm wondering what the individually milled case will be like. In my mind it's CNCd from a billet of aluminum, but the announcement doesn't really say. If you had that one you could impress people in bars by showing how early you got your Librem 5.

They've just put out a FAQ about the shipping batches: https://puri.sm/posts/librem-5-batch-faq/

It answers at least some of the questions that people have been asking. (I'm not going to get involved in any discussions about whether the answers are good or bad ). They say that the FAQ will be updated with more info if people ask for clarifications or ask other questions.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pacman For This Useful Post:
I would assumed that this was the answer to, "will early batches get software updates as later batches come out," but the way the last announcement phrased the batch descriptions, I wasn't 100% sure:

Q: Will all software updates be released for all shipping batches of the Librem 5? If I get batch Birch, will I get the same software updates as later batches?

A: Yes! All batches will receive the same software updates at the same time. That means new (and updated) applications will arrive at the same time, no matter which batch you received.
Clearly I should have posted a question, since they haven't given a more detailed description of the early batch's lovingly handcrafted case.

New news! (Vocab builder: that's a "pleonasm").

I got an email today from Purism asking me to rank the top three batches I'd like, approval-ballot style I suppose.

We will use your preferences along with your priority and place in the
order queue to determine which batch to assign you.
It doesn't mention just what my place in line is, and frankly after two (!??!! really?!) years I don't remember just when in the campaign I paid. Not sure what I'll do vis-a-vis impatience vs pragmatism, but it's time to "put my mouth where my money is" to invert an expression.

I can rule out batch A, just because rev. 0 boards are always obvious from the hand cut traces and tiny skywire re-routes. My inclination is batch C onward. Do I wait for the tooling to be ready and the molded cases to be produced? Or does the cachet of the "individually milled" case have a certain allure?

Obviously if I'm using SFOS as my daily driver and have a UBPorts OPO and N9 as my backups, I have a certain tolerance for quirks . . .

Anyone else got the email? Any thoughts?

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
i did this:

1. chestnut
2. birch
3. dogwood

EDIT: thanks for the vocabulary word (see what i did there?)

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to wolke For This Useful Post: