Active Topics

Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
(citation needed)
Originally Posted by somedude View Post
inflation (economics 101)
Actually it was a valid question, because i bungled up. What I wrote wasn't what I tried to say.

I tried to say that the stock is relatively cheaper now than then. Because a 1998 dollar is worth more than a 2011 dollar. You'd get more food for a dollar in 1998, and if you put it in the bank you'd get interest on it. I turned it around when trying to communicate that.

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Off topic...woow... Wal-Mart Stores have over 2 000 000 employees. That is Cool
you mean would be cool if they were not the devil incarnate

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

The Following User Says Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by richwhite View Post
Next week we'll be hearing that LG want to buy Nokia. Or maybe Panasonic. Hell, Sega perhaps?
Nokia stock went down another 4% today in Helsinki. At this rate, even Sega can afford to buy Nokia soon.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Nokia stock went down another 4% today in Helsinki. At this rate, even Sega can afford to buy Nokia soon.
Nokia is going down.
The only remaining question is when will it happen and how.

I think they need a miracle (not iPhone killer, but All-other-phones killer) now to recover. The question is how long can they endure and what other assets does company have?

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by volt View Post
But I want to go back to the what if... Does anyone have any entertaining visions on what Samsung would do to the different operating systems, or the Nokia brand name?
Of course, I have a Grand vision:
Nokia will go Bada

seriously, what would Samsung gain by buying Nokia? The only thing would be Navtec as I can think of.

If anyone is to buy Nokia it would be someone like HP, Dell, Asus or something, a solid HW house with an urge for mobile phones. But a merge with ZTE or Huawei is more likely (but very unlikely still)

If Samsung bought Nokia, they would be the biggest phone manufacturer in the world. Someone who worked in Korea for a while told me that the Koreans were of the mentality that unless it was to become the biggest in the world, it wasn't worth doing it. This would be big.

A big company with a whole lot of software patents. It could topple over the patent cold war of this industry.

Also, Nokia has been said to have some neat stuff hidden in R&D they'd never seen a market for.

Honestly though, I'd see more sense in Apple buying it, but I won't go there.

A lot of European "quality" brand names have been bought up by the Chinese the last couple of years, so that's clearly an possibility here, too.

Right now, though, that's not on the rumour mill yet.

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 233 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ São Paulo, SP, Brasil
Originally Posted by volt View Post
For once Eldar doesn't seem to know anything but is speculating that Nokia may have put out this rumour themselves, to inflate the price for Microsoft.
Eldar is an assbutt. :P

Eldar is an assbutt, but that aside he has been right more times than anyone else. On the N900, he was about the only one right. People here hate him, but the haters tend to be wrong about the facts where he tend to be right.

I am sure Eldar believes in the Microsoft/Nokia buyout, and I am sure he has some information to back it up. That doesn't mean he's right, but it probably means he's got some qualifications to make a qualified guess. Related to the Samsung rumour, though, he speculates like anyone else, giving an opinion instead of hints, facts or claims.

Last edited by volt; 2011-06-09 at 00:13.

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
It is a rumour and will stay a rumour, samsung are not in the position to buy out Nokia unless it goes for a rediculously low figure.

Maybe they should buy this community instead !.

Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
It is a rumour and will stay a rumour, samsung are not in the position to buy out Nokia unless it goes for a rediculously low figure.
Samsung is way bigger than Microsoft.

And today's value of Nokia is ridiculously low, due to Nokia's short to middle term income drying up over a February night.

Last edited by volt; 2011-06-09 at 00:23.

Tags
nokia goes bada, nokia goes boom, nokia goes bust, samsung rumors