Hello Everyone,

I have followed this tutorial http://wiki.maemo.org/N900_USB_networking which explains how to setup the N900 for USB Networking. I have it setup to be fully automatic on Ubuntu and the N900. When I plug in the USB cable and select PC Suite mode the network is setup. I can SSH to my device etc.

However there is one issue I am having and I think it has more to do with Ubuntu's network connections than the N900. Basically when I add the entry for the N900 to my /etc/network/interfaces my eth0 connection vanishes.

I have my eth0 connection setup using the System -> Preferences -> Network Connections. My eth0 connection is set to have a static IP for my workstation.

Every time I add the N900 entry and restart the network my eth0 connection disappears and I lose all Internet connectivity.

Is there a way I can have both connection running simultaneously? I cannot lose the Internet every time I connect my N900 to my system.

Both network connections are running on completely different IP's so running simultaneously should work fine. My eth0 runs on 172.* and my n900 runs on 192.168.2.15

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Joseph Crawford

I fixed this issue by adding

auth eth0

to my /etc/network/interfaces file just before the settings for the N900. For some odd reason there was no entry in this file for the eth0 interface. Once I added that everything seemed to work just fine.

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Penang/Malaysia
I cant get the USB networking on the setup right.. Can you help me?
I saw ur post on the USB networking in ubuntu
I dont understand the instructions in USB NETWORKING WIKI..
Cheers thanks

Posts: 172 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Albuquerque, NM, USA
Originally Posted by pang View Post
I cant get the USB networking on the setup right.. Can you help me?
I saw ur post on the USB networking in ubuntu
I dont understand the instructions in USB NETWORKING WIKI..
Cheers thanks
By far the easiest way to set up USB networking is just to use the MobileHotSpot app with the USB interface selected.
"Just works" automagically for me on Maverick.

Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by preflex View Post
By far the easiest way to set up USB networking is just to use the MobileHotSpot app with the USB interface selected.
"Just works" automagically for me on Maverick.
Don't know what you're talking about, it just works out of the box without any extra software for me.

You may want to explicitly set the MAC address for your N900 though, so Network Manager remembers its' settings. But once you do that, everytime I plug in the N900 it sees it and configures my laptops' IP address fine.

Originally Posted by tswindell View Post
Don't know what you're talking about, it just works out of the box without any extra software for me.

You may want to explicitly set the MAC address for your N900 though, so Network Manager remembers its' settings. But once you do that, everytime I plug in the N900 it sees it and configures my laptops' IP address fine.
MobileHotSpot uses DHCP. Nothing to set in NetworkManager.

Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Plug in USB an select pc mode and select your mobile provider under "mobile broadband" selection of network manager. That's it. I was actually quite surprised that it worked so easily without any additional steps.

Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
Plug in USB an select pc mode and select your mobile provider under "mobile broadband" selection of network manager. That's it. I was actually quite surprised that it worked so easily without any additional steps.
I don't think just tethering is what pang was talking about. If you do PC-Suite mode and select mobile broadband, you can't ssh from the pc to the phone. Your PC and your N900 actually get assigned different IP addresses from your mobile provider, The PC just treats the n900 like a modem.

With MobileHotSpot, the n900 connects to the internet, and then uses NAT and DHCP. The n900 is assigned the address 10.241.231.1, and your PC is 10.241.231.10.
I think this is what Pang was talking about. In this case, the tethering is just a convenient side-effect.

As an added bonus, back on the n900 you can disconnect from your mobile ISP, and then connect to a WiFi AP, and the n900 will tether your PC to the wifi. This is very convenient for me, as the range on my laptop's internal wifi card is terrible, and with this technique I can extend my laptop's wireless range as well.

Also, tethering with mobilehotspot works much better. When you tether with just PC-Suite mode, the PC and the N900 don't like to send/recieve data simultaneously. Internet usage on the N900 will drop your PC's connections, because the PC just sees the n900 as a modem. With MobileHotSpot, ONLY the n900 connects directly to the internet, so simultaneous connections aren't a problem.

Last edited by preflex; 2010-12-25 at 13:30.

Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Mobile hotspot and USB networking are two different things. I am aware of MHS advantages but he was asking about USB networking. And if he can't figure that, than MHS will be even bigger problem for him.

Hi,

I am using ubuntu maverick and my computer's ip is 192.168.1.5 and my broadband modem's ip is 192.168.1.1
Which ip should i use as gateway in n900?

I tried to change the ip of the n900 to 192.168.1.15 and followed the n900 usb networking wiki. I am not able to ping my n900 from pc and vice versa.

I want to ssh to n900 from my pc and want to use pc's broadband internet on n900

What am I missing? Please help me.

Thanks
Poomalairaj