Hello!

After coming from a terrible experience from using Dell Venue Pro (amazing hardware, but downright crap OS), I am planning on purchasing another device, and I have narrowed my options to three handsets:
  • Nokia N9
  • Motorola Droid RAZR
  • Samsung Galaxy Nexus

All devices are equally impressive in their own way, and the prices are almost identical. I am having a very hard time choosing one, so I turn to you, maemo community!

Also, I am not selling my Nokia N900. Ever. In fact, I already have some plans for it, once I will get a secondary handset.

Thanks!

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Amsterdam
IMHO I find the Motorola Droid RAZR a mighty ugly phone... and the Samsung Galaxy Nexus is not much better looking.

However my real problem with both are Android so far I'm still very unimpressed with Android OS.. anytime I had to use an Android phone I was disappointed.

My current N9 is one of the faulty Handtec onces and going back for RMA now... but I love N9 and will use it for the next two years as my phone. It's very pretty, it's the best VKB I've ever used. (Still hardware keys like the N900 are much better)

Hopefully after a couple of years we have some other proper phones on the market...

If it wasn't for the N9, I would go with Apple and buy an iPhone or hope that Blackberry is able to put an QNX phone on the market before going down too far....

Not a big help I know sorry

"Galaxy Note"

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to immi.shk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by immi.shk View Post
"Galaxy Note"
I knew someone will mention this device. I have considered it, but ultimately eliminated it as an alternative mainly because it is HUGE. And expensive.

Thanks for the suggestion, though

Droid 3 if you want a hardware keyboard.

Thanks for your replies so far!

I've done some conclusions, but I have not settled on a specific device yet. Here are pros and cons for each device, based on my observations.

Nokia N9

Pros
  • Beautiful design
  • Beautiful, slick and intuitive OS
  • Proper multitasking
  • Great camera
  • Great reception and call quality
Cons
  • Limited amount of apps
  • Questionable future update support
  • Uses Micro SIM

Motorola Droid RAZR

Pros
  • Extremely sturdy and very thin design
  • MicroSD slot
  • Good amount of apps available
  • Will be updated to ICS
Cons
  • Uses Micro SIM
  • Android OS is not as intuitive as Meego

Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Pros
  • Comes with ICS preinstalled
  • Fresh updates directly from Google
  • Amazing screen resolution (1280x720)
Cons
  • ICS is still not as intuitive as Meego on N9
  • Design doesn't have the premium feel that of the N9 or RAZR

So, any suggestions on which one should I choose?

Go for the the Galaxy Nexus as its has ice cream sandwich 4.0 its not your normal android os that the market is flooded with... Also HD Screen movies and videos will look flawless on it OLED DISPLAYS ARE THE FUTURE...

Sounds like this will be your main gadget and N900 is purely for linux-kicks.
In that case the N9 just flat out fails in all categories.
Clear Black = No it just regular ol' AMOLED
Sexy design = Very questionable, and quite dull
Polycarbonate = Cheap plastic
Very Intuitive UX = Not as intuitive as iOS or Android (you customize your way)
Top quality = Handtec problem

... so you could just grab a "cheap" 16GB iPhone 4 if you wanted to, as long as your keeping the N900. If you aren't planning on keeping the N900 then perhaps you can still consider the N9 if they crack it and make it as unique as the N900 (Aegis:shrugs)

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Sounds like this will be your main gadget and N900 is purely for linux-kicks.
In that case the N9 just flat out fails in all categories.
Clear Black = No it just regular ol' AMOLED
Sexy design = Very questionable, and quite dull
Polycarbonate = Cheap plastic
Very Intuitive UX = Not as intuitive as iOS or Android (you customize your way)
Top quality = Handtec problem

... so you could just grab a "cheap" 16GB iPhone 4 if you wanted to, as long as your keeping the N900. If you aren't planning on keeping the N900 then perhaps you can still consider the N9 if they crack it and make it as unique as the N900 (Aegis:shrugs)
Thanks for your reply. I am not fancy of iPhone 4, so it is immediately eliminated as an alternative.

I am having second thoughts about N9 as well. After finding out that it is not as open as N900, it just defeats the purpose of having one. I think I will go for Samsung Galaxy Nexus after all...

I know exactly how you're thinking radishface. I was this close to ordering an n9 tonight, but then saw I could actually get a razr cheaper.. it made the decision hard. Even though the Razr is a little ugly in comparison to n9, it's got such a high spec. I've never used android but have found maemo to be very good, my n900 still does things other phones could just never do, makes me think specs don't really make much difference when an OS is that good.. I'm torn

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oZmo For This Useful Post: