Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
Does anyone know how to directly interact with bluetooth Hands-free devices? I've got one of those bluetooth-enabled watches that allows for display of caller ID information, vibrating alerts on incomming calls, etc, but no actual audio support. The biggest short coming of this type of "notification only" device is the host phones which don't do much more than provide phone numbers to display. I was thinking thanks to the power of Maemo it might be possible to do more, i.e. have custom messages appear on the display due to other events such as emails, RSS updates, etc. If nothing else at least manually trigger the notification so that the watch would beep/vibrate to alert you of things happening on your tablet.

Any ideas on where to start? I've found lots of sporadic bluetooth info around the web, but nothing related to actually interacting with HFP devices for more than just audio routing; I have a suspicion that there's some kind of underlying SPP, but don't see anything with rfcomm when watch is active/linked to tablet..?

Any help greatly appreciated!

The Following User Says Thank You to jolouis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
do a search for bluetooth handsfree through the forums. the app samr developed which nearly worked pulled lots of info from my nokia 6220, and even without the audio would be a great tool for phoone control.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I've been looking into this as well, and the documentation available aside from the HFP spec itself is, well, not much - and not easy to find. Also, the HFP device I have seems to be a bit buggy, but I can't tell if it's me or the device. If you make any headway on this, please post it here (or PM if appropriate), and I'll do the same. Also, I've noticed a bug in which an rfcomm connection will hang and drop on the N900, and I'll be filing it shortly. If you come across that while working on this, please add any relevant info to the repor. Thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: