Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Co-determination talks in late April to concern 16,000 workers worldwide

Co-determination talks means negoations between employer and unions. Required by law for finnish enterprises when they start sacking lot of people. Number of people who lose their jobs usually goes down quit a bit, so that 16k figure is larger than what the final figure will be. These are of course just for people directly emplyed by Nokia. Lots of software jobs related to Nokia are going to get wiped out in other busineses as well.

Oh well, I suppose it's was silly to think that Europe could actually compete in something that wasn't wine, cheese or vodka. Congrats to Silicon Valley.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
I think you need to change the sensationalist title somewhat.

According to the article Nokia R&D consists of 16000 people and it is R&D that will get job cuts. That is not the same as saying that all 16000 R&D people are to be laid off.

The Following User Says Thank You to generationally For This Useful Post:
well nokia gotta get profits, but not having alot of marketshare but by cutting jobs.

its sad, even at big depression nokia pulls huge numbers.
unlike sony, stringer was put by japanese to fire alot of people, cuz he is western, looks nokia doing something similar.
sad thing, its they never recover marketshare while they use windows

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by jo21 View Post
well nokia gotta get profits, but not having alot of marketshare but by cutting jobs.
Yes. A shame that the job cuts are more likely to be WORKING jobs instead of executive or management, where Nokia seemed to have the worst problems. I've long felt that Nokia simply didn't like engineers, salespeople and customers telling them what the customers wanted.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Oh well, I suppose it's was silly to think that Europe could actually compete in something that wasn't wine, cheese or vodka. Congrats to Silicon Valley.

Tags
depressing, top-heavy