Does nokia still have all the sources for Maemo and Meego?

The Following User Says Thank You to Akkumaru For This Useful Post:
Posts: 277 | Thanked: 285 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Poland
Originally Posted by delmar View Post
I know there is 0 chance and that will not happen, but why don't give a try?
Because of the things you just said.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to szymeczek34 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 509 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Mexico/Germany
For this phlegnmacy we have wars, the NSA is spying us with oficial permision of our government.
With this phlegmacy the wall still stand and we are still one step from WW 3.
O wait. The german wall is down but we are another time near to on step to WW 3.
So go away, put on television, take the blue pill

The Following User Says Thank You to chilango For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
Originally Posted by Akkumaru View Post
I guess yes. Not sure though.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to panjgoori For This Useful Post:
Posts: 57 | Thanked: 106 times | Joined on Mar 2015 @ Gotham
[QUOTE=Akkumaru;1505866]Does nokia still have all the sources for Maemo and Meego?[/QUOTE
Yeah!

The Following User Says Thank You to Foxkia For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
The answer is Yes and No

Yes - The sources exist
No - It's really no use anyway.

Even as backups of source code repositories exist, it still means it is fairly difficult to do anything useful, and fairly doubtful if any new development can be easily started.
The whole SW production machinery (building, testing, qc, packaging, signing,...) would have to be implemented really from scratch, without people who have done it before. It would be a fairly large task indeed.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
The bigger question is Nokia still has the people who know how to build those sources.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
The answer is Yes and No

Yes - The sources exist
No - It's really no use anyway.

Even as backups of source code repositories exist, it still means it is fairly difficult to do anything useful, and fairly doubtful if any new development can be easily started.
The whole SW production machinery (building, testing, qc, packaging, signing,...) would have to be implemented really from scratch, without people who have done it before. It would be a fairly large task indeed.
I'm sure I've posted it before somewhere, but any system that relies on perpetual maintenance and management by experienced operators is indistinguishable from a time bomb. Not a criticism of Nokia or the people who developed all this code and the infrastructure to use it, just my somewhat pithy and lame observation of the state of how things fall apart given time and without proper care. Probably not even unique to computers and software, either. Cars, bridges, you name it.

ed: perhaps I mean "logic bomb" per wikipedia's definition, but I've always used the terms pretty much interchangeably.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
I'm sure I've posted it before somewhere, but any system that relies on perpetual maintenance and management by experienced operators is indistinguishable from a time bomb. Not a criticism of Nokia or the people who developed all this code and the infrastructure to use it, just my somewhat pithy and lame observation of the state of how things fall apart given time and without proper care. Probably not even unique to computers and software, either. Cars, bridges, you name it.

ed: perhaps I mean "logic bomb" per wikipedia's definition, but I've always used the terms pretty much interchangeably.
You are correct in theory, however the failing in this idea is that no such ideal systems exist.

Everything that is structurally more complex than a lump of rock needs constant maintanance to continue even existance, not to mention continue operation.

The more complex any system is, the more maintanance it needs. Take any living organism as an example; most of the structure there exists just to continuously repair itself.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
and realistically is it worth it using those sources, or would it be better to simply take sfos, or even just mer and build around it.

The Following User Says Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post: