Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Our treshold level of nastiness differs, that is for sure.
And how did you determine this? I didn't provide my definition.

As for comparing to drunk. I don't believe anyone here is behaving like a drunk mofo. So the compare itself is a bit extreme.
His analogy was appropriate in the context used.

As for the old canard that people are their true selves while drunk, it is not always an exaggeration of the self they present to others. It's anecdotal, but one example is my best friend, who is the nicest guy you'd ever meet when sober, but the meaniest, nastiest drunk I've ever encountered. What you see when he's drunk is not his altered or revealed true self, but rather the pain he's hidden away. So, please, let's dispense with overly-simple analyses of personality.

Anyway, you're struggling awfully hard to defend the boorish behavior of questioners while chastising the boorish behavior of answerers. How about a little intellectual honesty instead.

Last edited by Texrat; 2008-08-30 at 04:51.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
As for the old canard that people are their true selves while drunk, it is not always an exaggeration of the self they present to others. It's anecdotal, but one example is my best friend, who is the nicest guy you'd ever meet when sober, but the meaniest, nastiest drunk I've ever encountered. What you see when he's drunk is not his altered or revealed true self, but rather the pain he's hidden away. So, please, let's dispense with overly-simple analyses of personality.
Therefore, what we see here is the hidden pain of intellectuals?

The pain your friend has is part of himself (unsolved emotional wounds) which isn't dealt with. How do you know he's a healthy person? It surely doesn't sound healthy to me that he is carrying a lot of pain while only able to express this when drunk. It surely isn't normal to behave in such manner after drinking alcohol. Maybe he isn't a good example, an exception to the norm.

I don't see the relation between a forum and a drunk person. Are you drunk when you're on this forum? I don't know about your definition of drunk, but mine involves hardly or not being able to type on a keyboard. Perhaps a better analogy is having used a few glasses alcohol. However it appears to me the point is that this is one's leisure time playground where its justified to be mean to a person who asks for help no matter what their question is? Theres a saying: "The only bad question is the one not asked".

Anyway, you're struggling awfully hard to defend the boorish behavior of questioners while chastising the boorish behavior of answerers. How about a little intellectual honesty instead.
Because I can empathise with both groups because I've been in both situations and am in one of these situations almost daily, and given some answerers appear to have this elitist attitude that they feel its right to belittle someone who is asking for help, I find that pretty low and immature. It doesn't reflect the proclaimed wisdom they claim to have; which was my point in my previous post. Just like a parent should show the right example to his/her kids regulars are able to set the right example to newbies. Simple as kissing, I'd say.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Methinks thou doth protest too much.

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
There are about three or four levels of my responses to people asking for help on this forum, and all are modified by my perception of the level of user I may be responding to and their post counts.

Even google here does not always provide a good result.

Particularly aggravating is the poster who writes a they didn't search, just please solve their problem. Perhaps worse is the poster who when told the information is on the forum responds to my post asking me to look it up for them.

Some questions bear repeating, such as what is the cheapest phone/data plan, because they change with time.

I just started using fbreader again and could not deduce how to turn a page at a time (small scroll, 24 lines). I could not find it in the wicki links either. After about 15 minutes of searching I found what I thought was a good summary.

http://www.teleread.org/blog/2007/08.../#fbreadertips

and put it in the wicki.

I was looking for a good step by step guide for setting up rsync again. Almost all the threads here had snippets and a search for rsync on the wicki turned up zilch. I explained that and allnameswereout kindly posted me an excellent link.

Posters who do not seem interested enough to do some work should not expect us to do it for them.

Also there should be a link to Tablet Scene on more pages.
PLEASE use the Wiki

The Following User Says Thank You to gemniii42 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 122 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Paris, France
I think that the idea of Tablet Scene is worth exploring. I have been following this forum for almost two years and lately I was surprised by nasty answers more than by nasty questions. Hopefully the Tablet Scene will help out the newbies better even if those that are not aware of netiquette. The question is whether users will make the difference. Especially new ones.

Having said that most of the discours (and the same goes for posters) is interesting and civil. Sometimes a little to technical for me, but I do not pretend to be so intelligent.

Regards,
Antonio

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Regarding Wiki, I find it messy.

People read from top to bottom, and the first and the last are best remembered.

Now, I see for example on the main page a list called 'Internet' and then I see half of the entries about web browsing. On top of the Internet list is info about N770 (an EOL device from 2005). Why put that on top? I suggest to merge all useful data to the new wiki and let this wiki indeed die.

Once the new device and OS are out, or right before that, it is a good day to switch.

Before that precautions have to be taken.

On the Data Plans entry I thought of including a transparent map as picture allowing someone to click on the map instead of clicking on their country but I gave up on the idea. Anyway, this list is basically not related to any OS or device but the information is useful. Same abou the ebook list entry. Now, those can be moved to a new wiki with the old pointing to the new, correct? No implications except an extra click.

Or it might be better to tag data entries instead. E.g. "This data applies to OS2006, OS2007, OS2008, N770, N800." The list gets quite long though.

How are we going to manage these big piles of data? This is now a problem and requires infrastructure change. It won't become less of a problem by doing nothing; only worse. And without some kind of structure to change, it won't change in a good manner...

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
<snip/>
Ignore the itT wiki, it's not where new efforts are going.

http://wiki.maemo.org/

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
Regarding Wiki, I find it messy.
And regarding "Introducing Tablet Scene" it seems this thread has been hiijacked!
PLEASE use the Wiki

Tags
newbies, tablet scene